PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Powers released new plugins - 3D Sticker, Lattice Deformer 2 and Paint W

alexs3d
11-07-2016, 03:50 AM
yeehhaa, it is here ;)

http://www.3rdpowers.com/index.html

Spinland
11-07-2016, 03:52 AM
:rock:

samurai_x
11-07-2016, 04:00 AM
Almost 150 bucks savings for the bundles. :D

Spinland
11-07-2016, 04:24 AM
Yes! I love that they anticipated a 3-title bundle for those of us who already had all the others.

Yule has come early to Spinland! :cool:

cove
11-07-2016, 05:05 AM
Thanks for info/link.
Time to give myself an early Xmas present i think!.
Previous 3rd Powers plugin purchases have proved there worth.
Gong now to buy all 3 plugins.
Can,t wait to try them out.

mataori
11-07-2016, 06:09 AM
I bought them and I'm playing.
Nice!

Ryan Roye
11-07-2016, 06:10 AM
Bought. Nom nom.

Oldcode
11-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Is Lattice Deformer 2 a free upgrade if you already have version 1?

EDIT! Never mind. I found it. Thanks. :D

alexs3d
11-07-2016, 06:14 AM
Nice!

Nice, wish you lots of fun ;)

is it possible to test something for me or us ;)

In layout create a plane, creates instancer and the paint with the weight paint tool the areas where the instances appear.

THX
hope i can buy soon

- - - Updated - - -

Is Lattice Deformer 2 a free upgrade if you already have version 1?

no, you have to pay 33 for the upgrade, look here http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html

Oldcode
11-07-2016, 06:27 AM
Thanks Alex. That's not a bad price for an upgrade. What I really need to do is save my pennies for Cage Deformer. Should have done that in the first place, but Lattice Deformer has allowed me to do some amazing things! :D

Spinland
11-07-2016, 06:36 AM
What I really need to do is save my pennies for Cage Deformer.

Yeah, I can't say enough good things about that one. This is the first CA gig I got after I bought it, and I ran an entire animated commercial short for a client with no need for corrective morphs; was able to tweak on the fly:

Plus, later in the process, client wanted it to have a chain around its neck. Cage Deformer over a 2 point poly chain let me add it after the fact and match the existing animation work with hardly a pause.

Paul Goodrich
11-07-2016, 06:54 AM
Nice, wish you lots of fun ;)

is it possible to test something for me or us ;)

In layout create a plane, creates instancer and the paint with the weight paint tool the areas where the instances appear.

THX
hope i can buy soon

- - - Updated - - -

no, you have to pay 33 for the upgrade, look here http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html

Hi, I have Heat Shrink Plus and would like to buy the bundle. Would there be a slight discount or will I then have 2 licenses of Heat Shrink Plus? Thanks. You could email my on the price, thanks. PaulDGoodrich at gmail.com

Paul Goodrich

alexs3d
11-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Hi, I have Heat Shrink Plus and would like to buy the bundle. Would there be a slight discount or will I then have 2 licenses of Heat Shrink Plus? Thanks. You could email my on the price, thanks. PaulDGoodrich at gmail.com

Paul Goodrich

Hi Paul,

i have the same problem, i have already bought metamesh and want to buy the modeler pack, i emailed them if there is any solution.

greez alex

mummyman
11-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Nice!

Does the camera lattice work on multiple objects at once??

mataori
11-07-2016, 07:34 AM

yes.by using gradient when you paint the weight, the instances appear,and erase the weight they disappear.

Norka
11-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Is it possible that 3rdPwrs has no capacity to put out (or maybe even knowledge of) press releases to folks like CGChannel, CGPress, etc?...

alexs3d
11-07-2016, 09:08 AM
yes.by using gradient when you paint the weight, the instances appear,and erase the weight they disappear.

thanx for the info

Paul Goodrich
11-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Hi Paul,

i have the same problem, i have already bought metamesh and want to buy the modeler pack, i emailed them if there is any solution.

greez alex

did you get a response? I email'ed them a while back and didn't get a response. Is there a preferred email for that sort of thing?

vonpietro
11-07-2016, 10:21 AM
88 bucks for the sticker plugin - nice

CaptainMarlowe
11-07-2016, 01:23 PM
I really want sticker and weight paint, but I'll have to wait a little and spare some cash before...

