PDA

View Full Version : The competition

jeric_synergy
11-02-2016, 11:36 PM
I don't know that this is showing a NEW, AE2017 capability, although that seems likely, but for mograph people, this is what LWG is up against. :eek:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/how-to/introducing-cinema4d-lite-aftereffects.html

Watched this because AE2017 dropped today.

rustythe1
11-03-2016, 03:39 AM
cinema 4d has been in AE for some time now so not a new feature, but like autodesk I don't think this is really competition as its in a different league, like autodesk its expensive to rent and geared to a certain market, there is also a lot you cant do as its only the light version so only any good for translation effects, so its a bit above element 3d, but bellow what you could do with lightwave, its good in the sense that you can directly mix elements from AE and 3d easier than you could with lightwave, but lightwave has AE integration for quite some time to help you get things across,
you still have to render the cinema 4d file at the end from what I understand as what you see in AE is a sort of VPR.

Spinland
11-03-2016, 03:58 AM
That is very interesting (mainly because now I know it's time to upgrade my Adobe stuff). Thanks for sharing it!

It does appear to be more streamlined than the current LW/AE interface tools, though not enough to impel me to consider going C4D. I'm dead in the middle of comping 3D stuff into an AE composition right now, matter of fact, and (warts and all) the workflow isn't all that onerous.

It would be an understatement to say I'm keen to learn where LW3DG is going with all this. I have nothing but time to wait to find out.

rustythe1
11-03-2016, 05:54 AM
to be honest, if you look at the demo video most of that could be done directly in lightwave with no need for AE as you can directly comp there, you then also have the added bonus of using things like shadow catcher etc to add more realism, something that would be a bit harder with cinema 4d link, on top of witch VPR on that sort of scene would be so much faster than the link back and forward in AE (I think people forget you can use LW to do other things like upscale video by mapping video sequences to polys, you can also layer these up with transparency etc and turn LW into a fully layered video editor with orthographic camera, a lot cheaper than AE! and as you barely need any AA and no lighting its fast)

Schwyhart
11-03-2016, 09:47 AM
If that impresses you, then go look at what FCPX/Motion has to offer. Especially if all you need is 3D text.
This is the top video when I search for 3D in FCPX on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ltzOE6TE0

Spinland
11-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Also interesting. To be honest, doing 3D text stuff via apps like LW is so trivial I'm not much drawn in by workflows like these. I mean, flying logo stuff is so basic I teach it in 20 minute vocational ed classes pro bono. I can see how people who are challenged by this sort of work might be attracted but the target demo of a Lightwave board strikes me as a crowd who would wonder why this was worth developing. :cool:

As always, that's just my zwo Pfennig Wert. If you disagree with my take then I am happy, for diversity is the life's blood of a community. My only stipulation is we must argue over how I'm a clueless idiot over a pint on my tab. Not just any pint, but a pint of actual, real craft beer. I am always available to help educate the lesser-fortunate on the finer points of real versus crap mass market brews. ;D

jeric_synergy
11-03-2016, 11:12 PM
You still owe me some beer, if memory serves.

+++++
While 3d text treatments are a fairly trivial example, the difference here of course is that the text is procedural, and can be easily altered. I've often said, digital workflows are often no faster than others the first time: it's the 2nd, 3rd, and 99th times where you see huge advantages.

The Shape Layer feature is also pretty darn nice, for logos that are not literally text.

Spinland
11-04-2016, 04:08 AM
You still owe me some beer, if memory serves.

"My memory...serves me far too well." ~ George Michael

Indeed I do, sir. As I do more and more business with Left Coasties the potential for my getting out that way goes up. In such a case I shall have to make a point of diverting north to rain country so you can collect. :jam: