PDA

View Full Version : Multiple clients AND 360 sharing question

christoph_
11-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Hello !

I have discovered the NDI protocol this month with Spout, and i m very impressionnated by it.
Bravo ! its VERY reliable !

I m working as independant in theatre field in Europe, and we are planning to do a theatre play with streaming 3 or 4 streams, with some in 360.
We are at early stage of discussion of what is possible or not. And what we will code, or not.

I have some questions
I would like to know if there is a number of limitations for NDI clients inside a wifi structure.
Is a NDI server limited somehow by number of connexions or devices ?
What could be the best approach for the physical architecture, as audience will connect to it thruth smartphones ?

We are thinking of streaming at same time 3 streams in 1280x720 and 1 stream in 360.

Is 360 supported ?
if no, what is the best approach ?
The Newtek NDI app seems to be limited in 720p.
What could be the tip for it if we code an application for it ?

Sincerely yours, christoph

livepad
11-19-2016, 04:41 AM
>> I would like to know if there is a number of limitations for NDI clients inside a wifi structure ?
Technically = Only really by the CPU performance and network bandwidth capacity.

>> Is a NDI server limited somehow by number of connexions or devices ?
Same answer

>> What could be the best approach for the physical architecture, as audience will connect to it thruth smartphones ?
Ah - so you are proposing that all (a lot of people) the audience connects via NDI. This is not going to work for a number of reasons.
1) At 100mBits/sec per stream you *are* going to exceed the network system bandwidth and the server
2) NDI is not designed as a distribution protocol - you probably want some sort of multicast protocol for this
3) There is currently no NDI decode library for mobile devices (ie. ARM processors)

>> Is 360 supported ?
Depends how its encoded, but if its just a very large image perhaps with a strange aspect ratio, then yes, it should work over NDI, since it's resolution independent.

>> if no, what is the best approach ?
You can use NDI for the production side but you need some sort of streaming distribution server to get it to your audience.

>> The Newtek NDI app seems to be limited in 720p.
There are many NDI apps, if you are talking about Newtek's NDI Camera - that is limited to 720p, although Sienna's NDICam can do 1080 - but the limits are more about the devices not the protocol. Some other NDI apps support 4k and beyond.

>> What could be the tip for it if we code an application for it ?
NDI is easy. I suspect any challenges you face will be outside of the basic NDI part, like managing, switching and distributing 3D.

Hello !

I have discovered the NDI protocol this month with Spout, and i m very impressionnated by it.
Bravo ! its VERY reliable !

I m working as independant in theatre field in Europe, and we are planning to do a theatre play with streaming 3 or 4 streams, with some in 360.
We are at early stage of discussion of what is possible or not. And what we will code, or not.

I have some questions
I would like to know if there is a number of limitations for NDI clients inside a wifi structure.
Is a NDI server limited somehow by number of connexions or devices ?
What could be the best approach for the physical architecture, as audience will connect to it thruth smartphones ?

We are thinking of streaming at same time 3 streams in 1280x720 and 1 stream in 360.

Is 360 supported ?

The Newtek NDI app seems to be limited in 720p.

What could be the tip for it if we code an application for it ?

Sincerely yours, christoph