PDA

View Full Version : Creepy smoke emanating from object/Character (Help)

wrightyp100
10-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Hi Guys,

been a while. Is there anyway to get any where near this effect with HV's? I've tried for hours and got sort of on the right track, but then realised it was bobbins. My smoke, not HVs.

https://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-smoke-man-with-3ds-max-fumefx-krakatoa--cms-19678

Basically I've got a real world character in a short film I'm doing that I though it would be cool if they had this creepy smoke coming from them.

Or am I going to have to learn fumefx ?

I have looked all over for this kind of effect, be it in Lightwave or AE and people only seem to do tuts for chimneys. ;)

Any advice would be brill. Ta.

bazsa73
10-27-2016, 07:59 AM
I would try Blender, I did lots of tests with it and I never looked back at outdated HVs. They dont look cool anymore.
I can share scenes if you need. Though the biggest issue is creating the character and its motion. Once you have that a smoke simulation cannot be a problem. My 2 cents.

wrightyp100
10-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Just been looking at blender. Steep learning curve :) If I could nosey at the scenes that would be brilliant!

Ztreem
10-27-2016, 08:08 AM
I think the smoke simulations is quite easy in Blender. I don't use Blender much and I don't know much of it, but sculpting and setting up simulations is two of the things I feels is quite easy to learn.
Its harder to setup smoke for render in blender than doing the actual simulation. :)

ActionBob
10-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Houdini Indie is 200 bucks for a year's subscription. If you want to tackle learning that, it is affordable and there are lots of tuts on smoke, liquids, lava, etc...

-Adrian

Ma3rk
10-27-2016, 08:44 AM
Seems like I saw something like this a couple years ago on Video CoPilot using After Effects. You might want to check that out.

prometheus
10-27-2016, 12:58 PM
I think the smoke simulations is quite easy in Blender. I don't use Blender much and I don't know much of it, but sculpting and setting up simulations is two of the things I feels is quite easy to learn.
Its harder to setup smoke for render in blender than doing the actual simulation. :)

Yes..setting up smoke for rendering is something I donīt enjoy particulary in blender, thatīs why I would prefer to work with turbulenceFD in lightwave...which makes that much easier with density.
However, the character of the smoke (not the character) is in my opinion more a particle look, in the same style more like "the day the earth stood still" where krakatoa and particle sims are final renders, not an actual fluid render even though they may have used fluids intially for simulation.
the nightcrawler effect is also something similar, I think David Ridlen knew the guy behind that particle effect.

You can probably do it straight on with fluids, it requires a bit of density work to get it look more thinner, itīs with cases like this You probably would want particle advection (if you have the abillity to render out particles in huge amounts decently fast) and simply drive the particles with a fluid simulation, unfortunatly turbulenceFD doesnīt allow that with lightwave, itīs lack of Lw sdk that prevents that, it works in cinema4d however.

without blender, without houdini, fumefx and krakatoa...and still no after effects or fusion alternative, it may be possible to do it with lightwave particles only, but you would probably have to do several passes, and much more work, what you should not do is using hypertextures at all to fake any of that motion, you would need several millions of particles, tiny tiny hv sprites, or using pixie dust...and you would need some wind forces good enough to look cool, the question is if it is worth spending that extra time with just lw particles and sprites, and you may not be able to push it to any equal high quality as the results of a fluid sim would be.

The typical hv smoke for chimney approach with hv textures shouldnīt be used here.

You would have to multiply minor effects like this 10-20 times maybe more...just particles, hv sprites some wind force..

https://vimeo.com/5822691

prometheus
10-27-2016, 01:17 PM
I must add ..if you approach it with lw particles and hv sprites, it may be wise to simply skip wind forces initially, at least not use a directional wind with a fractal texture in the velocity channels, it will halt your system in calculation time, so just try out procedural textures directly in particles motion tab velocity channel, use additive mode so it doesnīt overwrite initial velocity direction you want, add some ripple fractal textures and play with various layers of that, you could use a shell object that you can subpatch, and then use object vertices, object line or object surface, if set ot object surface you wonīt need so subdivide it to yield more starting points though.

NeonZ
10-27-2016, 07:21 PM
Just been looking at blender. Steep learning curve :) If I could nosey at the scenes that would be brilliant!

LinkedIn has free training from Lynda.com available through October 30, 2016 (https://www.linkedin.com/learning?trk=hp_promo_brand_spark1_learning). You might be able to find some Blender courses specific to what you are trying to do. Just a thought. Of course, you'll need a LinkedIn account ;)

wrightyp100
10-28-2016, 01:56 AM
cheers for the suggestions guys. lots to check out :)

bazsa73
10-28-2016, 02:43 AM
Here you go....

The cube is the domain, select it with stupid right click and then find yhe physics tab, right side of the screen rightmost little symbolbutton, a small white dot in a blue field.
Roll down to the bake section. Free all bakes. And set your File Path to your cache dir. Choose a drive with lots of space, sometimes cache files can grow huge.
F12 renders the scene. And beside object mode button in 3D view there is a little sphere. Viewport shading. Select rendered. It's similar to VPR view. Good luck!