The Dommo
11-07-2016, 04:05 PM
I can actually help them with general press release to over 1400 news sites - CG Channel may pick up and reuse them after perhaps.

Is it possible that 3rdPwrs has no capacity to put out (or maybe even knowledge of) press releases to folks like CGChannel, CGPress, etc?...

jeric_synergy
11-07-2016, 04:34 PM
Yes! I love that they anticipated a 3-title bundle for those of us who already had all the others.
That IS good: for me, sadly, my ownership of LWBrush diminishes the benefits for some of those. #firstworldproblems

Spinland
11-07-2016, 04:46 PM
That IS good: for me, sadly, my ownership of LWBrush diminishes the benefits for some of those. #firstworldproblems

But, on the plus side, you have LWBrush. :rock:

Chris S. (Fez)
11-07-2016, 06:54 PM
These new tools look great but I hope 3rd Powers will update LW Brush. The community posted some nice suggestions IMO for faster workflow and expanded functionality.

alexs3d
11-08-2016, 12:06 AM
did you get a response? I email'ed them a while back and didn't get a response. Is there a preferred email for that sort of thing?

Hi Paul,

no not yet, i used the adress on their website

Spinland
11-08-2016, 04:32 AM
THis is the signature block from yesterday's registration email:

Feel free to contact us with questions or comments.
Email: [email protected]

Perhaps they're swamped with the new-release surge of interest.

Lito
11-08-2016, 07:18 AM
I also emailed them yesterday regarding already owning LWBrush and wanting to get the rest of the modeler plugins in the bundle, but no reply yet. I wish they'd just do a pick 3 or more and take 33% off or buy the bundle and get it at that 37.9% off price. I think it would save them time given a lot of their customers have bought one or two of their plugins already.

jeric_synergy
11-08-2016, 08:40 AM
I'm OK with what they did: there's no way to make EVERYone happy. I'm happy they're making ANY sort of bundle available!

There's far too many permutations.

Spinland
11-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Indeed. Back when I bought in the site actually had no bundles available, at least nothing linked from the main site. I emailed them to ask and they very quickly got back to me with a link to various bundled options; perhaps it was intended to be a semi-private one, or the site needed an update, dunno what. They did respond quite timely though. As I said above, this might be surge time for them. I know I got the reg key response within an hour.

jeric_synergy
11-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Also, there may be a bit of a language barrier.

cove
11-10-2016, 02:59 AM
Id like to put a good word in for 3rDPowers .
I bought the 3 following plugins as a bundle.

3DSticker100
PaintWeights
Lattice Deformer 2.00

I did not have version 1 of Lattice Deformer so could not make use of the Lattice Deformer 2.00 update.
It was cheaper to buy the bundle than the other 2 separatly.
In the email to 3rdpowers to register the plugins i said i only need the serial numbers for 3DSticker100
and PaintWeights as i do not have version 1 of Lattice Deformer.

His reply to me not only included the new serial numbers but he had given me
Lattice Deformer version 1 for free so i could make use of the update.
A great pre Xmas gift!!.

Im obviously made up with this great gesture from 3rdpowers.

Add to this the demo/tutorial video ive watched by Ryan Roye demonstrating
all 3 plugins i should be up and running with Lattice Deformer etc in no time.

Niko3D
11-10-2016, 03:03 AM
Each company should behave like this!!!;)
Great!

cove
11-10-2016, 04:00 AM
Each company should behave like this!!!;)
Great!

One other freebie of note that was, some time ago now, given away free was "Chronosculpt" an addon to Lightwave.
Would normally cost you quite a bit to buy and most of us were wowed! by getting it free.
Yes a very rare event indeed.

