PDA

View Full Version : LW 'parts' with quantized Weight Maps? 'parts', not "Parts" ;\

jeric_synergy
11-19-2016, 09:51 PM
(Ken Nign's "Weight Clone" will make clones with stepped w.map values, but what if you forget......? Or you're not dealing w/clones?)

Is there a script that will assign all connected parts in a Modeler layer w.map values in a stepped fashion? (I'm going to be using 'parts' to mean "connected polygon islands" in the DPKit sense, not Parts in the LWM grouping sense.)

Ideally this would:

count all the parts FIRST.
start with, say, the lower-most, left-most part.
assign it a w.map value of 0.
move to the next left-most, lower most part, give it an appropriate value based on the number of parts.
loop until done.

Does that exist?

Tnx :thumbsup:

lertola2
11-22-2016, 06:17 PM
(Ken Nign's "Weight Clone" will make clones with stepped w.map values, but what if you forget......? Or you're not dealing w/clones?)

Is there a script that will assign all connected parts in a Modeler layer w.map values in a stepped fashion? (I'm going to be using 'parts' to mean "connected polygon islands" in the DPKit sense, not Parts in the LWM grouping sense.)

Ideally this would:

count all the parts FIRST.
start with, say, the lower-most, left-most part.
assign it a w.map value of 0.
move to the next left-most, lower most part, give it an appropriate value based on the number of parts.
loop until done.

Does that exist?

Tnx :thumbsup:

I don't know of a plugin that does that but you could use DP PartMove in layout to shrink every part to zero size. Then save an endomorph. When you bring that object back to modeler you can display the morph and use the weights tool with some kind of falloff to apply a weight map. Then each point in a single part will share the same weight map. This is also useful for makeing a UV map where each part occupies a single point in UV space. This is useful for displacing a part without distorting its shape.

jeric_synergy
11-22-2016, 06:40 PM
That's pretty clever! And universal. Good on ya, lertola. :thumbsup:

I think, for those making money with animation, Sensei/TrueArts may have a commercial plugin that behaves as I requested, so if you're in a hurry for this capablity, check him out.

I do wish that, when LWG adds a feature, they'd take 15 minutes to brainstorm what users might want WITH that feature, because Ken Nign's scripts seem to fill pretty obvious holes in w.map capabilities, holes LWG could have filled themselves quite easily.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2016, 11:56 AM
I think, for those making money with animation, Sensei/TrueArts may have a commercial plugin that behaves as I requested, so if you're in a hurry for this capability, check him out.

Silly me: it is, of course, Sensei's/TrueArt's "Weight Polygon Groups", just one part of TrueArts Modeling Pack, which includes MANY MANY plugins (don't be confused by the line that makes it seem very expensive: it's just one of quite a few plugins included in that pack).

http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/WeightPolygonGroups

Here's the whole package:
http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins

The great thing about WEIGHT POLYGON GROUPS is it easily brings in DPKit style functionality to Modeler. :thumbsup: :jester: