PDA

View Full Version : Weird Problem Modeler

Tony3d
11-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Ever since upgrading to sierra, Modeler starts up randomly. Sometime when I run it I just get the a bouncing icon, other times it started up fine. Really weird. Anyone else have this issue?

DrStrik9
11-23-2016, 04:01 PM
New isn't necessarily better. I don't usually update systems simply because Apple offers it. It seems there are always issues that need to be worked around.

Surrealist.
11-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Maybe contact support and see if there are any known issues with Sierra. Otherwise a graphics card problem could have also emerged as a result. GC issues can do a lot of strange things. Even prevent programs from running. So maybe a new compatible driver might be a solution.

DrStrik9
11-24-2016, 04:53 AM
Maybe contact support and see if there are any known issues with Sierra. Otherwise a graphics card problem could have also emerged as a result. GC issues can do a lot of strange things. Even prevent programs from running. So maybe a new compatible driver might be a solution.

Unfortunately, Apple supplies the "most current" drivers with the OS, so there aren't typically any available alternatives.

Surrealist.
11-24-2016, 05:25 AM
Honestly I am not a MAC guy so I am just mainly talking general areas to look at which will be consistent with all hardware. How that stacks up with Apple I have no idea. But GC are definitely finicky with software or the other way around. That is for damn sure. So I would investigate that. There might be more than one driver that is compatible with the new OS. I don't know. Just a general suggestion.

lardbros
11-24-2016, 06:16 AM
I'm not sure how Mac's work, but on PC... very very occasionally when LW crashes, the process sometimes remains running... and only visible in the Task Manager.
When this happens, even if you can go and start a new LW but it will never actually be visible. It'll show in task manager, but the UI will actually never appear.

Each time you click on LW, it'll start another phantom instance of LW, that won't appear.

If this is happening on Mac, maybe it's the same thing? Can you check running processes, and kill them? Also, don't Mac's keep software open if you leave it open, even after a reboot? Might be worth reinstalling, just to see if it fixes stuff?

Tony3d
11-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Thanks for all suggestions guys. Has any other Mac owner had this issue after upgrading? Never had this happen in all the upgrades to the OS i made to the system before.

Markc
11-24-2016, 12:08 PM
Similar to DrStrik9, I don't upgrade usually until software isn't supported, or security updates stop (3 versions back usually).
So I have not had this issue, I assume your using latest LW.
Have you tried a new install of LW.

Tony3d
11-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Ok, I had the hub disabled, when I enabled it again all is good.

Markc
11-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Thats good news, the simple problems are the best :compbeati

jwiede
11-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Ever since upgrading to sierra, Modeler starts up randomly. Sometime when I run it I just get the a bouncing icon, other times it started up fine. Really weird. Anyone else have this issue?

Running fine with Sierra (10.12.1) here, on MacPro5,1 with NV980ti (non-EFI). Not encountering what you're describing w.r.t. random launch, nor the endless bounce bit (except for a couple times with known-bad plugin version present that caused crash at launch).

As always, try renaming LW/Preferences directory to something else (effectively resetting configs) and see if that helps?