I reckon Lightwave should provide to us all another freebie while we wait for Lightwave "NEXT" to be released.

How about "Realflow fluids" or some other plugin :D

djwaterman
11-10-2016, 05:17 AM
They could give those away because they own them. They can't give away plugins they don't own. But why do we deserve free stuff just for waiting anyway?

cove
11-10-2016, 03:00 PM
They could give those away because they own them. They can't give away plugins they don't own. But why do we deserve free stuff just for waiting anyway?

My post is not to be taken seriously as it is ment to be humourous hence the smiley.

Your right when you state---
Quote.
"But why do we deserve free stuff just for waiting anyway?"

Nobody in your terms deserved Chronosculpt either but lightwave decided to give it, out of the blue, to us as a freebie.

By posting my humourous suggestion about "Realfow" im hopig to promt lightwave to considered giving away another freeby round about this time as if i remember right it was about this time last year, around exmas that we got Chronosculpt.
No idea what they could give us as another xmas suprise and its likely that there is nothing to give. but you never know with Rob powers what he will do. He may have a suprise for us all yet again. Hope so.

jwiede
11-10-2016, 03:34 PM
My post is not to be taken seriously as it is ment to be humourous hence the smiley.

Your right when you state---
Quote.
"But why do we deserve free stuff just for waiting anyway?"

Nobody in your terms deserved Chronosculpt either but lightwave decided to give it, out of the blue, to us as a freebie.

The difference is you're asking for a gift, as opposed to thankfully receiving one by surprise. Clearer? :eek:

Understood it's being done tongue in cheek (sorta), but still not necessarily "the best look".

cove
11-11-2016, 08:20 AM
The difference is you're asking for a gift, as opposed to thankfully receiving one by surprise. Clearer? :eek:

Understood it's being done tongue in cheek (sorta), but still not necessarily "the best look".

Value your perspective and the way you have put it makes sense.
Don,t think i will let my sense of humour get in the way of any posts
that i respond to in future.
A lesson learned.

samurai_x
11-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Id like to put a good word in for 3rDPowers .
I bought the 3 following plugins as a bundle.

3DSticker100
PaintWeights
Lattice Deformer 2.00

I did not have version 1 of Lattice Deformer so could not make use of the Lattice Deformer 2.00 update.
It was cheaper to buy the bundle than the other 2 separatly.
In the email to 3rdpowers to register the plugins i said i only need the serial numbers for 3DSticker100
and PaintWeights as i do not have version 1 of Lattice Deformer.

His reply to me not only included the new serial numbers but he had given me
Lattice Deformer version 1 for free so i could make use of the update.
A great pre Xmas gift!!.

Im obviously made up with this great gesture from 3rdpowers.

Add to this the demo/tutorial video ive watched by Ryan Roye demonstrating
all 3 plugins i should be up and running with Lattice Deformer etc in no time.

I had to pay 195+33 for mine. You got lucky!
There's a new bundle now for 235usd.

Greenlaw
11-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Got my 2016 'Supplement' the other day. These tools are amazing! Each 3rd Powers release injects much new life into LightWave.

I'm having a lot of fun with Sticker but I'm mostly excited about Paint Weights. LightWave should have had this feature fifteen years ago!

bobakabob
11-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Got my 2016 'Supplement' the other day. These tools are amazing! Each 3rd Powers release injects much new life into LightWave.

I'm having a lot of fun with Sticker but I'm mostly excited about Paint Weights. LightWave should have had this feature fifteen years ago!

