PDA

View Full Version : Displacing all the points in a mesh to a single point location?

jeric_synergy
11-08-2016, 01:45 AM
I thought this would move all the points in an mesh to one singular (null) point, but it did not:

What is missing here? Does not the displacement node editor cycle thru all the mesh's points?

Sensei
11-08-2016, 04:38 AM
What is missing here?

Double click Point Info node to open it's properties window,
then pick up Object from drop-down list...

BTW, you're in wrong forum: you should write private e-mail to the author of this node. Not ask people who perhaps never heard about "Point Info" node...

Spinland
11-08-2016, 04:43 AM
BTW, you're in wrong forum: you should write private e-mail to the author of this node. Not ask people who perhaps never heard about "Point Info" node...

I would respectfully submit that I find such posts of interest, especially if I've not heard of the item in question. That gives me an opportunity to go learn about something new, as well as to benefit from any information that comes via any public discussion that may ensue here.

Sensei
11-08-2016, 04:47 AM
I would respectfully submit that I find such posts of interest, especially if I've not heard of the item in question. That gives me an opportunity to go learn about something new, as well as to benefit from any information that comes via any public discussion that may ensue here.

Some might think it's about LightWave (he put it in "General Support"), while it's about 3rd party tool.
Some will come here and ask "I don't have this Point Info?! How is it possible?" and endless discussion will start..
If there is question about 3rd party tool, feature in 3rd party tool, it should be straight away said, since the beginning..

Spinland
11-08-2016, 04:52 AM
That's not the same as going to email only. Suggesting posting in a more appropriate—but still public—forum is a different matter from the one I commented on.

jeric_synergy
11-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Double click Point Info node to open it's properties window,
then pick up Object from drop-down list...
Already did. Didn't work.

dpont
11-08-2016, 09:35 AM
A position is not the displacement itself,
but the new place you want for a current point,
the displacement is the difference between this new position
and the original point position.

Denis.

jeric_synergy
11-08-2016, 10:20 AM
A position is not not the displacement itself,
but the new place you want for a current point,
the displacement is the difference between this new position
and the original point position.

Denis.

Ok, this is why you can stick a null on a mesh, but not collapse a mesh to one point.

What I'd like to accomplish is placing all the points on a mesh at a single location (collapsing it, possibly far away), without affecting the Object's Pivot Point.

dpont
11-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Ok, this is why you can stick a null on a mesh, but not collapse a mesh to one point.

What I'd like to accomplish is placing all the points on a mesh at a single location (collapsing it, possibly far away), without affecting the Object's Pivot Point.

All points of a mesh to the same location,
this is wat I explained above,
they will be moved to the position provided by the Point Info node,
if you substract the current original point position (given by Spot Info or Input node)
to the target point position.

Denis.

bazsa73
11-08-2016, 10:38 AM
I never even thought about that I could or should do such an effect. Great idea!

jeric_synergy
11-08-2016, 11:11 AM
I never even thought about that I could or should do such an effect. Great idea!
Well, whether you SHOULD is in question... :ohmy:.... I thought this might be a way to disappear an entire mesh with multiple Surfaces without the attendant trip-ups that seem to occur w/shadows and whatnot.

This also leaves the pivot point untouched, so heirarchies continue to function.

Umm, why do you think this is a "great idea", if you don't know if you should do it??? :stumped:

While my use would be on/off, it might be a trippy effect if it were gradual.