PDA

View Full Version : Radiosity or Faked radiosity with Moving Displacements

mummyman
11-07-2016, 11:43 AM
With all the tutorials and links over the years, I've gotten lost on any definitive answer on this... if I have a moving, undulating object and or displacement map (ripples, turbulence, flow noise, etc) is there a way to get a nice, fast flicker free radiosity? I've seen all the arch-viz links... but not with crazy, moving objects.

Just wondering thoughts on this. Thanks (using native LW 2015)

Brett

mummyman
11-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Actually, found some nice compromises with this method: seems like an oldie, but goodie... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tnXPouM234

Ztreem
11-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Ambient occlusion is the fastest and easiest way to get a sort of radiosity like render. You can also try the ambient occlusion 2 node to get colors from a hdr image, it's a little slower than ordinary occlusion. With ambient occlusion you will not get color bleed and secondary bounces as in radiosity with 2 or more bounces. I usually use radiosity without interpolation to get flicker free renders but it depends on the scene how slow it gets, sometimes it gets too slow then I use ambient occlusion instead.

mummyman
11-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Ambient occlusion is the fastest and easiest way to get a sort of radiosity like render. You can also try the ambient occlusion 2 node to get colors from a hdr image, it's a little slower than ordinary occlusion. With ambient occlusion you will not get color bleed and secondary bounces as in radiosity with 2 or more bounces. I usually use radiosity without interpolation to get flicker free renders but it depends on the scene how slow it gets, sometimes it gets too slow then I use ambient occlusion instead.

Cool.. thanks!

jwiede
11-07-2016, 06:39 PM
I usually use radiosity without interpolation to get flicker free renders but it depends on the scene how slow it gets, sometimes it gets too slow then I use ambient occlusion instead.

Agreed, if you need "actual radiosity" lighting, brute-force (non-interpolated) MonteCarlo is your best bet. Faked, using AO and/or dome lighting will get you a reasonable approximation, if non-interpolated MC is too slow to be practical.

mummyman
11-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Agreed, if you need "actual radiosity" lighting, brute-force (non-interpolated) MonteCarlo is your best bet. Faked, using AO and/or dome lighting will get you a reasonable approximation, if non-interpolated MC is too slow to be practical.

ya.. thank you.. Dome lights are pretty awesome.. It'd be real nice to get some faster renders with F9. Looking forward to any speed ups production-wise.

samurai_x
11-07-2016, 08:33 PM
I would use dp lights and sunsky. Almost as fast as a gpu renderer on exterior scenes.

djwaterman
11-07-2016, 09:32 PM
By the way. where can one find that Daylight shader these days?

djwaterman
11-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Here's a test I did a few months back where I had a scene with full GI, and then I disabled the GI and parented a point light to the camera, it's a bit like using the ambient lighting but allows for better adjustment since you can use fall-off if you wish.

The point light could also be a spot light, or a DP flood light.

raw-m
11-08-2016, 02:26 AM
That's nice, djwaterman. Whete is the point light placed there? I'm guessing you turn the shadows off?

djwaterman
11-08-2016, 03:52 AM
I can't remember if I turned the shadows off, but it shouldn't matter because the light is posited right at the singularity of the camera and parented to the camera, so shadows are obscured by the very objects casting them.

mummyman
11-08-2016, 05:35 AM
Here's a test I did a few months back where I had a scene with full GI, and then I disabled the GI and parented a point light to the camera, it's a bit like using the ambient lighting but allows for better adjustment since you can use fall-off if you wish.

The point light could also be a spot light, or a DP flood light.

Very nice... I've definitely had to do that in some cases too.. nice to see it's not just me. Can't stand the render hits for just a few crevices.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way. where can one find that Daylight shader these days?

No idea... I didn't find it.