PDA

View Full Version : Debris pile with bullet dynamics

MarcusM
11-09-2016, 05:41 AM
I just want to share effect i received during creating low poly debris pile. (Quality is enought for my needing. Texture from cgtextures is great.)

I created simply pile, bricks and few fractured bricks. I know that i don't want putting them by hand on the pile and tried do this with bullet. I am not using bullet in LW to much. So my setting are not perfect.

After set up animation i was looking way to export all as one object. So found MG_Save_Selected_Transformed_GN.ls and exported all objects to one catalog. Script MG_Objects_To_Object_MD.ls to loading all as one object in Layout 2015.3 not working. Save transformed working only for one object in scene. Object Collapser biuld in plugin not working. I just loaded all objects in Laout and exported as fbx. Now i have got everything as one model in Modeler.

Final picture is from Unity. I used also CrazyBump for normal map, height and occlusion.

My remarks:
Fracture tool creating a lot unnecessary triangles. I used PLG Simplify Mesh to reduce polys.

In bullet dynamics windows should be possibility to group objects in two level tree.

I not found way to se up pile as a gravity source...

Many bricks just fly over pile i dont know why when the rest hit like it should.

prometheus
11-09-2016, 09:27 AM
I just want to share effect i received during creating low poly debris pile. (Quality is enought for my needing. Texture from cgtextures is great.)

I created simply pile, bricks and few fractured bricks. I know that i don't want putting them by hand on the pile and tried do this with bullet. I am not using bullet in LW to much. So my setting are not perfect.

After set up animation i was looking way to export all as one object. So found MG_Save_Selected_Transformed_GN.ls and exported all objects to one catalog. Script MG_Objects_To_Object_MD.ls to loading all as one object in Layout 2015.3 not working. Save transformed working only for one object in scene. Object Collapser biuld in plugin not working. I just loaded all objects in Laout and exported as fbx. Now i have got everything as one model in Modeler.

Final picture is from Unity. I used also CrazyBump for normal map, height and occlusion.

My remarks:
Fracture tool creating a lot unnecessary triangles. I used PLG Simplify Mesh to reduce polys.

In bullet dynamics windows should be possibility to group objects in two level tree.

I not found way to se up pile as a gravity source...

Many bricks just fly over pile i dont know why when the rest hit like it should.

Why didnīt you instance them? thereīs only the tile object mostly right? the rest is a textured deformed pile.

MarcusM
11-09-2016, 10:37 AM
OK ;] I totally forgot about instancing... must try.

prometheus
11-09-2016, 12:24 PM
OK ;] I totally forgot about instancing... must try.

there are cases when you may would like to use dynamics to get a more natural distribution look, if you do not want to bother about painting a weight map for distribution or use particles for instances.
like a little valley rift where rubble stones may have fallen along a cliff side and gathered at certain places and also position its own rotation in a natural way..rather than instancing, the question is though if this would be such case.

You could also make your main terrain object an old hardfx collision object(sticky maybe), set up a particle emitter and let some particle flow down the terrain object, freeze the particles by save trans object, use those particles as points that you then distribute the instances on, that way you get instances with a distribution location based on the particle sim, so that would be an old form of dynamic placement but not with bullet system and not with the actual pieces, but a bit more interesting than maybe just use a weigthmap.

In order to freeze the particles, and save them as trans obj, you either start off with a partigon emitter, or convert hv emitter to partigon, with the particle2 partigon command.
of course there is the cool advanced placement tool from hurley, but Itīs quite expensive I think.

MarcusM
11-10-2016, 02:26 AM
You have many good ideas.
I tested instances and it is the best BUT baking instances taking too long time. It's not acteptable or something is wrong in my LW 15.3 on Win 10. Propably one core is working also.