PDA

View Full Version : Talkshow Skype screen share?

pshaff
10-25-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm working on a educational project in Boston using a TCAE 8000 and multiple Talkshows for (international) distance learning. Called Tech Support today & found out that Talkshow doesn't support screen share mode, just audio & camera. They said this was a request of Microsoft to not have that ability on the TS. Anybody know why? Is there a work around? The students will need to both connect via skype camera AND present finished work (PowerPoint, Excel, Word Docs). Students will mostly be connecting from Asia. I'm working with both TS 100 & 4000's. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thx, Peter

SBowie
10-25-2016, 01:17 PM
Both TalkShows support NDI as return sources, so you could use the free NDI Scan Converter to send a grabbed screen from the studio to students using Skype TX. Unless I misunderstand, the students can do screen sharing in the usual manner with the standard Skype desktop client when sending to you.

kanep
10-25-2016, 05:25 PM
I think he is speaking from the remote end. The student is using the desktop Skype client to send the webcam AND computer desktop to the TalkShow system.

If I recall, I think that you can have the student start an audio only call, then share the desktop that will show up on TalkShow (but then you won't be able to see the webcam). Skype TX wants to present the first video channel it receives as full screen output, so when you try to send a second channel of video, Skype TX will ignore it. This behavior is not part of TalkShow, any Skype TX based system will operate in this manner.

SBowie
10-25-2016, 07:37 PM
The student is using the desktop Skype client to send the webcam AND computer desktop to the TalkShow system. I hadn't personally tried this, so had asked QA, who said they had done so successfully. I'll try it myself tomorrow. In a pinch, you could use the Screen Capture app and NDI transmit on the sending end, I've certainly done that - but it wouldn't be free.

SBowie
10-26-2016, 11:09 AM
On closer examination, it seems like while this may work under certain limited circumstances, it's not really supported - actually deliberately prohibited - by SkypeTX. Which leaves workarounds, I guess. For example, if you could negotiate a 'classroom' price for NDI Transmit licences, it could work. Alternatively, you might share the student screens by another means. :(

pshaff
10-28-2016, 10:59 AM
On closer examination, it seems like while this may work under certain limited circumstances, it's not really supported - actually deliberately prohibited - by SkypeTX. Which leaves workarounds, I guess. For example, if you could negotiate a 'classroom' price for NDI Transmit licences, it could work. Alternatively, you might share the student screens by another means. :(

Thanks for the replys. I'm a little concerned about using NDI & Transmit. The 1st students will be in classrooms in China, I'm concerned about internet usage over there and government allowance. Any idea if folks in China have been using Newtek Transmit successfully?

SBowie
10-28-2016, 12:44 PM
I'm not clear on why it would fail. It would simply be a process running on the local host computer, just like the Skype client.

kanep
10-28-2016, 01:40 PM
I'm a bit confused on what the setup is suppose to be. I was thinking that you were having the students in China use the normal desktop Skype client.

It was on USA end with the 'production' that you are running into issues, you need to see both the webcam and the computer desktop. Skype TX was designed for full screen video output, which is why it is not letting you see the desktop once the video is running.

Your other option is to use the Skype desktop client, which does allow for webcam and desktop sharing. For the return connection, you would use NDI Transmit to get video/audio from the production back into the desktop Skype client.

Not sure how many Skype connections are you using, if it more and a few, Skype TX is going to be much easier to operate since you can use Skype TX Control to centralize management. With the Skype desktop client, you will have to go to each system to manage the connections and calls.

I recommend that you look into NewTek Professional Services to help with a job like this. It appears that you have specific workflow needs and getting them on board can help a lot the design of the workflow.
http://newtek.com/support/services-support/professional-services.html#ss-solutionsupport

SBowie
10-28-2016, 01:47 PM
On the 'studio' end of things, NDI Transmit is not needed; and, providing you don't need anything more than showing either a desktop or app window, or live video from some other supported source, all you need beyond the Talkshow unit is the NDI Scan converter. You can simply switch sources for the channel to output one or the other.

On the remote end, allowing students to share their desktop applications on the local network using NDI Scan Converter and NDI Transmit should not pose any special risks imho.

kanep
10-28-2016, 02:32 PM
This is why we need a better description of the complete workflow. We are both thinking of different ways this production could be performed based on a little bit of information.

The best answer is to get NewTek Professional Services involved.