PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn off movement?

Alopex
11-22-2016, 02:07 AM
Hello!
I mainly use Lightwave for still images. I have usually no usage of animation. Still, when I place objects they often get "animated" by mistake and move out of picture. How do I "freeze" the timeslider? I.e. I want everything to happen on keyframe 0 not 1, 2 or 120.
Best,
Jakob

Meshbuilder
11-22-2016, 02:22 AM
Hi,

Don't think you can freeze it.
But change the time line to 0-1. Then it is at least more difficult to change the current frame by mistake clicking the timeline.

Do you know what you do that change the current frame to something else then zero?

Alopex
11-22-2016, 02:44 AM
Yes, I do that. But it is still kind of irritating.

ernpchan
11-22-2016, 03:39 AM
It sounds like you're moving stuff with auto key on. Turn auto key off and get into the habit of hitting 0 after you hit the create key button. Or add this script to your workflow.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/ef-static-channel/

Greenlaw
11-22-2016, 10:35 AM
You might also want to set the default in the Graph Editor to Step frames. This will snap poses and camera positions from keyframe to keyframe frame. I use this when I need variations of a scene for still images and wish to prevent interpolation between keyframes.

Norka
11-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Down in the very bottom left of Layout, you can untoggle the Position X/Y/Z, Rotation H/P/B, or Scale X/Y/Z (also any single or combinations of toggled/untoggled - ie. you can lock Pos Y & Z, and still slide on X, etc). In other words, you can totally lock stuff down once you have them set up just so... Or maybe this isn't what you are asking...

S0nny
11-22-2016, 11:00 AM
As suggested by ernpchan if you have Autokey create ON, every time you move something the keyframes are automatically created by Lw. I find this totally annoying expecially if you accidentally move the cameras doing archviz.
So for me is disabled by default and I do keys manually. To disable it press o, then where you see Autokey create default set off. If you want to create a Key for the selected items just use Enter on the frame you want, Del if you want to delete it.

rustythe1
11-22-2016, 11:17 AM
you can also open the scene editor and click the padlock to lock objects, they become un clickable in view, but if I am not mistaken you can still select them in the scene editor

Alopex
11-24-2016, 03:54 AM
Thank you for the replies. I know of the xyz-buttons but as I move the objects around I don't want to lock my objects. I also use the autokeyframe as I want the objects to stay after I moved them. What I do want is only one keyframe in the scene. I as I said I accidentally move stuff in the wrong keyframe and when I render I notice that something is wrong. But it seems that this is not possible then.

S0nny
11-24-2016, 05:40 AM
It is possibile indeed, I have already answered your problem in my previous post.

Here are the settings you are looking for:

With Autokey create OFF you are telling to Lw to not create any keyframe automatically, it's a global setting and it applies to everything. Remember to disable Autokey in the timeline. To creat manually the keyframe you need press enter, nothing get locked unless you want.

Surrealist.
11-24-2016, 07:12 AM
It sounds like you are definitely doing some kind of work with animation. I think I know exactly what you are talking about.

And this is annoying. Because sometimes you want a light on something when it is in a certain area during animation. Or you want to make adjustments to objects based on the camera movement or shot you have set up. So you move to that frame and adjust the light or item, camera etc. And it can be confusing.

Two things happen. 1) there is already a key frame usually at frame 0. And 2) You may have used different part of the timeline to make adjustments based on other factors of the animation. So you can wind up with three or more key frames.

Of course it is Autokey that contributes to this problem.

So to answer the question I think there is no way to make the keydrames always go to frame 0.

After this was annoying me for some time I wound up coming up with a solution that is not perfect but it is better to have a plan than just keep being annoyed or worse mess up a render you waited for. This happens to be all the time!

What I would do is first delete the frame at 0.

Then move the timeline where I think I want to make the adjustment. Then for that item it gets a key there. Only one on the timeline.

Then each time I want to move that item again I use the next or last key button to go to that key. Then make the adjustment.

Or I turn auto key off and just use the enter key and set the frame to 0.

Then just be hyper aware. And before rendering go to perspective and pull back to look at your scene and move the timeline and find the items that have moved.

I did not come up with anything better.

Danner
11-25-2016, 10:33 AM
I have acquired a muscle memory of the following combo: "enter, 0, delete, enter"

So everytime I modify something outside of frame 0 it copies it to 0 and deletes the current key. I do this everywhere except frame 0 or when I do want to have something animated. When you expand the timeline upwards you can also just drag the key you just created to frame 0, the key at frame 0 gets overwritten.

