PDA

View Full Version : A quick over-the-shoulder Review on the new 3rd powers tools

Ryan Roye
11-08-2016, 07:33 PM
Here, I cover all the new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RuS-SlNzxY&feature=youtu.be

rcallicotte
11-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Thank you!

Bill Carey
11-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Nice demo, thank you!

mataori
11-09-2016, 01:14 AM
nice review!
I didn't notice transfer weight map.Thanks.

alexs3d
11-09-2016, 02:14 AM
really nice, thanx for the review, is it possible to do a little video with the weight paint tool and instances, how it works here

many thx

lardbros
11-09-2016, 03:39 AM
Worth the money for the weight transfer tools alone I'd say :)

Thanks for the video, makes it all the more clear that these tools are not to be missed! :D

Spinland
11-09-2016, 03:40 AM
As ever, awesomesauce. Thanks, Ryan!

raw-m
11-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Thanks Ryan, very useful (I think I prefer you off script!). The only tinge of disappointment is when using Weight Paint you have to release to mouse before seeing the update. Small beans really :D

Andy Webb
11-09-2016, 06:43 AM
Yes it is a very good and interesting video - straight to the point.

Many thanks

Ryan Roye
11-09-2016, 06:53 AM
Thanks Ryan, very useful (I think I prefer you off script!). The only tinge of disappointment is when using Weight Paint you have to release to mouse before seeing the update. Small beans really :D

It could be there both intentionally or as a limitation. For example, Cinema4d operates the same way, only applying the weight when you let go of the mouse button. You would want it this way in order to keep painting on a non-moving surface, but if it were the other way around you'd be able to know when to stop painting more visually so it works both ways.

ianr
11-09-2016, 08:42 AM
More modeler LURV...into layout. Cheers Ryan

cove
11-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Ryan Roye.
Thanks for the video instructions for the new 3rd powers plugins.
Has made learning how to use the plugins much easier.

I hope your available to lightwave to create equally good instructional
overviews of the new features in the "NEXT" Lightave.

Given that the new feature set in "NEXT" is expected to be good then its essential that we can learn all the new stuff quickly and easily.

Like they say a picture/video paints a thousand words.

Ryan Roye
11-09-2016, 11:37 AM
I hope your available to lightwave to create equally good instructional
overviews of the new features in the "NEXT" Lightave.

Count on it. I can't promise it'll all be native tool content (IE: If I do a full tutorial on character rigging, it's going to use the 3rdpowers tools), but there will be plenty to go over, and possibly re-do when the time comes.

cove
11-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Count on it. I can't promise it'll all be native tool content (IE: If I do a full tutorial on character rigging, it's going to use the 3rdpowers tools), but there will be plenty to go over, and possibly re-do when the time comes.

Thanks for your reply.
Glad that you will be providing at least some tutorials via 3rdpowers plugins. Hopefully there will be some "NEXT" feature related ones.

bobakabob
11-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Many thanks for this Ryan... A mini tutorial as well as review.

jeric_synergy
11-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Thanks Ryan, very useful (I think I prefer you off script!).
We will disagree there: RR's edited stuff is brisk, and I like that-- I can always re-watch if it's TOO brisk. ;)

Ryan, thanks very much for this practical look at these new plugins, very helpful, makes them all the more tempting.

Andy Webb
11-10-2016, 10:06 AM
I seemed to be getting all sorts of odd behavior from the box lattice plugin!

When I apply the lattice a group of points leap into a new position,
only that group of points are then affected by the Lattice, the rest of the box remain unaffected.

If I create a sphere and apply the box lattice nothing is affected by deforming the lattice, it just stays a sphere.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Andy Webb
11-10-2016, 10:24 AM
I have re-installed the plugin but no difference :-(

jeric_synergy
11-10-2016, 10:31 AM
As ever, post the LWS. People with the plugin can check.

Andy Webb
11-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Here's the object, there's no scene file.

Andy Webb
11-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Here is a scene file...

Ryan Roye
11-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Deleted, noticed model file above.

Ryan Roye
11-10-2016, 12:01 PM
I seemed to be getting all sorts of odd behavior from the box lattice plugin!

The problem is that you attempted to place the lattice using the move/rotate/stretch tools within the lattice UI. The proper way to position a lattice is to move it towards the center of your object like you would any other object in Lightwave (parenting it if you want the lattice to stick with the object), then use the "RestSize" tool, ensuring that your object is completely covered by the lattice. The restsize tool is what sets the initial area of influence for the lattice box.

The move/rotate/stretch tools in the lattice UI are for deforming your object, not for initial placement.

Andy Webb
11-10-2016, 05:00 PM
The problem is that you attempted to place the lattice using the move/rotate/stretch tools within the lattice UI. The proper way to position a lattice is to move it towards the center of your object like you would any other object in Lightwave (parenting it if you want the lattice to stick with the object), then use the "RestSize" tool, ensuring that your object is completely covered by the lattice. The restsize tool is what sets the initial area of influence for the lattice box.

The move/rotate/stretch tools in the lattice UI are for deforming your object, not for initial placement.

I see, I just didn't get that, it now works as it should :D:thumbsup:

Spinland
11-10-2016, 05:06 PM
I, for one, welcome our Tanadrine Studios overlords. ;D

jeric_synergy
11-10-2016, 05:30 PM
I see, I just didn't get that, it now works as it should :D:thumbsup:
See?

jwiede
11-12-2016, 04:07 AM
It could be there both intentionally or as a limitation. For example, Cinema4d operates the same way, only applying the weight when you let go of the mouse button. You would want it this way in order to keep painting on a non-moving surface, but if it were the other way around you'd be able to know when to stop painting more visually so it works both ways.

IIRC, the sync. mouse-tracking vs redraw update trade-off has come up before w.r.t. LWPanels-based GUI. You can either redraw on each mouse action (potentially killing perf if you have to do a huge number of element redraws), wait till a different event to redraw (which seems to be what 3rdPowers is doing), or try to manage both using some sort of "redraw after every (n) mouse move actions" proportion pref/control (plus redraw on other events). Problem is, the proportion control itself can be difficult for users to understand, and when set wrong can detract more from GUI interactivity. Also, you'd typically want that control "live" as well, thus adding to GUI element redraw load, worsening the situation.

Call it an educated guess, but I see evidence to make me believe that's what is occurring here. If so, I can completely understand why 3rdPowers would have opted for increased interactivity, rather than take the hit of redraw every mouse move, or deal with the complexity and perf issues around proportional redraw control.

P.S. Depending on implementation, you used to be able to run afoul of essentially the same sync. mouse move-vs-redraw issue in C4D, but the C4D SDK now offers better solutions (essentially, async. redraw). Could just be a case of an old tool that hasn't yet been updated (certainly true for BodyPaint, MAXON even stated that is explicitly one of the issues being fixed in the mid-R18 BodyPaint update).