Totally agree. There was a time when interactive Maya style weight painting in Layout was the holy grail. Cage also allows for corrective animateable fine tuning of rigs in Layout. For my own stuff I'm looking forward doing more animation directly in Lightwave using these great tools.

calilifestyle
11-11-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm glad the sale is until November 30. This gives some time to pick up the k bundle

jeric_synergy
11-11-2016, 05:11 PM
3rd powers question: how useful is 3rd Powers 'Heat Shrink Plus'? I've never found much use for the native implementation, it seems a bit of a one-trick pony.

calilifestyle
11-11-2016, 06:09 PM
3rd powers question: how useful is 3rd Powers 'Heat Shrink Plus'? I've never found much use for the native implementation, it seems a bit of a one-trick pony.

I think with 3d sticker you may not need HS plus. Everything sticker does is what i had been doing with HSPlus in a way but with few other steps.

calilifestyle
11-11-2016, 06:12 PM

jeric_synergy
11-11-2016, 06:15 PM
I think with 3d sticker you may not need HS plus. Everything sticker does is what i had been doing with HSPlus in a way but with few other steps.
Really!? They seem like quite different functionality.

jwiede
11-12-2016, 03:29 AM

I have both, though I'm hardly expert with them. The way I view it, at least so far, is that 3DSticker is roughly-speaking a more nuanced, finesse version of HeatShrink+ operating in a specific mode.

There's the precision/finesse (3D Sticker) version versus macro-scale (HS+) version of roughly-equivalent operators. 3DSticker is limited in UX control of how it "envelops" the target with source, it's more focused on finessed placement of (typically smaller) source objects onto targets -- its focus is very much on finessed placement onto target. HeatShrink+, OTOH, is capable of taking much larger objects and refitting their geometry to envelop the target object -- it lacks the finessed alignment/placement controls, but quicker/easier w.r.t. controlling how source geometry distorts to envelop the target.

That's how I see it, anyway, hope that makes some sense. Think of the difference as being over fine-tuned location control, and how relative scales between source and target impact effort required by tool.

Paul Goodrich
11-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Just ordered. The paint weights looks very useful. Any idea how long it takes after ordering to get the links for the download? Thanks.

Paul Goodrich
11-14-2016, 12:36 PM
never mind, just got it.

Paul Goodrich
11-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Waiting for my registration code. I can't wait!

The problem with instant gratification?

It's TOO damn slow!

Greenlaw
11-14-2016, 01:01 PM
It took a day to get my key file but I think I ordered on a weekend.

It's worth the wait. :)

3rd Powers
11-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone.

It has been a long time...
We are still working on it and more, now implementing a visibility option of “Weight Shade”.

I hope you’ll like it.

Greenlaw
11-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to it. :)

jasonwestmas
11-14-2016, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone.

It has been a long time...
We are still working on it and more, now implementing a visibility option of “Weight Shade”.

I hope you’ll like it.

Kickin it!!

samurai_x
11-14-2016, 06:50 PM

Quite different. Heatshrink is more useful for retopo work. Sticker is for general modelling.

Greenlaw
11-14-2016, 07:00 PM
I used Heat Shrink over two years ago for an ice effect. In the show, 'ancient' ice had formed around a creature and I had to shatter the ice. Modeling the outside shell was easy but I needed an inner shell that was loosely formfitting around the character so it would refract more convincingly as the ice was cracking. The effect was probably more credible than what the producers were expecting given the extremely tight deadline, and Heat Shrink helped make it easier for me to do.

Oh, almost forgot: 3rd Powers interactive Boolean tool was the other half of that formula. I think I used that to break apart the ice because it generated far fewer errors than the various 'fracture' tools I tried.

Spinland
11-15-2016, 03:47 AM
FWIW I sometimes use Shrink to form fit my low-poly cages for Cage Deformer. Not exactly a finessed use case but it gives me really workable fits in nearly no time.

Norka
11-17-2016, 10:48 AM
3RD Powers, can you please make a clay buildup (with both positive and negative) plugin for LW!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Being able to do basic clay modeling in LW would be huge for many of us, I'm sure. Right guys?

Spinland
11-17-2016, 10:56 AM
I have both, though I'm hardly expert with them. The way I view it, at least so far, is that 3DSticker is roughly-speaking a more nuanced, finesse version of HeatShrink+ operating in a specific mode.

There's the precision/finesse (3D Sticker) version versus macro-scale (HS+) version of roughly-equivalent operators. 3DSticker is limited in UX control of how it "envelops" the target with source, it's more focused on finessed placement of (typically smaller) source objects onto targets -- its focus is very much on finessed placement onto target. HeatShrink+, OTOH, is capable of taking much larger objects and refitting their geometry to envelop the target object -- it lacks the finessed alignment/placement controls, but quicker/easier w.r.t. controlling how source geometry distorts to envelop the target.

That's how I see it, anyway, hope that makes some sense. Think of the difference as being over fine-tuned location control, and how relative scales between source and target impact effort required by tool.

Very much enjoyed this treatment. Great insight and well explained. Thanks for that! :thumbsup:

jwiede
11-17-2016, 07:45 PM
3RD Powers, can you please make a clay buildup (with both positive and negative) plugin for LW!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Being able to do basic clay modeling in LW would be huge for many of us, I'm sure. Right guys?

Okay, so first off, you're asking for this as an additional brush in the LWBrush product, correct?

I think to have any hope of getting what you want, you'll need to describe precisely what constitutes a "clay buildup" operation in your mind, and what you expect to happen w.r.t. the existing geometry's topology as new material is added/subtracted from what's present.

If you are indeed looking for the kind of highly-interactive material buildup operations (requiring highly-dynamic changes in geometry/topology) akin to what available in Sculptris, ZBrush dynamesh, 3DCoat Voxels, etc., it's unlikely LWBrush (or LW) will ever meet your need. It's one thing to do spot edits (as with LWBrush knife) adding/removing singular or even a few edges (and associated vertices, etc.) interactively with the existing LWSDK. LWBrush demonstrates that level of topological editing can be done today with decent interactivity.

Unfortunately, the level of dynamic topology manipulation in Sculptris or ZBrush dynamesh is at least an order of magnitude more complicated -- adjusting local subdivision density in real-time, practically regenerating much of the geometry for sizeable meshes per op, all while remaining highly interactive (including viewport updates). Current LWSDK geometry performance simply isn't adequate to support that level of activity. Those apps can do so because they're specialized, and highly optimized to that task.

The new mesh engine in LW.Next Layout might open some doors to enable implementing proper sculpting infrastructure in the future (either multi-res or dynamic geometry), but none of that is likely a "near-term" proposition. Never hurts to ask, but I suspect the most pragmatic way to achieve what you want is to use a sculpting app (ZBrush, Sculptris, 3DCoat).

Ryan Roye
11-17-2016, 08:20 PM
3RD Powers, can you please make a clay buildup (with both positive and negative) plugin for LW

I would instead get something like sculptris, then use the 3rd powers tools to retopo it (or zbrush or other if you have it).

Spinland
11-18-2016, 03:59 AM
I'll toss in a bit of love for 3D Coat. Hard to beat free but just wanted to add that to the laundry list when sculpting tools are discussed. I like their stuff and don't mind making sure their name stays on people's radar.

Full disclosure: I'm a ZBrush guy for sculpting but 3DC adds so many great retopo and UV tools it's a must-have in my toolkit. :D

samurai_x
11-18-2016, 06:38 AM

Or you can use this
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152019-Zbrush-clone-opensource

Norka
11-18-2016, 07:06 AM
I don't think you gents understand. I have been a ZBrush user for ages, and have 3DCoat as well. I own all of the 3RD Powers plugs, and use MetaMesh and LWBrush all the time... I simply want to be able to do (in LW) some of the basic clay work that I can achieve in my dang browser, using SculptGL.

And no, I was not looking for a free LWBrush "brush". I would gladly pay hundreds for a simple clay plug inside LW.

I truly have a love/hate relationship with ZB. Every time I hit the GoZ button, I know I am going to have to do more work than I would like to, when I just want to do some simple sculpting tweaks to an organic mesh. Having the ability to forego ZB for the simple stuff would be an effing dream come true. I guess I'm alone.

