PDA

View Full Version : Your Ideas-New Procedural/Fractal Textures.

prometheus
11-08-2016, 10:44 AM
So fellows...
We do have quite a good selection of procedural fractal textures, but they seem to be quite old as well, not sure if anyone is doing any work on new fractal types, or use tools to make new ones.

I am wondering, is there anything special you miss as a fractal texture? any ideas for new ones.

I just recently got a reply from darktree ..they made some very nice shaders free simbiont shaders, they have ideas for a new darktree 3, but itīs not official yet.
And they mentioned that if they were to do something for lightwave, it would have to be an extremly compelling tech...which probably means they need to wrap their hands on what that could be so it can compete with what we currently can do with nodes.

what we can do today with nodes is ofcourse expanding the possibilities on tweaking and combining various fractals for more complex looks, but you would still need the base noise functions and not all inputs are that easy to tweak, and the input functions is also what is limiting you.

So if you got any good Ideas, I might compile it before sending a reply to the darktree guys.

Michael

pinkmouse
11-08-2016, 03:40 PM
A "fern" type fractal that we can use for erosion, estuaries, frost etc.

papou
11-08-2016, 06:03 PM
i agree.
Procedurals for moutain, rivers, erosion...

prometheus
11-09-2016, 09:45 AM
A "fern" type fractal that we can use for erosion, estuaries, frost etc.

yep..also what I would like to see.

i agree.
Procedurals for moutain, rivers, erosion...

yep ...see above, especially would like various branch fractals, that you can set branching and diffuse fading or feathering, could perhaps als be use for cirrus clouds, as well as erosion flow.
regarding erosion, it would never be truly physical, not unless you introduce algorithms that calculates the geoemetry or heightmap, so I reckon it would only be a fake effect.

gerry_g
11-09-2016, 11:50 AM
before you get carried away with endless new ideas for new fractals and procedurals I get a feeling displacement needs looking at, particularly the way it calculates, when I try to ramp a procedural with a gradient it seems to have a greater effect on the lower values than the higher ones and if I push it too far all I have is the gradient value. This may not seem totally connected at first glance to whats being discussed but things like weathering and erosion are often attenuated by ramping values or overlaying multiple values and I'm sceptical displacement its good enough in the state its currently in to do the things your asking.

prometheus
11-09-2016, 12:13 PM
before you get carried away with endless new ideas for new fractals and procedurals I get a feeling displacement needs looking at, particularly the way it calculates, when I try to ramp a procedural with a gradient it seems to have a greater effect on the lower values than the higher ones and if I push it too far all I have is the gradient value. This may not seem totally connected at first glance to whats being discussed but things like weathering and erosion are often attenuated by ramping values or overlaying multiple values and I'm sceptical displacement its good enough in the state its currently in to do the things your asking.

mm..not sure what you mean here?
Canīt tell unless you post a displacement sample really, there are so many ways you can ramp up a procedural with both how many value sliders there is in the gradient, if you scale the value etc, and what type of value you got, and apart from that, which blending mode you use, I donīt see the issue with it.
The issue I have with displacement today is that I would like to see microdisplacement, and displacement evenly remeshed at slope sides, which otherwise will loose detail when stretched to a peak so to speak :) maybe that is something similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnd8AuXpUs4

Michael