PDA

View Full Version : Bullet and Instancing

sandman300
11-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Hello again,
It's been a little while since I've been here. I had an Idea that I wanted to try, basically to see if I could get bullet to work with instancing.

What I did was to model one ring, and then in layout I added 2 nulls (I tried it with 1 null but some of the instances would disappear) and then added instances to the nulls in a rectangular array by rotating and spacing the instances (also offset for the second null) I was able to achieve the chainmail pattern. The theory that I had was to add bullet (parts) to the instances and... well nothing happened.

It could be that I just don't know what I'm doing, or maybe bullet and instancing don't play together yet.

I could make all the rings in modeler and then avoid instancing altogether but the real goal is to see if and how well bullet and instancing interacted.

Any thoughts?

Prince Charming
11-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Hello again,
It's been a little while since I've been here. I had an Idea that I wanted to try, basically to see if I could get bullet to work with instancing.

What I did was to model one ring, and then in layout I added 2 nulls (I tried it with 1 null but some of the instances would disappear) and then added instances to the nulls in a rectangular array by rotating and spacing the instances (also offset for the second null) I was able to achieve the chainmail pattern. The theory that I had was to add bullet (parts) to the instances and... well nothing happened.

It could be that I just don't know what I'm doing, or maybe bullet and instancing don't play together yet.

I could make all the rings in modeler and then avoid instancing altogether but the real goal is to see if and how well bullet and instancing interacted.

Any thoughts?

You can use bullet with instancing, but the simulation needs to be done with proxy real geometry, then attach your instances to it using nodes with position and rotation matrices.
Basically, you can run simulations on low res geometry, and then replace them with instances using the method I described.

You cant do a simulation on actual instances yet, but you can do it on very low proxy meshes and then attach the instances to them. This all takes a bit of nodal understanding though...

sandman300
11-10-2016, 08:11 PM
That's too bad.

In the meantime, simulating 200,000 low poly proxies would take too long for what I'm doing. as it is I cut down the level to about 50,000 and had to up the poly count to get decent results. It's not as impressive but it still took over 3 hours to simulate, and another hour to render.

Lightwave is a great tool, but it has always had this one major flaw. When they can get all the tools to work with each other it will take the software to the next level.