Spinland
11-18-2016, 07:23 AM
Okay so, yeah: mea Culpa, I missed your point. In that case it goes back to what John pointed out above, that such operations are a very specialized relative of polygon modeling and so I'd be surprised to see added clay operations make an appearance. Yeah, you can do it via a browser but that's only the interface. The actual operations are going on behind the scenes and are a Big Deal to implement. :D

Norka
11-18-2016, 08:20 AM
I don't see how what I am talking about is any different than what MetaMesh would be doing with a bunch of spheres (both Union and Subtract), but in the form of a brush, that lays down or subtracts spheres of varying heights, depending on strength...

Spinland
11-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Well, again, I would refer you to John's explanation upstream. Those are two different types of calculations needing different underpinnings. Now if you just want to add small spheres and Boolean them in that's a different animal under the covers. Guess this comes down to details. :-)

Norka
11-18-2016, 08:50 AM
(If they are listening) I'll let 3RD Powers decide what is and what is not possible. They seem like pretty sharp folks. I'm just not a status quo kind of guy, and I suspect that 3RD Powers are not either...

Spinland
11-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Heh. I don't know anyone who is. I also have more than the typical amount of experience in this and am just sharing some insight. I'll never turn down a cool feature if it's useful.

prometheus
11-20-2016, 06:40 AM
Kickin it!!

I missed that 3rd powers are about to update with a better weight display soon, and since I complained about that.that would be great, and 3rd powers communicated quite quickly on my comment on youtube..so good communication and catching customers speculations on what will be or not.

I Still will have to wait till I see how the next lightwave release turns out though before purchazing 3rd powers tools.

Michael

samurai_x
11-20-2016, 07:06 AM
I missed that 3rd powers are about to update with a better weight display soon, and since I complained about that.that would be great, and 3rd powers communicated quite quickly on my comment on youtube..so good communication and catching customers speculations on what will be or not.

I Still will have to wait till I see how the next lightwave release turns out though before purchazing 3rd powers tools.

Michael

I would dare say that lightwave 2015 will be the best legacy lightwave that lwg will have until another 4-5 years when lightwave next next next will be full featured and stable.
3rd powers wightpainting would have paid for itself atleast 100 times in 5 years.

rcallicotte
11-20-2016, 08:26 AM
My reasoning as well.

Michael

jasonwestmas
11-20-2016, 08:38 AM

Michael

Most of the time the 3rd party solutions turn out to be more powerful ime. Granted there are trade offs like having to wait for updates between 3D software versions.
I do like to see what 3rd powers does as it kinda prove what is at least possible. Granted their tools are sometimes stacked on top of lightwave and aren't fully integrated (like cage deformer) which is one of Lightwave's main weaknesses. LW3dG has the ball in their court when it comes to taking these types of features and making them tightly knit with a deformation stack of some sort. Thus granting us access to greater levels of control and easier manipulation.

Marander
11-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Granted their tools are sometimes stacked on top of lightwave and aren't fully integrated (like cage deformer) which is one of Lightwave's main weaknesses. LW3dG has the ball in their court when it comes to taking these types of features and making them tightly knit with a deformation stack of some sort. Thus granting us access to greater levels of control and easier manipulation.

Fully agree.

Once again I'm amazed, I got myself TurbulenceFD for C4D and it works perfectly together with X-Particles, dynamics, animatable shaders and parametric objects as emission sources, XPresso, 3rd party renderers like Cycles or Arnold etc. The architecture of C4D (and other up-to-date products I'm sure) allows 3rd party developers to integrate their products seamlessly into the core product and let them interconnect. A separate timeline for a plugin? Unthinkable. Want to have a light for Vray or Arnold? Just add a corresponding tag to an existing light and you have all the extended parameters available in the attribute manager, almost all of them animatable. TFD simulation window or all other plugins dockable windows can easily be dragged and docked into any part of the application like the side shelf. Want a docked dialog floating, duplicated or locked for object selection changes, just click the corresponding icon. I have the tools available where and when I want them in my application and create a new layout preset for future sessions of the same type. There are so many great examples in C4D how integration is done well like RealFlow, TFD, Substance, Houdini Engine, Arnold, Cycles, Vray etc.

