PDA

View Full Version : FORUM REBOOT: can we get all the "msg icons" back? especially "thumbsup"? STEVE!

jeric_synergy
10-14-2016, 11:28 AM
When the forum got reconstituted, not all the "message icons" or "title icons" got restored. Not so much the in-post icons to the right, but the ones that show up in the post listings alongside the title. --Checking, they are labeled "Post Icons".

Particularly missed is the "thumbsup" icon , which has the virtue of being a nice, positive message. Any tendency towards positivism is to be favored in these parlous times. It's especially galling since there's a "thumbsdown" icon. :tsktsk:

IIRC there used to be 4 lines of icons, now there's a mere two, and one short at that.

Exclaim
10-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Can we get the old color scheme back. Why did they select this brownish grey and gold theme?

Zane Condren
10-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Can we get the old color scheme back. Why did they select this brownish grey and gold theme?

Scroll to the bottom of the main forum page and choose the blue theme.

jwiede
10-15-2016, 06:03 AM
Scroll to the bottom of the main forum page and choose the blue theme.

The "blue" theme you mention is dark-on-light text, where "bp-brown" is light-on-dark text. Both vb4 and mobile "defaults" are also dark-on-light text, btw.

Light-on-dark text offers much better contrast, long-term readability, lower eyestrain, etc. For folks who prefer (or need*) light-on-dark text, the only viable theme now is the "bp-brown" which is... sub-par, to be polite. There used to be a much better-looking dark blue theme offering light-on-dark text, but it never returned after the forum redo. I believe that's what the poster was asking about, and I too would very much appreciate its return.

*: There are many legit. vision accessibility situs where light-on-dark is required for text to be usefully legible. Even "bp-brown" has text (in top header, buttons, etc.) which is "low contrast" by accessibility standards (the white-on-light brown elements), the other dark blue theme had better contrast in such cases.

Exclaim
10-15-2016, 08:53 AM
The "blue" theme you mention is dark-on-light text, where "bp-brown" is light-on-dark text. Both vb4 and mobile "defaults" are also dark-on-light text, btw.

Light-on-dark text offers much better contrast, long-term readability, lower eyestrain, etc. For folks who prefer (or need*) light-on-dark text, the only viable theme now is the "bp-brown" which is... sub-par, to be polite. There used to be a much better-looking dark blue theme offering light-on-dark text, but it never returned after the forum redo. I believe that's what the poster was asking about, and I too would very much appreciate its return.

*: There are many legit. vision accessibility situs where light-on-dark is required for text to be usefully legible. Even "bp-brown" has text (in top header, buttons, etc.) which is "low contrast" by accessibility standards (the white-on-light brown elements), the other dark blue theme had better contrast in such cases.
Exactly what I meant! Thank you for the details. I too loved the old theme.

jeric_synergy
10-15-2016, 11:47 AM
I always appreciate jweide's professional take on UI issues.

FWIW, I prefer the BP-brown theme over the alternatives.

But HEY!!! Thread drift! :angry: ;)

jwiede
10-18-2016, 11:23 AM
(blush) Thanks!

The dark blue light-on-dark theme from before looked like a customized version of "Seamus" or perhaps "Future", from Bluepearl. No obvious version compat. reasons visible why it wouldn't work, though, since the forums here still appear to be reporting as vBulletin 4. I'm guessing it just got "lost" and needs to be re-installed on the new forum server, hopefully soon. Install back the missing post icons at same time, ideally.

jwiede
10-18-2016, 11:30 AM
(doubled post after edit...odd)