S0nny
11-25-2016, 10:39 AM
I have acquired a muscle memory of the following combo: "enter, 0, delete, enter"

I do exactly the same, at the point that sometimes I put 0, but it should be another frame ;D

jeric_synergy
11-25-2016, 11:01 AM
There is a plugin, a Channel Modifier IIRC, called "Static_Channel" which does exactly what you are doing, but unfortunately only on a channel-by-channel basis. If you make a keyframe, it gets copied to frame zero, and the original deleted.

It works great, the only drawback is apparently it is impossible to have it automagically applied to all channels or even groups of channels. Very sad.

For movement though, that's only 3 operations (XYZ)-- it'd be 9 if you do all 9 channels. --It might be practical to cut & paste relevant sections in the ASCII LWS file to make this easier.

An interesting thing is, it is an LScript (!!!)-- Channel Modifiers can be LScripts !!! If Motion Modifiers could be lscripts, it might be possible to have all 9 channels made static in one operation. That would be Good.

EDIT: Here it is. The author very kindly responded to my requests (years ago) for an all-channel version by investigating, but he said it was not possible. But, he might be mistaken.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/ef-static-channel/

EDIT2: I see Ernpchan beat me to it above. Drat. ;)

EDIT3: Although, really, if you're not animating anyway, why not just stay on Frame zero??

ernpchan
11-25-2016, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a way to add modifiers to channels via a script. I recall someone, probably jeric, asking this in the scripting section and in my test I was able to add a modifier to a channel.

Oh it was this thread which is talking about this same issue.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148214-Possible-adding-multiple-channel-modifiers-via-script

I can't recall if I got this to work, I think I did, as I didn't reply to the thread.

jeric_synergy
11-25-2016, 11:47 AM
IIRC (less and less likely nowadays) I took a whack at it, but I'm rubbish at scripting.

ernpchan
11-25-2016, 11:51 AM
I'll try to see if I have my test script. If I remember correctly I was able to add the Noisy Channel modifier to a channel so adapting it for something else wouldn't be hard.

jeric_synergy
11-25-2016, 12:13 PM
I'll try to see if I have my test script. If I remember correctly I was able to add the Noisy Channel modifier to a channel so adapting it for something else wouldn't be hard.

Thanks ernpchan!
++++

FWIW, I long ago asked that Layout have a user option to have ALL items start out as "static", for users whose majority of items are un-animated. In my work, for instance, the majority of items (objects and lights) are static. I think for many users this would be a superior workflow, and if it were optional users could choose which way works best for them.

EG, this is how After Effects works: all channels default to static, allowing users to compose layouts without worrying about inadvertent animation.

oliverhotz
11-25-2016, 01:56 PM
I think i have a tool in the ODToolset that does what you are asking for. Its called Disable channels and zero's out whatever channels you select and locks them.

Kevbarnes
11-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Create expression Value = 0
Apply to all channels that require locking

Maybe someone could write a script which applies the expression in one button click
or make a dialogue to apply to specified channels
and also a remove option

jeric_synergy
11-25-2016, 04:04 PM
I think i have a tool in the ODToolset that does what you are asking for. Its called Disable channels and zero's out whatever channels you select and locks them.

Oliver, that's not quite what Dan Dulberger's "ef_Static_Channel" does, by your description: ef_Static_channel lets you leave AUTO-KEYFRAME on, and move items around. It just immediately takes the resultant keyframe, copies the values to frame zero, and deletes the original. All transparent to the user.

This is NOT the same as zeroing out a channel. It's really slick. The channels can be of ANY value, they just will never ever have more than one keyframe.

++++

Create expression Value = 0....
Not the same: see above.

oliverhotz
11-25-2016, 10:27 PM
ahh. yeah. dan's script should work nicely

jeric_synergy
11-26-2016, 12:09 AM
ahh. yeah. dan's script should work nicely

Except for applying it 9 times. Ernpchan is looking into that.....

ernpchan
12-01-2016, 01:17 AM
A script to batch add/remove the ef_StaticChannel script is on my site. You can specify what channels to process.

http://www.ernestpchan.com/newtek-lightwave-scripts

jeric_synergy
12-01-2016, 12:57 PM
A script to batch add/remove the ef_StaticChannel script is on my site. You can specify what channels to process.

http://www.ernestpchan.com/newtek-lightwave-scripts

You, sir, are a rockstar! MANY thanks.

OP, did you see this?