PDA

View Full Version : Battery Powered Tricaster Mini

M Productions
11-10-2016, 11:02 PM
I would like to go "wireless" I can get about everything to be on battery save for the Tricaster it's self. Does anyone know of any options out there that could run a mini for about 45 minutes and be fairly silent?

My plan is to build a cart that I can roll into interview rooms at a particular convention that I go to each year. I am trying to get these videos out asap and end up having to go back to a hotel room, edit, throw in lower thirds, render, then upload on their fantastic internet. I would really like to be able to just roll the cart outside the interview space and put some wireless mics and cams inside, then let the magic happen all in one shot. There are outlets in the room, but we get 5 minutes to set up gear, so I am hoping to not waste any of that time plugging in and booting up.

Like I say, Ideally the battery would last for 45 minutes at least and I could just keep 5 of them on hand and swap out in between interviews, if it lasts longer cool. I am also looking for little to no fan noise like from a large UPS. I have some time to get this system put together, so just putting some feelers out there in the world to help search for options.

GThomas
11-11-2016, 07:36 AM
I would like to go "wireless" I can get about everything to be on battery save for the Tricaster it's self. Does anyone know of any options out there that could run a mini for about 45 minutes and be fairly silent?

My plan is to build a cart that I can roll into interview rooms at a particular convention that I go to each year. I am trying to get these videos out asap and end up having to go back to a hotel room, edit, throw in lower thirds, render, then upload on their fantastic internet. I would really like to be able to just roll the cart outside the interview space and put some wireless mics and cams inside, then let the magic happen all in one shot. There are outlets in the room, but we get 5 minutes to set up gear, so I am hoping to not waste any of that time plugging in and booting up.

Like I say, Ideally the battery would last for 45 minutes at least and I could just keep 5 of them on hand and swap out in between interviews, if it lasts longer cool. I am also looking for little to no fan noise like from a large UPS. I have some time to get this system put together, so just putting some feelers out there in the world to help search for options.

Maybe you could just use a large UPS to keep things booted up between interviews, and then plug it in when you get into an interview room. Presumably, the UPS would only be loud when your relocating your cart between interviews.

M Productions
11-11-2016, 09:01 AM
This is my new favorite Plan B! I know my ultimate goal is kind of a "perfect world" kind of idea. This could work and it would only need to be big enough to run the system for about 10 minutes while we move to the interview room. Having the rest wireless would mean setting out the cameras and handing the mics to the hosts and plugging one AC line in. Should still be under our 5 minutes. Thank you for a fresh thought, sometimes when I am close to a project it is hard to step back and see the simple fix. If I find a battery system that fits the bill with no fans, great! If no, then I can just plan a UPS that doesn't run it's fan while plugged in to AC.

eshiggs
11-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Interesting idea!

Make sure you get a "pure sine wave" UPS. I've read about issues with TriCasters and cheaper simulated sine wave battery backups.

TakeOneDigital
11-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Keeping in mind that the Mini PS is only putting out 12v DC, I think you could wire up (or have wired) a deep cycle marine battery that would power the TC for hours, I'd think. It'd be far more efficient than any other battery solution going from 12v DC to 120v AC and back to 12v DC into the actual TC. Easiest bet would be a visit to the shop at your local RV superstore.

PIZAZZ
11-13-2016, 11:13 PM
IF you are going to use a 12Volt power source then you need a power regulator between the battery and Mini or when the battery bank drops too low it could fry all kinds of stuff. Since you need to power more than just the Mini, I would suggest a couple large Deep Cycle batteries on the bottom of the cart, then feed a pure sine wave inverter to power the whole rack.

We did this once in the middle of the country (aka woods) for a special event. They didn't want any possible noise from even a super quiet generator. 2 x 950CCA deep cycle batteries ( blue Optima's I believe) worked for about 5 hours running a sound system plus the video gear.

- - - Updated - - -
This is the big one we have in our "little work truck"
http://gpelectric.com/products/3000-watt-pure-sine-wave-inverter