PDA

View Full Version : Ideas solicited: animated tear tracks

Spinland
11-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Tried searching and I get buried under hits for the version of "tear" involving ripping and rendering artifacts; so, screw it, gonna just post. ;D

I'm going to be doing a close-up of a "toon" style female face with tears streaming, and am pondering how I want to do the tear tracks. Texture with animated gradient, or does anyone have some clever and cool other ways to get the desired effect?

Thanks in advance!

Spinland
11-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Okay, methinks I've already answered myself to some degree. I'm planning to have a play with the 3rd Powers' 3D Sticker to do the tears themselves. Thinking on that more, why not make the tracks some geometry that expands in place as the tear travels? Interesting idea, or so it seems to me, and opens up some fun texturing possibilities.

Still love to hear other ideas!

Spinland
11-25-2016, 10:13 AM
Bah. I'm confusing myself. 3D Sticker is a Modeler tool: doesn't cover animating along the surface, only placement. Endomorph would be linear and not follow a curved cheek.

Yeah, lots of ways to animate moving along a surface, was just wanting to find fun ways to play with new toys. It was the track I'm pondering, not the tears themselves. Animated trans gradient still seems the most straightforward method. This is a fun project, though, and part of fun is experimenting with different ways to do stuff. :D

daforum
11-25-2016, 10:49 AM
There was an old "sweat" tutorial ( using particles )
Maybe you could adapt this technique to your needs.

See this thread for links etc.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?116589-William-Vaughan-Sweating-tutorial

daforum
11-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Another technique would be to morph the tear along a bone chain that runs down the face.
With the bone chain you can easily control the direction and shape of the path.
Add a stretch ( or a deformer that stretches ) to the teardrop to add to its animation.

Also spline control could do a similar thing as the bone chain.

ernpchan
11-25-2016, 11:06 AM
If you have Worleys Acid plugin you can leave a trail on a surface. But not sure it works with the latest LW.

Spinland
11-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Most excellent ideas, guys, thanks! I love my play time. ;D

raw-m
11-25-2016, 12:22 PM
DP Marker Pen may work, following a null down the face. Some kind of raycast trick, as well. Can't remember who it was, but there's a tutorial on YT showing how to raycast a 2d texture onto a 3D object (sorry, I'd post link but not at my computer).

Prince Charming
11-25-2016, 12:31 PM
Nearest Particle (dp node) with the proper particle animation will give good effect, and dodgy is the one with the ray tracing image tutorial. That could work as well, but a real sim will let you get contours of the face and gravity/ friction type stuff.

Spinland
11-26-2016, 07:07 AM
Very cool; thanks for the tips! :beerchug:

Spinland
12-03-2016, 07:00 PM
So, I haven't forgotten this side project, just been busy with client stuff. Here's a quick little test render of the approach I liked best in the end: animated the teardrop following a spline, and revealed the track with an animated gradient. I got to play with the 3D Sticker plugin from 3rd Powers when I put in the base track. Fun!

Lots of cool ideas from you guys, and some stuff to play with down the road (that sweat tutorial from William was killer cool, I've stashed a copy of the video in my must-do folder). Thanks again for all the tips!

https://youtu.be/Ciwji96SrcE

Surrealist.
12-04-2016, 12:18 AM
Pretty cool. One crit if I may. :) Or maybe I should ask first, is this the final timing of the tear? If not then probably you already have plans. If it is the final timing, then it seems a little unnatural for the tear to be in place as she is turning her head, and then start. It should be rolling already or start inside the eye and come out after she turns.

Also a slight little realistic detail. When the eyes well up with water it is a natural reaction to blink. Or I guess even scientifically, a blink itself is a way the eye creates tears to lubricate the eye. So there is a connection between the two very definitely. Between the tear gland and the act blinking.

This video shows it pretty clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APxZ6Y7yqZM

But if you research it there is a lot of data about blinking and crying.

But why do we care? It is like one of those things that people realize is not quite right, kind of the uncanny valley, or something that appears more plausible, but they don't know why. But attention to these details helps sell a CG shot.

Like expressions of a face. People know when it is no right. It just resonates or it doesn't.

Anyway, what should happen is the eye wells up with water first. And then after a few blinks the tears stream out.

And another details if the tears are red the eye should be filed with red water welling up under the bottom lid.

Now here is a shot where you are not really trying to be realistic. But at the same time having her turn her head and then blink producing a tear would go a long way to add more realism/emotion, to the shot.

