PDA

View Full Version : sluggish modeller

Amerelium
11-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Seems I've identified the main reason for my Sleeper Service model being sluggish in modeller:

(4 GB total video RAM)

So, do LW use regular RAM beyond max without issue, or should i really get a better one?

Also, if latter, any recommendations? (have a preference for ATI over NVidia)

jwiede
11-20-2016, 01:59 PM
It isn't really unusual to see all VRAM in use, the graphics system will try to keep as many textures, shader programs, etc. and other frequently-used resources in VRAM as it can. Just because your VRAM appears full doesn't mean your scene alone is using all that memory, there are other graphics consumers in your system than just LW, and depending on what else is running, their consumption of VRAM for textures, etc. can be significant.

Can you describe your graphics hw a bit better? What make and model of graphics card is it? Are you using the latest drivers? How long is your uptime?

Also, are you using GPU-based render engine or CPU-based render engine? Are you running the preview renderer a lot?

With a bit more info, there's a much better chance folks will be able to answer your question, or provide better guidance. As it is, about all I can say is that VRAM being full might be a cause for poor performance, but you haven't provided enough info to confirm that, and it could as easily represent "normal operation" for your graphics.

Danner
11-20-2016, 03:08 PM
I was reviewing a scene made by someone else and they had 4k textures for pillows.. The scene took ages to load and it ran sluggish. I just changed some of the bigger offenders and it ran fine!

jwiede
11-20-2016, 03:58 PM
I was reviewing a scene made by someone else and they had 4k textures for pillows.. The scene took ages to load and it ran sluggish. I just changed some of the bigger offenders and it ran fine!

Using unnecessarily large/dense textures is a great way to force excessive OpenGL VRAM thrashing, and kill frame rate. Enough texture bloat can even kill render perf.

That said, I really hope LW.Next's redesigned surfacing and render engines offer both separate OpenGL and render texture assignments (aka easier/clearer OpenGL proxy textures), as well as supporting native sample-demand-loading of textures at render (akin to what infiniMap offers).

As render sizes scale up, necessitating higher size/density render textures, such adaptations become critical to retaining useful viewport and render performance.

Amerelium
11-21-2016, 12:30 AM
It's a MSI R9 Radeon 290 Gaming 4GB.

I do a quite bit of gaming, so I'm a bit apprehensive about getting an OpenGL card.

The Sleeper model has 17M+ polygons, so it's getting pretty sluggish working with it, even if it's divided into 11 layers

It isn't really unusual to see all VRAM in use, the graphics system will try to keep as many textures, shader programs, etc. and other frequently-used resources in VRAM as it can. Just because your VRAM appears full doesn't mean your scene alone is using all that memory, there are other graphics consumers in your system than just LW, and depending on what else is running, their consumption of VRAM for textures, etc. can be significant.

Can you describe your graphics hw a bit better? What make and model of graphics card is it? Are you using the latest drivers? How long is your uptime?

Also, are you using GPU-based render engine or CPU-based render engine? Are you running the preview renderer a lot?

With a bit more info, there's a much better chance folks will be able to answer your question, or provide better guidance. As it is, about all I can say is that VRAM being full might be a cause for poor performance, but you haven't provided enough info to confirm that, and it could as easily represent "normal operation" for your graphics.

squarewulf
11-21-2016, 01:28 PM
The Sleeper model has 17M+ polygons, so it's getting pretty sluggish working with it, even if it's divided into 11 layers

Modeler cant handle that amount of polygons. To get detail like that in LW you need displacement/bump/normal maps to make up the difference.

Amerelium
11-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Modeler cant handle that amount of polygons. To get detail like that in LW you need displacement/bump/normal maps to make up the difference.

Well, it can obviously handle it, as I've built it, and animated it.

squarewulf
11-21-2016, 01:56 PM
Well, it can obviously handle it, as I've built it, and animated it.

Cant handle it very well, at least. I try to keep individual models under 250,000 polys.

Amerelium
11-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Can't make a 50 km spaceship with complement with numbers like that.

Just made about 9M of the polygon layers into a separate model; that did the trick.

...can't beleive I didn't think of that earlier. Layout's got no problems with the combined count - well past 20M now.

Cant handle it very well, at least. I try to keep individual models under 250,000 polys.