PDA

View Full Version : Archiving projects

cvp
12-15-2003, 08:23 AM
Is there any way to archive projects?

I just don't like finishing a project, dumping it to tape or dvd and then clearing my harddrives for the next project. If a client comes back with a request for a (would be) small change, I can't just open the project and do a quick edit. I either have to capture, edit and dump to tape again (losing a generation) or use an old linear sytem to insert edit.

What are some of you doing?

Thanks for the input,
Joe

BTW: I'm using all uncompressed in and out.

RayLarson
12-15-2003, 10:00 AM
Great Question. I have wrestled with this problem also. A utility in T3 would be great but the fact still remains that a very large storage medium would be needed. It would be great to be able to archive a project with one click to a device and save it for later changes. Perhaps stuff dreams are made of...but necessary.

Rich Deustachio
12-15-2003, 10:35 AM
I am considering using a external firewire HD system. Is anyone using this type of system?

mgrusin
12-15-2003, 11:27 AM
While waiting for a better solution (tape? blue DVD?), I've been periodically buying big, cheap IDE drives and using them to back up important projects. The WD 120 JB "specials" were on sale for ~$80 at CompUSA last week. You could spend more money for a removable-cartridge system (~$50 for the computer and ~$30 for each drive), but I just power down, open the machine, and plug in the bare drives as needed. When removing them I put them back in their static bags for protection. It seems kind of silly to use hard drives like floppies, but there you go.

One issue: last time I looked, Toaster projects used absolute paths. An asset will be listed all the way from the drive, e.g. as "V:\projects\nasa99\source\1.rtv" etc. The project will only work if that asset is at that exact location, so speed issues aside, in most cases you won't be able to run your project directly from the backup media. Workarounds are (1) to copy the entire project back to its original location on your video array before using it, or (2) perform some Windows trickery to give the backup the same drive letter and path it was originally created with.

tmon
12-15-2003, 11:44 AM
For quickly accessable archiving, we're using 250GB Western Digital (non-Raptor) IDE drives mounted in a workstation with a Promise controller and removeable drivebays on a Gigabit network. For ongoing projects, we have space allocated on SAN, which is backed up daily onto DLT.

tfrank
12-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Having the same problem of trying to keep my "working drives" clean until a project was OK, I purchased a WD 250 gig drive at Best Buy for $140. after rebates and installed it in an external enclosure that can do firewire or USB. Works great other than the transfer rates are SLOW. Start the transfer then go home. Would have liked to have installed it as a removable drive on our system for speed, but I ran out of hardware.

ted
12-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Same here. External 200 gig WD on a Firewire. Back up a project and store the external. Speed usually doesn't kill us since we usually know when the client will need old stuff.
We often need to access campaigns from a year or two back so keeping everything on the system is impossible.

We're fortunate in that we only have about a dozen regular clients that fill our schedule, so I have a separate drive for each client that needs it and 2 or 3 for a couple.

Thank goodness the price for drives has come down!

Adam_LightPlay
12-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Yep, I sometimes have up to three external firewire drives hanging off my system. They can usually play back one stream of RTV with no glitches unless it's real choppy editing.

Regarding the original question; I always save the small stuff, CG, Projects, Photos, etc, in a folder with the clients name on my C: drive. If I've used Batch Capture, I should be able to just recapture my large files from the original tapes and I'm right where I left off.

cvp
12-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Adam_LightPlay
If I've used Batch Capture, I should be able to just recapture my large files from the original tapes and I'm right where I left off.

I'm not sure if I understand you here. Are you saying you can recapture the original footage and the project will be able to use them as in the original edit?

Joe

tfrank
12-17-2003, 09:48 AM
To CVP.
Yes you can save info depending on software We have a VT2. We batch capture using Decision Maker. It allows us to save that information. Later on we recall the original decision list, then re-digitize the exact footage, and alt/drag those clips back into the project. Works extremely well. We save our client info with project files etc. on a seperate drive after we are done with the original work. If you need to make a change after a period of time, we move the files back over to our "work" drive. You may also have to alt/grag your graphics back into their original locations in the project too. In any case it works and it save lots of drive space for those clips that you don't need very often.

approd
06-20-2004, 12:47 PM
I am looking at the same problem, buring 40 gigs of video to a stack of DVD's. Seems there is no real good way to save projects for later use. Yet.

My question regards compressing the raw .rtv files with something like Winzip I can store the compressed data with the original path info for easy replacement but it seems I don't get much benifit in size. Also when video is zipped, can it be reconstructed and still work OK?

sbrandt
06-20-2004, 01:21 PM
160 Gig WDs for 80 bucks.
http://www.compubuzz.com/applications/search/itemdetails.asp?sku=HDWD16072&sc=PW