PDA

View Full Version : VR Companion app for LightWave

ConjureBunny
11-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Hi,

I've been working on a standalone viewer for spherical and stereo images that sits alongside LightWave.

The idea is to have an app that will let you check images faster than opening another app, choosing a file, loading it, etc. This will basically just watch a folder and then change the active image when a new file is added. It will work with Oculus Rift or any normal non-VR screen.

So the workflow is...
1) Make some changes in LW
2) Render
3) Save to a folder
4) Put your headset on, or just bring the companion app's window to the foreground--the new image is already loaded.

If you're interested in testing this, pipe up, and I'll let you know when the beta is ready!

-Chilton

mummyman
11-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Um... YES please...

SandroBorg
11-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Definitely interested here.

jwiede
11-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I've been working on a standalone viewer for spherical and stereo images that sits alongside LightWave.

The idea is to have an app that will let you check images faster than opening another app, choosing a file, loading it, etc. This will basically just watch a folder and then change the active image when a new file is added. It will work with Oculus Rift or any normal non-VR screen.

So the workflow is...
1) Make some changes in LW
2) Render
3) Save to a folder
4) Put your headset on, or just bring the companion app's window to the foreground--the new image is already loaded.

If you're interested in testing this, pipe up, and I'll let you know when the beta is ready!

Just an idea, but you might want to consider letting Hurleywork's SNip3 take responsibility for watching folders and deciding what files require display, and design yours as a file viewer/plugin SNip3 can launch? Talk with Steve H about it, anyway, if interested.

SteveH
11-11-2016, 06:25 PM
he** yes......
Hurry up Chilton...... ;-)

Markc
11-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Count me in Chilton (if there's a mac version) :thumbsup:

Areyos Alektor
11-13-2016, 01:03 PM
I vote for, and the beta too !

Zerowaitstate
11-15-2016, 12:57 AM
Keep up th good work,

keep me in the loop pls :)

ConjureBunny
11-17-2016, 04:10 PM
Count me in Chilton (if there's a mac version) :thumbsup:

Absolutely a Mac version! :)

-Chilton

Every4thPixel
11-18-2016, 07:06 AM
I vote for a fixed licence check for ubercam so LW doesn't crash anymore. Is this problem resolved yet?

ConjureBunny
11-18-2016, 07:11 AM
I vote for a fixed licence check for ubercam so LW doesn't crash anymore. Is this problem resolved yet?

Yeah that's actually the main issue this next version (2.5) addresses. It appears fixed for render farms, but I'm still working on a few bugs related to things you can do locally that can cause a crash.

-Chilton

view3d
11-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Love to, have rift , vive on the way. PC based.

Markc
02-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Hey Chilton,

How's development of the companion app going? :D

jwiede
02-01-2017, 02:30 PM

If there's a Mac version, I'm definitely interested (if that wasn't already obvious ;D )!

Markc
03-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Chilton,

Not seen you around here for a while.
Is the companion app still being developed.
I'm ready to buy...........:D

Markc
03-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Has anyone heard from Chilton recently, not seen him here since last year.
Hope he's ok :question:

mummyman
03-25-2017, 05:55 PM
He's on FB from time to time. I'll chat him once in a while if I have any tech questions.

Markc
03-26-2017, 03:33 AM
That's good to know.
I don't have FB.
Is he still working on this companion app, do you know.
Last I heard it was almost ready for testing.......before xmas.

ianr
03-26-2017, 05:55 AM
Has anyone heard from Chilton recently, not seen him here since last year.
Hope he's ok :question:

Reach him ( Chilton) through LIberty3d.com

Markc
03-26-2017, 07:36 AM
Their Forums have been down for about 6 months.

ianr
03-27-2017, 08:20 AM
emailing Chilton use via link on liberty3d.com

[email protected]

Subject: FAO Chilton.

Markc
03-27-2017, 08:22 AM
ah...thanks Ian

mummyman
03-27-2017, 08:43 AM
That's good to know.
I don't have FB.
Is he still working on this companion app, do you know.
Last I heard it was almost ready for testing.......before xmas.

This... I do not know.. Sorry.. But I'd like to know as well!

ConjureBunny
04-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Let's say you made a new cleaning product and you said it was the best in the world. Why, it could clean the spots off the sun!

And then you made a new super bright lightbulb that would really show off your new cleaning product.

So you turn on the light, and... it turns out your cleaning product might not be the best in the world after all! :D

Well, that's kinda what happened here. I made the VR Companion to help Ubercam users diagnose issues in their images, proof scenes, pre-vis, do comparisons, etc., and ... it turns out it immediately found a bug in Ubercam. Maybe not quite a bug as it was a feature that wasn't completely, perfectly addressed. No one noticed, which is both a testament to how good the Companion is, and how lacking the current field of diagnostic tools is, but it showed it nonetheless.

SO... Ubercam 2.6 fixes that, among other things, and I just shipped that yesterday.

And now I can release the VR Companion without expecting the first response to be, "Hey man, I tried VRCompanion with Ubercam :mad:"

You can expect the VR Companion in a few days!

-Chilton

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus time flies. I didn't realize I'd gone dark for that long. Had to finish a client project that kinda spiraled out of control. All done now. Back to the fun stuff now :D

Markc
04-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Nice to hear from you dude.
Will there be a reduced price for the companion app, for current Ubercam users :p