I hope / expect LW Next' architecture to be based on a similar model.

Due to LW's fixed workspace I can hardly use it anymore on high res displays, the button text and dialogs are often unreadable with activated dpi scaling.

This year or in the near future, no money from me for LW related tools.

fishhead
11-20-2016, 09:30 AM
All fine and dandy... other people might of course have varying mileages: This year or in the near future, no money from me for C4D related tools.
Sorry, couldn´t resist... :-}

To stay On topic: got me the 3rd Powers Supplement2016 - and am really glad I did!!!

Marander
11-20-2016, 09:56 AM
All fine and dandy... other people might of course have varying mileages: This year or in the near future, no money from me for C4D related tools.
Sorry, couldn´t resist... :-}

Haha yes that's a good one :-) Let's see what (LW) Next Year will bring.

And I am / was (not sure anymore) tempted by the 3rd powers 2016 supplement, specially weight paint and sticker.

jeric_synergy
11-20-2016, 11:14 AM
It's very tempting, but so are many things that work with currently impressive and actively supported software ::cough:: xparticles ::cough::.

samurai_x
11-20-2016, 11:26 PM
I would dare say that lightwave 2015 will be the best legacy lightwave that lwg will have until another 4-5 years when lightwave next next next will be full featured and stable.
3rd powers wightpainting would have paid for itself atleast 100 times in 5 years.

Am I right? :D
Kat posted some interesting things about lwnext. Its going to break a ot of things even though some people believed otherwise.
But it's ok. In 5 years all will be good again. :D

tyrot
11-21-2016, 02:47 AM
3rd powers has updated lightwave .. that is it .. they have done things that LW3DG cannot even touch .. or wanted to touch .. So i guess i will retire myself with LW2015 ..

bobakabob
11-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Have just invested in the 3rd Powers Paint Weights tool for interactive binding in Layout. As expected it's a high quality toolset and a big step forward for LW character animation.

The UI is logical and workflow is fast and intuitive. Heat Bind automatically generates weights for bones. You can follow this up with Smooth weights for more subtle deformations then the lasso Paint tool which is especially good for precision editing. You can optionally view all the numerical values.

Combined with Lightwave's own bone deformation controls plus optional RHiggit, this feels much more powerful and closer to Maya style CA. However, as we know, LW Undo is limited so it pays to manually save objects if you're happy with an edit (which updates in Modeler if it's active).

I've made the Edit controls visible in the screengrab below.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/67/186042118_0f8695cd55_o.jpg

Ryan Roye
11-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Weight painting is a fun tool when you realize the new workflows it provides.

https://youtu.be/4cX-RPMP0MQ

Greenlaw
11-29-2016, 04:45 PM

Oh, sweet! I never thought to try that. Now I can't wait to get home tonight and fire up LightWave.

Nice one Ryan. :)

jasonwestmas
11-29-2016, 05:02 PM

https://youtu.be/4cX-RPMP0MQ

Now that's the directness in lightwave that I love!

spherical
11-29-2016, 08:05 PM
After seeing Ryan's video, went directly to the Store and got the Supplement before the special closes.

jeric_synergy
11-29-2016, 08:34 PM
He's their top salesman! ;)

bobakabob
11-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Ryan, that was really impressive... It will be great to see what other advantages this new toolset brings.

Spinland
11-30-2016, 11:49 AM

:bowdown:

prometheus
11-30-2016, 12:37 PM
There was never really any realizing on weight paint in layout, not for me anyway..I knew that stuff would be possible...and Much much more in the back of my head is already playing like a film, that is still to come to a theater near something, somone, someday.

and paint of instances, and more.

