PDA

View Full Version : GoZ Issue..

lwanmtr
10-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Ok, I started using GoZ but having a little issue....

I load the object into Modeler, start up Zbrush, hit Goz in modeler, all fine...

In zbrush I divide and then sculpt on the object....hit Goz there
Go back to Modeler..the new version is there....but only some of my edits are there..

Is there something I'm missing?

I've made the model all one surface, deleted any weight maps and made sure the UV's werent overlapping and that all are within the UV window.

m.d.
10-18-2016, 06:45 PM
you may already know this....but just in case :)

GoZ will lower the object to level 1 for export....so all the high level detail above it may not be visible

are these color (polypaint) changes or sculpting?

lwanmtr
10-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Sculpting.

Level 1 in zbrush shows what I expect to see...but when I hit goz to send it back to Modeler its not sending the whole thing. If I edit level 1 it seems to send..but that kinda defeats the purpose of using zbrush..lol

m.d.
10-18-2016, 09:07 PM
have you baked displacements or texture to UV at all?

lwanmtr
10-18-2016, 10:11 PM
Nope. Just sculpted then sent back to lw.

wingzeta
10-18-2016, 11:00 PM
I haven't used it in a while, but as I recall, you get the higher level detail from a displacement map that is generated when you GoZ, and applied to the "level 1" mesh. Sometimes the map hook-up doesn't work quite right, but if you go into the nodes you can get it mapped correctly. I seem to remember the map being in the surface nodes, but it needed to be in the displacement map nodes, or something like that. Don't quote me on that, just look in both places and see what you find. Also, GoZ doesn't automatically generate all the maps you might want for surfacing, but you can export all of those from zbrush individually, a normal map for instance.

m.d.
10-18-2016, 11:28 PM
Your totally right....
But I believe he's referring to modeler transfer.

I was trying to eliminate the displacement map applied in Zbrush as a possibility of the difference.

Check in your displacement map in zbrush to make sure displacements are off....just in case they got generated earlier and are applied on top...

I've been using zbrush and lightwave for about 8 years and haven't seen this problem, so we're probably missing something obvious

lwanmtr
10-19-2016, 12:33 AM
I"ll recheck to make sure all maps are off in Zbrush....I did look in the node editor in modeler and there was a normal and displacement applied, even though I never said to.

The fine detail and normals I expect to come from zbrush, but the base model level-1 isn't coming all the way through...or rather its like it's only sending half the edits...If I do sculpting on level 1 then it seems to send all of it (though the values are somewhat less than they appear in zbrush.

m.d.
10-19-2016, 01:26 AM
I"ll recheck to make sure all maps are off in Zbrush....I did look in the node editor in modeler and there was a normal and displacement applied, even though I never said to.

The fine detail and normals I expect to come from zbrush, but the base model level-1 isn't coming all the way through...or rather its like it's only sending half the edits...If I do sculpting on level 1 then it seems to send all of it (though the values are somewhat less than they appear in zbrush.

I think GoZ can make those maps on its own....great workflow as you never have to worry about flipping normal directions etc. only problem is the maps are stored in a temp directory so make sure to copy them to your content folder

lwanmtr
10-19-2016, 03:07 AM
I think I might know the issue... when you hit divide in zbrush, it smooths out all the loops, this applies to level 1 as well...unlike LW when using subd's..completely unexpected behavior...I was expecting it honor the base loops and just do smoothing, similar to lw subd's.

Is there a way to force it to retain the original loops? I can work with it smoothing them, but would like to kinda know what to expect...lol

Yeah, I made normal and displacement maps in zbrish before...this is just my first project that I wanted to actually use zbrush to sculpt in details.

gerry_g
10-19-2016, 04:04 AM
when you hit divide in ZBrush there is a little button to the right of it that says 'smt' (smooth) if you turn it off you get sharper faceted edges when you divide, if I want a sharper object I turn off smt for the fist two devisions then turn it on for the third, I thought only edits to the base mesh came back as the base mesh because that is what the base mesh is and any edits done at a higher level didn't because they are a morph applied to the base mesh not the base mesh itself.

lwanmtr
10-19-2016, 04:23 AM
I looked in the morphs dropdown and didn't see anything..or is there something Im missing when sending it back oner?

I dont mind the smoothing so much, since what I'm working on now is a figure...if it was tech or something Id be more annoyed at the smoothing..hehe

bobakabob
10-19-2016, 12:49 PM
FBX is so fast and efficient between apps, are there any real advantages to GoZ? Exporting FBX models from ZB with displacement, normal and texture maps intact is also blazingly fast :)

lwanmtr
10-19-2016, 01:46 PM
The advantage with GoZ is immediate interchange...no need to export, then import into lw and hope the fbx scale is correct. It's just a matter (in my case) of getting used to the way zbrush handles things.

m.d.
10-19-2016, 03:27 PM
FBX is so fast and efficient between apps, are there any real advantages to GoZ? Exporting FBX models from ZB with displacement, normal and texture maps intact is also blazingly fast :)

one click and GoZ sends the model, and wires up the displacement, normal, and texture inside of lightwave.

GoZ for lightwave was developed by Newtek...not pixologic, and they made the workflow as easy as possible.

m.d.
10-19-2016, 03:32 PM
when you hit divide in ZBrush there is a little button to the right of it that says 'smt' (smooth) if you turn it off you get sharper faceted edges when you divide, if I want a sharper object I turn off smt for the fist two devisions then turn it on for the third, I thought only edits to the base mesh came back as the base mesh because that is what the base mesh is and any edits done at a higher level didn't because they are a morph applied to the base mesh not the base mesh itself.

No the detail applied at a higher level transfers down to the base mesh....its not a morph just higher subdivisions. Try it on a cube or sphere.
Good point about disabling smooth though....a necessity if you want to keep hard edges

gerry_g
10-19-2016, 03:49 PM
ok but the changes you get relate solely to the amount the original geometry can be moved around any fine detail relating to the higher subdivisions will not be returned, for those you have to bake out a displacement map and a normal map, I tend to think of the sculpt as a morph because when the original program came out you had to store a morph target before you started sculpting so you could get to your low polly object to do the displacement map, but the only way you will get high frequency stuff out is through displacement, either that or export out the high resolution object, or hit delete lower in the geometry tab while at the highs devision and go z it back.

lwanmtr
10-19-2016, 03:53 PM
I think I got it now. And using endo's I can keep all my surface and weight information while using the zbrush generated mesh as a base.

Is there a setting for smoothing level at all, when dividing, or is it just on and off? Wondering because sometimes you want it to smooth some areas and not others.

m.d.
10-19-2016, 04:38 PM
I think I got it now. And using endo's I can keep all my surface and weight information while using the zbrush generated mesh as a base.

Is there a setting for smoothing level at all, when dividing, or is it just on and off? Wondering because sometimes you want it to smooth some areas and not others.

It's just on or off....
But really you should be exploring the deformation tab....lots of smoothing and polishing there with way more control

m.d.
10-19-2016, 04:42 PM
ok but the changes you get relate solely to the amount the original geometry can be moved around any fine detail relating to the higher subdivisions will not be returned, for those you have to bake out a displacement map and a normal map, I tend to think of the sculpt as a morph because when the original program came out you had to store a morph target before you started sculpting so you could get to your low polly object to do the displacement map, but the only way you will get high frequency stuff out is through displacement, either that or export out the high resolution object, or hit delete lower in the geometry tab while at the highs devision and go z it back.

I totally agree with your generalization....I was just being accurate in the description that it wasn't a morph as it was confusing for the OP

I didnt know about the old system of storing the morph target for displacement, must have been in the Zbrush 2 days....glad it isnt that way now

lwanmtr
10-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Yeah, as I get to using it more I'll be getting into those tools alot more. My current project doesnt really require them though. Right now im getting my workflow down between the two, which is going quicker :)

I cageuly remember zbrush back when you had to do alot of funky things to even start sculpting.