PDA

View Full Version : Combining ClothFX and Spline Control: Sample Attached

jeric_synergy
11-04-2016, 01:27 AM
Here's a packaged Scene that may be of interest:

This is a spline controlled cylinder that traverses the face of a mesh that is being distorted by ClothFX. The semi-unique thing here is the nulls that comprise the Spline Control spline are nodally attached to points on the ClothFX object.

This was built to examine the idea of animating SC nulls to control a distorting mesh (the cylinder). I'd think this would come up more, esp. for hoses and cables, but I haven't seen many examples. Just for fun, rather than hand animating the nulls, I decided to examine the possibility of connecting them to a mesh that was being distorted otherwise. Using more nulls would of course make the cylinder adhere more closely to the mesh, but the principle works. I determined the index # of the points using the Info Panel in Modeler.

Note that this will work for any distortion: ClothFX is used here, but it could be Bones or something else. At some point there might be evaluation order issues, but so far so good. RH could probably specify at what point such rigs would break down.

Since I made it, waste not want not, here's an example for noobies to dissect.

mummyman
11-04-2016, 05:55 AM
Excellent! Can't wait to check this out.