In my opinion. :)

EDIT: Of course I realize this is just a test. Maybe you knew or already thought of these things. But at any rate, there it is.

Spinland
12-04-2016, 03:20 AM
That's great input, thanks!

Yes, this was just a proof of concept test but your points are well taken. From an artistic standpoint I want the tear to have already started and be revealed when she turns her head in sync with the vocal so, of your suggestions, having it start sooner will probably be the best approach for the effect I'm after. I still need to work on the whole timing of the sequence, that vocal is an older take and I'm still re-recording them. Man, I need more hours in the day! ;D

I think, given the tear will have already started, having her do a blink as you suggest while she's bowing her head would work and fit the timing of the reveal quite well.

Thanks again!

Surrealist.
12-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Cool. Love to see it when you have tit done. Yeah man. Time flies...

shrox
12-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Very cool; thanks for the tips! :beerchug:

I concur.

jeric_synergy
12-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Late to this party but: Splinegod had a "condensation running down a can" tute somewhere.

"Condensation" may be a better search term than "tears", since the latter has an ambiguous definition.

Spinland
12-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Late to this party but: Splinegod had a "condensation running down a can" tute somewhere.

"Condensation" may be a better search term than "tears", since the latter has an ambiguous definition.

Wicked! I'll search for it forthwith. Anything Larry put out there is worth having IMNSDHO. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, "tears" in the context of render artifacts and just plain ripping stuff up was killing me with false hits. ;D

Spinland
12-04-2016, 01:55 PM
I found his water drops (without hypervoxels, cool) tute over at Liberty3D, along with a few others I don't have yet. Just bought the lot.

jwiede
12-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Tried searching and I get buried under hits for the version of "tear" involving ripping and rendering artifacts; so, screw it, gonna just post. ;D

I'm going to be doing a close-up of a "toon" style female face with tears streaming, and am pondering how I want to do the tear tracks. Texture with animated gradient, or does anyone have some clever and cool other ways to get the desired effect?

Thanks in advance!

Worley's old Acid plugin (Polk collection) was great for that kind of thing. Definitely doesn't work past 9.6 on Mac, but might work in more recent versions on Windows.

Otherwise, seek out a "history shader"/"contact shader". Use particles/Hvs for tears, and use a collision map/wetmap to handle trails, I know Prometheus has been playing with that kind of thing lately, maybe ask him in PM what he's using for his history shader?

- - - Updated - - -

DP Marker Pen may work, following a null down the face. Some kind of raycast trick, as well. Can't remember who it was, but there's a tutorial on YT showing how to raycast a 2d texture onto a 3D object (sorry, I'd post link but not at my computer).

Yeah, I believe this is what Prometheus was using for his history/contact shader as well.

This is one of those things which really ought to be built into the particle system, all the data needed is right there, and coding a history shader is quite trivial given access to particle info. Decent-looking wetmaps are still overly-difficult and complicated to do in Lightwave, not even sure they're practical with just native LW.

MonroePoteet
12-04-2016, 03:56 PM
I'd use DP RMan MarkerPen, available here:

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm

Attached is a quick sample scene with a HUGE face (taken from here: http://tf3dm.com/download-page.php?url=head-base-mesh-87423). I selected points on the surface in Modeler to define the track of the tear, copied them into Layer 2, selected them in order and used CTRL-P to create an open curve. Send to Layout, and use Setup=>Curve to Spline to create a Spline. Loaded the WaterDrop object, scaled it up Big Time to match the HUGE head, then assigned the Spline Control in the Motions panel. Use the Z position of the WaterDrop to have it run down the Spline.

For the trail, I created a MarkerNull and assigned it the Spline Control as well. Then, modify the FaceSurface (which I created and assigned to all polygons in Modeler) in Image Editor to have a Procedural layer in both Color and Specularity, with the Procedural being MarkerPen. Use the Z Position of the MarkerNull to run it down the Spline, leaving the MarkerPen trail behind.

This was a REALLY quick setup, so no fine tuning. Hope it helps!

mTp

P.S. Remember you have to use VPR to see the Procedural Textures modifications made by MarkerPen

Spinland
12-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Thanks, John. Taking many notes, lots of fun stuff to experiment with. :D

Spinland
12-04-2016, 05:37 PM
I'd use DP RMan MarkerPen, available here:

Nice. Man, you guys rock! :jam: