PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Import and Object Parent-Child Structure not Importing

Blazoneer
11-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Hi all,

Loving Lightwave's render speeds and quality and overall logic flow. Rendered a page for a graphic novel -- total render time = 35 seconds. I'm used to much longer render speeds. Wow!

The only two remaining problems I can't figure are these:

1. It's absolutely impossible to pose a character out of the box. For instance, if I import an Turbosquid or Mixamo or Daz3d or Blender FBX or Collada file, the rigging doesn't survive into Layout. Youtube tutorials seem to suggest I have to open it in Modeler, assign a rig via Genoma. Ugh.

2. The object's parent-child structure doesn't survive import. For robots or cars, FBX files and Collada files import individual parts, but they are equally weighted and not attached to their parent objects. When I transform any aspect of the model, tires do not remain assigned to axles. Clothes do not remain affixed to bodies. Robot heads do not remain affixed to the neck.

So ...

How do import a rigged Mixamo, Turbosquid, Daz3d, or Blender FBX or Collada files into Lightwave Layout such that when I select, say, the hand object and rotate it -- the arm rotates or pulls as well ... currently, for human characters, if I select the hand -- the entire body is selected like some rock statue. There is no "arm."

and

How do I import an FBX or Collada file and maintain the object's parent-child relationships.

Thanks!

Ztreem
11-22-2016, 02:04 PM
In Layout you have: file->import->fbx import. That will load a fbx file with hierarchy and pivot positions intact.

prometheus
11-24-2016, 10:25 AM
I forgot to enter this one..

as for daz fbx export, there is a thread covering some of that...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?125710-PIPELINE-DAZstudiopro4-LIGHTWAVE&highlight=lightwave-daz+pipeline

donīt export collada from daz to lightwave, use the latest fbx version in your daz application, to move with inverse kinematics you would need to apply ik booster, check your manual on how to use that.
before you do apply ik booster, I would suggest to delete the standing transformer bone and the genesis bone, otherwise using ik booster will move your bones not properly with the mesh.

egearbox
05-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Hi, I left Lightwave for other projects for a while, but now I'm back and I'm trying to do the Daz3D to LW export thing. I got as far as using the FBX (2014) export, and I can get the figure to import correctly, but props like hair and clothes don't seem to import correctly. Have you been able to import a full character with hair and props, into LW?

egearbox
05-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Aha! I found the answer (part of an answer, anyway.) FBX imports the weight maps for the bones, and it appears that the skeleton that winds up being imported doesn't have weight maps for the props. So, the bones wind up not affecting those items by default.

Fixed it (partially) by going into Scene Editor and turning off all the weight maps on the bones. (See attached screenshots) The downside is that this may cause unintended deformation of the figure itself. The answer may be to have two rigs - one for the clothing, one for the figure, without and with weight maps. Anyway I thought I'd post this in case I can save other people some headbanging and wasted hours of frustration. :)

Original figure, showing that bones work for the figure but not the clothes. In Scene Editor you can see the weight maps.

Final scene, showing weight maps removed from foreground figure and clothes, still present in background figure and clothes.

I hope this helps somebody!

Ma3rk
05-14-2017, 05:04 PM
I hope this helps somebody!

That it did. Thanks for the tip.