PDA

View Full Version : Glitchy FBX Import

jnddepew
10-29-2016, 06:34 PM
I need to do a simple VFX bit for a friend's short film that requires a dragon. So I downloaded one from turbosquid that's pre-rigged in an FBX file.

But when I import it into lightwave (I'm in 11.6.3) it comes in oddly rotated:

Odly, when I turn Bones off--everything goes into place:

I've tried going through and "resting" all bones, but this just turns it into a more convoluted mess.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Greenlaw
10-30-2016, 05:26 AM
Try this: Go to frame 0. Select all the bones and press Ctrl R. Make sure the mesh and skeleton are properly aligned. Now press R. Does that help?

(The above assumes all the bones in the rig are used for deformation. It's possible that you may need to inspect the rig and deactivate any 'offset' bones that are not meant for deforming but I think this should normally do the trick. Always work with a copy of the scene of course.)

RebelHill
10-30-2016, 09:08 AM
Yeah, as Gl says, rerest all bones. You'll might find though that you need to pick through something in the top level to ensure the bones and mesh have the same alignments at rest for this to work right.

prometheus
10-30-2016, 09:43 AM
yepp, rest bones, some tips..

if you are in bone selection mode, just draw a rectangular marque over the whole dragon, it will only select the bones, then rest them with ctrl r, do so before activating them.

so you got one from turbosquid, you do know there is a good dragon in the lw 11.03 content?
if you got access to it that is?
I has a rig and walk cycle animation both with and without animation and both low and high poly versions..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTwiSGbhUEM

RebelHill
10-30-2016, 11:00 AM
then rest them with ctrl r, do so before activating them.

ctrl+r unrests... r rests. There's no need to unrest before resting.

prometheus
10-30-2016, 11:39 AM
ctrl+r unrests... r rests. There's no need to unrest before resting.
I do not use those shortcuts very much, or those task..So I was gibing advice based on greenlaws first sentence, without reading it properly to the end, so I should have quick tested before giving wrong advices, or just make sure the coffe kicks in before I answer..I just got up and was zipping on it.