PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on SplineControl

Tom Speed
03-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Hi,
I've been experimenting with SplineControl, but there's a few things that I think need tweaking (unless I'm doing something wrong).

1: The 'Set Rest Shape' button doesn't do what I think it should. As an example, I was going to try and use a curve to control lip movement (seems like an ideal tool for this sort of thing!), so I added a curve, toggled it inactive on the Deform list, and made it fit neatly inside the lips of my character, I assigned my Weightmap (yes, made correctly just in case you ask:) ) then I logicaly hit 'Set Rest Shape', but when I reactivate the plugin my characters head goes all over the place.

2: It would be nice if you could use premade curves that sit in the same layer, you could select it / them by assigning them surface names.

3: Minor issue this, the dotted circular handles for the Points on the Curve don't resize when you zoom, so when working up close / or on a small model they get huge.

2 & 3 would be nice, but 1 (as I said, unless I'm doing it wrong?) needs to be fixed in my opinion, then it should be a real useful addition.

Cya!
Tom

Matt
03-07-2003, 03:35 AM
also, when move the spline points it would be nice to be able to hold ctrl or shift down to constrain in the axis you first move in.

selecting more than one point for en-masse moving would be nice too.

although I doubt I'd use this tool much anyway, more for character animators, something I don't use LightWave for.

Castius
03-07-2003, 03:36 AM
Needs rotation control as well.

nickej
03-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Um, maybe I'm unusually dense, but I'm not having any luck getting the interface for this plugin to appear. I added the Splinimate.p plugin, and that added a line to the Deformations tab called "CurveConform", (not "SplineConform", like the ReadMe file said...that never appeared. Was it supposed to?). Additionally, the Readme said that I could add a button (should add a button?) for the plug in the Edit Menu Layout section. Also no go. Can't find the plug anywhere. Searched for string "Curv" and "splin" and turned up nothing. Any help would be appreciated muchly.

DarkEkko
03-08-2003, 12:40 AM
CurveConform IS SplineConform.

to add a button, go to layout>interface>edit menu layout.

find the plugin on the left side, and move it to the right side according to the area of the interface you want it to be.

nickej
03-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Hi-
I understand the process, but as I said, diligent searching through the list of possible functions and a search for the strings "curv" and "splin" turned up precisely zero in the way of functions that can be turned into buttons. It's as the the plug never existed, even though "CurveConform" DID show up in the deformations tab.....
Thanks-
Nick J.

NanoGator
03-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Nickej,

I ran into this. Turns out I ended up with two different LW folders! I suspect what happened was that the 7.5b patch I installed put it in an all new folder. Check for that, you might have the wrong plugin installed.

Worst case scenario: Do a search for spl*.p and find out where all they're installed.

Skonk
03-09-2003, 02:27 PM
CurveConform, SplineConform ? wtf u guys on about?

SPLINECONTROL!

Install Splinimate.p then in the objects tab select deformations and add "SplineControl" to the object. As for adding the button again its simply called SplineControl, its in the Tools section. No where does it say Curve or Conform.

James..

NanoGator
03-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SpankDaddy
CurveConform, SplineConform ? wtf u guys on about?

SPLINECONTROL!

Install Splinimate.p then in the objects tab select deformations and add "SplineControl" to the object. As for adding the button again its simply called SplineControl, its in the Tools section. No where does it say Curve or Conform.

James..

Additional: make sure to install the 7.5b patch into the right folder, otherwise it may show up in the wrong spot... (That's what happened to me, it was driving me bonkers...)