PDA

View Full Version : parenting structure not surviving import

Blazoneer
11-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Hi All,

The layout program is awesome, but I'm struggling with a lot of Lightwave's import functionality.

If I import an FBX file or a Collada file, the parent-child relationship vanishes. Pre-Export -- Rotate or pose a character, and his sword and shield and clothes follow. Post-Import: rotate the character, and only the character rotates ... the only import option I'm offered is "scale." How do I pre-set model parent-child structure? For that matter, how do I also set the import to keep pre-existing rigging, so that I can pose the model rather than having to re-recreate bone system in Genoma?

Thanks,

prometheus
11-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Hi All,

The layout program is awesome, but I'm struggling with a lot of Lightwave's import functionality.

If I import an FBX file or a Collada file, the parent-child relationship vanishes. Pre-Export -- Rotate or pose a character, and his sword and shield and clothes follow. Post-Import: rotate the character, and only the character rotates ... the only import option I'm offered is "scale." How do I pre-set model parent-child structure? For that matter, how do I also set the import to keep pre-existing rigging, so that I can pose the model rather than having to re-recreate bone system in Genoma?

Thanks,

fbx or collada import reliability depends on what software you used to export these files, as well as what fbx and collada version, as well as what lw version you use
First things, where is the fbx or collada file coming from?
if you for instance use daz studio, you may get correct riggin with genesis1 but completely screwed up with other figures in daz.
So wheres the file coming from?

Daz studio and fbx import to lightwave should be working fine without the need to rig with genoma, if you use genesis figures, though in some cases you may prefer genoma if you like that to control with ik.
otherwise apply ik booster to the figure if you do not want genoma..but still want ik controls fast.

if you have props that isnīt animated in daz, you could parent the props to a bone, hand bones for instance.
Clothes are more complex, where you need to set the object cloth mesh to use bones from the specific character, or use cloth or bullet fx...but I donīt know at all what file you have used.

Ztreem
11-22-2016, 02:14 PM
It really depends of the software used to save the fbx file. Almost all 3d apps support fbx but not all supports all the features or versions of fbx. For example I just figured out today that c4d don't import fbx pivot positions only exports them.
Lightwave import/export fbx hierarchy, pivot positions, morphs, tracks & bones, but not vertex normals.