PDA

View Full Version : Does LW have a tool for this..?

Aww167
10-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone here can help with a modeling question. I can't help feeling I've overlooked a simple solution somewhere but having spent time looking through various tools and help files I'm still stumped. Hopefully someone here can help point me toward the simple answer !
I need a way of doing an edge bevel-type operation that includes a fall-off aspect. Imagine if you have an edge of a box selected on the Y axis - as the edge is split the resulting polygon that forms is an inverted triangle.; the lower vertex remains intact but the upper point splits across by a measurable amount. Does such a tool exist either in LW or as a plugin ? Edit edges, chamfer, edge bevel all tackle the basic task but there isn't s fall-off option included that I can see. I can think of other ways of accomplishing this but they're rather long-winded. Is there not a simple operation to do it?

js33
10-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Well if it's just a simple bevel on the edge of a box you could just select the points on the bottom after the bevel and merge them. But for more complex shapes that would not work then you would probably have to use taper and other tools.

meshpig
10-23-2016, 01:26 AM
Have you tried QS (quicksaw) term on the edge? ... Multiply/More.

djwaterman
10-23-2016, 03:18 AM
Can you post a picture of what you want to do, I can't follow the description.

Aww167
10-23-2016, 03:29 AM
Well if it's just a simple bevel on the edge of a box you could just select the points on the bottom after the bevel and merge them. But for more complex shapes that would not work then you would probably have to use taper and other tools.

Yes, a nice simple solution, thanks. It was complicated by existing segments that were necessary for other reasons, but removing them makes it work, just rather time-consuming reconstructing everything afterward.
Thanks for taking the time.

js33
10-23-2016, 03:45 AM
Yes, a nice simple solution, thanks. It was complicated by existing segments that were necessary for other reasons, but removing them makes it work, just rather time-consuming reconstructing everything afterward.
Thanks for taking the time.

No problem. Glad to help.