PDA

View Full Version : Streamers tutorial in Houdini and Lightwave

Prince Charming
10-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Thought I would post this here in case anyone is interested...

A really nice Houdini user recreated one of my tutorials in Houdini. I have been trying to get someone to do this for a while, and he was kind enough to do it. It has helped me a lot in my Houdini learning. Its a great way to learn Houdini if you are a LW user. He said he may recreate others as well... So it could be a really good thing for those LWers who want to learn Houdini. Make sure you like and sub his channel.... if you want.

The method used in each is different, but the effect is the same. He used point deforms, I used particles. It can be done in lightwave similarly to how he does it, and it can be done in Houdini similar to how I did it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkxgHcV1H8Pe0bIX2lhQqng2_bgMClC9Z

biscuithead
10-12-2016, 06:56 PM
I've been getting into Houdini a bit lately, and this will come in really handy.
Thanks for posting!

erikals
10-13-2016, 01:24 AM
remember that it is fairly easy to output MDD in Houdini for later rendering in LightWave.

...if one wants to use a Houdini <> LightWave route.

THIBAULT
10-13-2016, 02:57 AM
Hi Erikals, Have you an example please ? Interesting to try. Thanks

daforum
10-13-2016, 03:58 AM
Thought I would post this here in case anyone is interested...

A really nice Houdini user recreated one of my tutorials in Houdini. I have been trying to get someone to do this for a while, and he was kind enough to do it. It has helped me a lot in my Houdini learning. Its a great way to learn Houdini if you are a LW user. He said he may recreate others as well... So it could be a really good thing for those LWers who want to learn Houdini. Make sure you like and sub his channel.... if you want.

The method used in each is different, but the effect is the same. He used point deforms, I used particles. It can be done in lightwave similarly to how he does it, and it can be done in Houdini similar to how I did it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkxgHcV1H8Pe0bIX2lhQqng2_bgMClC9Z

See, this is why Prince Charming is so important to LightWave! ( Employ him NewTek!! )
PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT EMPLOYED BY NT

If LightWave can inspire Houdini then ( IMO ) LightWave should be used by more people. More people = more studios = more LW Jobs
( I am an eternal optimist, but all it takes is a start... )

Prince Charming
10-13-2016, 03:58 AM
remember that it is fairly easy to output MDD in Houdini for later rendering in LightWave.

...if one wants to use a Houdini <> LightWave route.

I have been saying for a while... I think out of all the apps Houdini and lightwave are the best combo. They offer opposing ends of the spectrum, and Houdini needs a destructive modeler companion anyway. The only down side is the time and effort it takes to become proficient at apps that are so different.

Prince Charming
10-13-2016, 04:08 AM
The guy who did this tutorial just emailed me and said he wants to do more of them as well. So it looks like we may get a few of my tutorials remade in Houdini.

erikals
10-13-2016, 06:34 AM
yes, i agree. if i just had more time i'd be using Houdini much more. (now it's close to nill)

Hi Erikals, Have you an example please ? Interesting to try. Thanks

Thibault, no direct reference, but do check out this video form Bryphi, and another one from Blender
Bryphi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_kkWxEaKYI
Blender - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2G0phKUKnk

THIBAULT
10-13-2016, 07:11 AM
Thanks Erikals !

mummyman
10-13-2016, 07:40 AM
The guy who did this tutorial just emailed me and said he wants to do more of them as well. So it looks like we may get a few of my tutorials remade in Houdini.

This is VERY cool. I know I can say I appreciate this! Even though I've never touched Houdini... but have seen some nice stuff.

ianr
10-13-2016, 10:59 AM
See, this is why Prince Charming is so important to LightWave! ( Employ him NewTek!! )
PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT EMPLOYED BY NT

If LightWave can inspire Houdini then ( IMO ) LightWave should be used by more people. More people = more studios = more LW Jobs
( I am an eternal optimist, but all it takes is a start... )

Well Said, i'll will repeat what Houdini Execu Devs said to me,

in person in London eighteen months ago.

quote. "We like the idea of a LW- Houdini Engine.

As one is very intuitively accessible but not very deep

The other is very deep but not intuitively accessible" un-quote.

The Engine code is on Github IF some Wavers want to Crowdfund or Get

Together with the code. I'll stump up for one ,others (APPS) have done that.

Maybe it takes time to SINK IN, they (SideEffects) love the comparative elegance of LW.

It has be a Group Push for this one Dudes !