View Full Version : Octane render free for Unity3d

samurai_x
11-02-2016, 05:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5iBcVYluRs
Around 1:18:00 mark.
Wonder what's the catch.

Ztreem
11-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Cool! So next year we all can start using Octane for free through Unity. Amazing!

djwaterman
11-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Cool, I've started messing around with Unreal, and I was demo'd Unity today by a user and I thought it reminded me of the nice simple LW UI, so I'll be learning it also.

bazsa73
11-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Cool, I've started messing around with Unreal, and I was demo'd Unity today by a user and I thought it reminded me of the nice simple LW UI, so I'll be learning it also.

I'm torn apart between LW, Unity and Unreal. LW is the best, Unity is cool because it is smart and hipsterish while Unreal's render quality is unbeatable imo. It is superclean and fast and smooth. For me unity flickers and its AA is lame. For game making I would definitely choose unity. I would love to see a tighter integration with these platforms on LW's behalf.

vonpietro
11-03-2016, 10:51 AM
TIME 1.21 -- FREE OCTANE.
in unity.

they show a fairly detailed scene.
they are pushing cinematics in game engines.
really cool

ianr
11-03-2016, 11:52 AM
TIME 1.21 -- FREE OCTANE.
in unity.

they show a fairly detailed scene.
they are pushing cinematics in game engines.
really cool

Von , that is what RedShift is all about

it came the other way.....

.... it came from Game engines.

vonpietro
11-03-2016, 12:50 PM
I WAS also very impressed with the post effects part of the demo- Thats the level i'd like to see in lightwave - realtime effects that just work great.
The color grading tool was also very impressive, on the level of compositing programs like fusion -
in fact
these game engines are fast becoming one stop places where you can do it all.

LIGHTWAVE better do something quick

tyrot
11-03-2016, 01:07 PM
touchdooooooooooown

samurai_x
11-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Guess I was right not to upgrade to octane 3.0 for lw.
Now we get octane free and install to as many computers without the cost of octane+plugin per computer. :D

Anyone wanting to animate in unity should take a look at this.
http://slate.paradoxnotion.com/

erikals
11-04-2016, 01:12 AM
Awesome :)
audio is out of sync, but starts @ 1:37

Danner
11-04-2016, 03:05 AM
Awesome :)
audio is out of sync, but starts @ 1:37

The audio was fine then they screwed it up. The audio used to start with music now starts with 20 minutes of preshow audio.. anyway the Octane bit with synced audio is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ecfZF-IuSI

mummyman
11-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Octane plus Unity for free??? holy hell-yes...

erikals
11-04-2016, 09:05 AM
wonder if it supports motion blur?

samurai_x
11-04-2016, 07:40 PM
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54408

Did they just offer subscription for render nodes BUT no perpetual license for it? That's odd.
Is V3 the last version when perpetual licenses will be offered? V4 not looking good at this point.

m.d.
11-04-2016, 09:59 PM
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54408

Did they just offer subscription for render nodes BUT no perpetual license for it? That's odd.
Is V3 the last version when perpetual licenses will be offered? V4 not looking good at this point.

The slave can be rented...
You can buy another perpetual license if you wish. There never has been free slaves in octane yet....so you can rent for local, buy for local or use the octane render cloud.

samurai_x
11-04-2016, 10:51 PM
The slave can be rented...

Yeah that's what I said. But its shrewd that they won't offer perpetual license for the slave license.
People have been asking for it for years.

jwiede
11-05-2016, 04:10 AM
Yeah that's what I said. But its shrewd that they won't offer perpetual license for the slave license.
People have been asking for it for years.

Everything about that thread makes me uneasy as an Octane customer.

JohnMarchant
11-05-2016, 06:46 AM

Agree although im not an Octane customer, ive been holding back for LW 2016/2017 or whatever it is and see what their renderer comes up with. I think now i will wait a bit longer to see where this is going.

tyrot
11-05-2016, 10:22 AM

you -unfortunately- nailed it .. feeling same here...

erikals
11-05-2016, 11:13 AM
this is why i hope the LW2017 render engine will kick.

m.d.
11-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Bottom line is, Unity for free is great for people who don't need compositing, 90% of every shot I have rendered in the last 2 years have required compositing...the fact that they are giving it away free can give a sense of definite betrayal to the paying customers, but it wouldn't have worked for me in the past 2 years within unity....I would have paid for the integrated plugin version at the end.
So great news for the indie guy who can do finished shots inside unity, but for the paying customers nothing has changed

jwiede
11-05-2016, 08:01 PM
Bottom line is, Unity for free is great for people who don't need compositing, 90% of every shot I have rendered in the last 2 years have required compositing...the fact that they are giving it away free can give a sense of definite betrayal to the paying customers, but it wouldn't have worked for me in the past 2 years within unity....I would have paid for the integrated plugin version at the end.
So great news for the indie guy who can do finished shots inside unity, but for the paying customers nothing has changed

I agree, I see little reason paying Octane customers should feel "mistreated". I am one, and I'm definitely not bothered by the decision to make Octane free for Unity. If folks want to go through the trouble to move their scenes over to Unity and then deal with the much more limited output constraints, etc. there just to use Octane for free that's their choice, but I don't see that as any real "replacement" for the workflow offered by a proper Octane 3D pkg integration.

I find Otoy's evasion regarding subs in that cited thread in the Octane forum much more disturbing. I'll just leave it at that (here), that issue is more appropriately discussed in the Octane forums.

samurai_x
11-05-2016, 08:32 PM

Was there a betrayal regarding Unity octane? I didn't read anyone complain about it here or in otoy forums.

I think people are more irritated about the slave license subscription only.
Otoy is first and foremost a cloud company. Its only a matter of time before they go full cloud on octane.

m.d.
11-05-2016, 09:09 PM
I agree, I see little reason paying Octane customers should feel "mistreated". I am one, and I'm definitely not bothered by the decision to make Octane free for Unity. If folks want to go through the trouble to move their scenes over to Unity and then deal with the much more limited output constraints, etc. there just to use Octane for free that's their choice, but I don't see that as any real "replacement" for the workflow offered by a proper Octane 3D pkg integration.

Agreed....also I suspect you are just seeing Brigade, as games was it's original target

zapper1998
11-06-2016, 03:55 AM
Flipping WOW
Getting Unity updated..
I have Octane V3, wow, what a blow, wow dangit

UGHhhhhhhhyyyyy