PDA

View Full Version : Rock PBR texturing in Substance Designer

yaschan
10-14-2016, 06:51 AM
This is how I create textures for models in Substance Designer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDSqXDkhlA

prometheus
10-15-2016, 04:58 AM
Thanks..it rocks :)

will have to seriously research and look in to substance designer soon.

rcallicotte
10-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Great company - very good products and excellent customer service. A very personal and helpful group. Good prices, too.

JohnMarchant
10-15-2016, 01:22 PM
If you get it you wont regret it. I prefer it to Quixel because it is stand alone and will import LW objects, thats not saying that Quixel is not good it is but of course you have to have PS and there is no Mac version yet.

prometheus
10-15-2016, 02:09 PM
If you get it you wont regret it. I prefer it to Quixel because it is stand alone and will import LW objects, thats not saying that Quixel is not good it is but of course you have to have PS and there is no Mac version yet.

photoshop I have, mac I donīt have and donīt plan to get, so the question is what is the main differences between quixel and substance designer, if quixel is actually doing something better?

JohnMarchant
10-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Indeed i am in the same boat, i got SP/SD because at the time i did not need PS CC, now i have CC i also have Quixel. I find SD/SP interface far better than Quixel. I like it as a standalone plus there are PC/Mac and Linux versions. Having said that as i have had SD/SP longer than Quixel so of course i have more invested time in the learning of it. I still tend to go straight to SP/SD when i want to texture PBR, i have used Quixel a few times but to be honest buy the time it starts up, then starts PS and is ready i'm already into SP and working, plus i do not need to convert objects to OBJ to use them.

Its a personal preference thing because at the end of the day the results from Quixel are just as good as SP/SD. Same reason why i don't use Blender that much although it very powerful and in some areas streets ahead of LightWave, because i just cant deal with the UI, but i'm determined to change that in the near future.

Also changes Algorithmic make then work, when Quixel makes changes sometimes it does not work with the latest versions of CC or indeed when CC makes changes it breaks something in Quixel, that's a big thing for me as well.

As i said i always tend to fire up SP/SD for this sort of texturing as its the one i know the best and have had less problems with. Quixel is of course cheaper than SP/SD so that has to be factored in as well. Also i really do like Quixel Megascans allot.