PDA

View Full Version : Problem with zdepth pass (Octane)

squarewulf
11-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Sometimes when I apply an environment using a z pass I get this fringe around the foreground objects. The z pass seems to calculate maybe depth of field differently? I have distributed ray-tracing turned on and the samples are about the same for each pass.

You can see it around the antlers.

I've tried re-rendering with higher/lower samples, tried switching between 16/32 bit in after effects all with the same result. Any ideas?

Edit: Okay, so i'm not very bright. I fixed it. My scene is just way too deep, so I just rendered out multiple z passes.

squarewulf
11-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Okay so that didn't completely work, it's better but there's still a fringe. Must be an octane thing...

inkpen3d
11-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Don't use AA on the depth pass, otherwise, at the boundaries between your object and the distant background, the depth information becomes averaged by the AA process. Instead render the depth pass at double the resolution of your rgba frames in order to suppress pixellation at the edges.

squarewulf
11-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Don't use AA on the depth pass, otherwise, at the boundaries between your object and the distant background, the depth information becomes averaged by the AA process. Instead render the depth pass at double the resolution of your rgba frames in order to suppress pixellation at the edges.

Octane render has no AA option, it's all just sample based. Doubling the resolution would help though for sure though.

Gungho3D
11-22-2016, 06:20 PM
Have you attempted a depth pass using the LW renderer itself?

Yep I know, this is an extra overhead, but it may get you what you want more quickly than suffering through endless Octane tweaks.

I love Octane, it can produce amazing results, but it can also use a little help occasionally ...

inkpen3d
11-23-2016, 04:29 AM
Octane render has no AA option, it's all just sample based. Doubling the resolution would help though for sure though.

Apologies. I'm not an Octane user and simply thought you were doing the depth pass separately using LW renderer. :-(