You could try paint and emitt particles if you can ...or fluids at once.
Blender inspiration..
No fluids shown here, just particles, but it works just the same if you just connect your fluid smoke the the vertex paint group you just painted, and it also works when continuing to paint in new on already painted areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ucH0IBEwU&list=PLdaQ-nxd0g2cyo-iZhis2Ke600ivFMOGT&index=2

Norka
01-07-2017, 06:06 AM
So who has been using 3rdPwr's Sticker for a while now?.. Does it completely rock, and totally worth every penny of $88? I have pretty much all of their other plugs, just wanted to make sure this a must-have, before pulling trigger. Please advise. (Oh, and feel free to post shots of some stuff you used Sticker for. All 3rdPwr samples are cartoohish)

erikals
01-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Sticker looks to be very cool, you might not need it very often though,
i also wonder how this compares to their Heat Shrink Plus > https://youtu.be/8_sU7HrtuMY?t=38s
maybe Sticker keeps the shape more accurate (?)

jeric_synergy
01-07-2017, 12:23 PM
(Oh, and feel free to post shots of some stuff you used Sticker for. All 3rdPwr samples are cartoohish)
+1, although I believe videos would be far better: pour moi, STICKER is much more "a verb rather than a noun"-- seeing it in action conveys much more than just seeing the results.

Still, beggars can't be choosers.

Kryslin
01-07-2017, 06:57 PM
So who has been using 3rdPwr's Sticker for a while now?.. Does it completely rock, and totally worth every penny of $88? I have pretty much all of their other plugs, just wanted to make sure this a must-have, before pulling trigger. Please advise. (Oh, and feel free to post shots of some stuff you used Sticker for. All 3rdPwr samples are cartoohish)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/3D%20Stuff/whm_6rcamomarkings3_zps3mzjrzxm.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/3D%20Stuff/whm_6rcamomarkings3_zps3mzjrzxm.jpg.html)

Every bit of stenciling is actually a UV Mapped 4 x 4 plane; I used 3D sticker to place and scale each one as needed. There are also some smaller mechanical bits on the back that were placed with it as well. 3D Sticker is like the native Place Mesh, but on steroids... And worth it for detailing models. You're not restricted to the original size of the mesh you wish to place, and it conforms the 'sticker' to the mesh you're placing it on.

erikals
01-07-2017, 08:04 PM
might be that Sticker use somewhat the same technique >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk9E5bUHhMo

Norka
02-12-2017, 07:43 AM
I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on 3D Sticker, because I need to put a bunch of welds on parts for a large industrial gig.... Yowza!.. Yeah, this thing just paid for itself in its first 15 minutes of use. Also used LWBrush's Slide to make my weld strip too, that I am now wrapping around stuff. 3RDPwrs rocks! LW3DG better hope they don't break my plugs in Next...

gamedesign1
02-12-2017, 05:24 PM
These new tools look great but I hope 3rd Powers will update LW Brush. The community posted some nice suggestions IMO for faster workflow and expanded functionality.

For LWBrush I would love to see a lot of the tools also work with background meshes and UVs.
For example, able to use tools like Grab so they move the mesh around but based on the background mesh.
I would love to be able to use the Smooth tool on UVs to relax them.

Snosrap
02-12-2017, 06:44 PM
For LWBrush I would love to see a lot of the tools also work with background meshes and UVs.
For example, able to use tools like Grab so they move the mesh around but based on the background mesh.
I would love to be able to use the Smooth tool on UVs to relax them.

That is exactly why the current LW sucks architecturally! David Ikeda, the programmer behind Chronosculpt, went into great detail explaining the downfalls of the present architecture in Modeler on his FB page as well as now removed posts on these forums. Basically all the tools are programmed on their own island as there is no underlying structure talking to everything. Case in point none of the "sequence" tools that NT introduced in 11.5 (Tweak, Transform, etc.) work in the UV window.