PDA

View Full Version : What have you bought while waiting foran update?

c.1
10-09-2016, 07:27 PM
I am not trashing LW just a different way to look at the loooooonng wait for any LW news, the marketing dept has really fallen waaaaay behind.
For me:
2 guitars
1 bass
2 amps
1 10x1 speaker cab
3 effect pedals
1 upgrade to Vue 2015-16 (free upgrade to 2016)
1 trip to Florence-Venice--Rome
And probably an up coming trip to Maui next year.
So I expect the upgrade to 'drop' exactly at the moment when I have no money......ain't that just the way it goes?

samurai_x
10-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Kind of ridiculous.
$250 isn't really worth much. You should only list software.
Should I list the airbnb condo unit I bought last april? The k car I bought last january for my parents? Two trips abroad and another coming up this Q4. Those came from income from lightwave paid in cash and not from my full time work. :D

What software I'm going to buy because of lightwaves delay will be the ff
zbrushcore bundle
hitfilm 5
marvelous designer

c.1
10-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Kind of ridiculous.
$250 isn't really worth much. You should only list software.
Should I list the airbnb condo unit I bought last april? The k car I bought last january for my parents? Two trips abroad and another coming up this Q4. Those came from income from lightwave paid in cash and not from my full time work. :D

What software I'm going to buy because of lightwaves delay will be the ff
zbrushcore bundle
hitfilm 5
marvelous designer

Very true, but we all allocate our cash for certain things at different times.
I was merely pointing out that $300 can be spent anywhere at any time, when you are selling a product you strive to hit
that sweet spot where the consumer has the cash and is willing to part with it. (Hobbyist speaking here)
A little hint or teaser from Newtek about a release date would help people prepare to 'pull the trigger' on a purchase.
Maybe we will see a "Black Friday" sale from Newtek.

djwaterman
10-09-2016, 10:54 PM
First world problems.

bazsa73
10-10-2016, 03:30 AM
Few kilograms of potatoes, onions, meat, food in general, socks, a pair of shoes, candies, tickets, pencils, paper, 2 books, toilet papers, etc.

pinkmouse
10-10-2016, 03:34 AM
Beer and fags.

zapper1998
10-10-2016, 04:36 AM
new GTX-1080

:)

prometheus
10-10-2016, 05:39 AM
Another intelligent response..
New underwear :)

Seriously..nothing, I wouldn´t even consider in investing in other software until the release of the next lightwave is there, Unless it´s release becomes delayed to mid 2017, then I would be worried.
Otherwise I am taking more time with getting to know blender at no cost except for time investment.

madno
10-10-2016, 06:11 AM
- redshift license.
- Trial of Pluralsight subscription (will go one year if trainings suit my needs). Mainly interested in Houdini.

MarcusM
10-10-2016, 07:11 AM
Total Commander at work.

CaptainMarlowe
10-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Syflex
Garritan Instant Orchestra
And an electronic pipe to stop smoking. Well, two electronic pipes, actually, because you can't get the geek out of the man.

50one
10-10-2016, 08:33 AM
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1408411622l/1146296.jpg

This, but only with intention of sending to Newtek headquarters.

ianr
10-10-2016, 09:09 AM

You gotta get them .... The Large Print version, dude!

erikals
10-10-2016, 12:04 PM
OD Toolset
http://origamidigital.com/newtypo/index.php/software.html

3rd Powers LW Brush
http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html

JohnMarchant
10-10-2016, 01:46 PM
LWCad 5

OD Toolset

Groundcontrol (Digital Carvers Guild)

Advanced Placement

Spinland
10-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Some new virtual instruments for my digital/MIDI guitar.

roboman
10-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Artcam software, a second cnc wood router, 3rd lathe and building to put the stuff in. That and remodeling the bathroom and dining room.

vncnt
10-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Another house.

Oh, and a non-virtual electric guitar.
Just to learn to play a non-midi instrument.

samurai_x
10-10-2016, 09:48 PM

Lets all send them this book. Or send them a link in fb or whatever social media they're on. :D

Spinland
10-11-2016, 06:19 AM
Oh, and a non-virtual electric guitar.
Just to learn to play a non-midi instrument.

Sweet! What did you get?

I normally play a Seagull acoustic but this digital toy has become more fun than ought to be legal. :rock:

CaptainMarlowe
10-11-2016, 08:31 AM
I forgot. I bought a house, too. A huge old house of granite, in a smalll village, like you can find in Brittany. Worth 650 LW upgrades. :)

Spinland
10-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Heh. This past year I've shelled out to have my existing house re-sided, solar panels installed, the long drive re-paved, and am in the middle of a minor remodeling job in the kitchen. I think I can do without a new one for a while. ;D

hrgiger
10-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Modo 10 upgrade, tree designer, Substance Painter 2 upgrade and 3D-Coat.

Jaqen
10-12-2016, 12:37 AM
CADtools for Blender - to compare with LWCAD for LightWave.

OFF
10-12-2016, 04:02 AM
Kray render v.3 - but it still beta.. (
Two Intel E5-2600 v.2 series 12 cores each.

Nicolas Jordan
10-12-2016, 09:49 AM
I haven't upgraded to LWCAD 5.x series yet so I might end up doing that in the meantime while I wait. I have kept some money set aside in anticipation of the next Lightwave release.

grafikdon
10-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Redshift License.
Stand up Desk
Syflex, which was just an impulse purchase. I have no immediate need for it, but I couldn't resist the unbelievable price.

thekho
10-13-2016, 03:19 AM
Houdini fx- I'm learning Houdini fx for just 3 weeks (What a powerful software).
Substance Painter- Brilliant program especially i love particle brush.

My passion full of knowledge is Lightwave this is so awesome :-)

vncnt
10-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Sweet! What did you get?

I normally play a Seagull acoustic but this digital toy has become more fun than ought to be legal. :rock:
A semi-hollow body guitar: Epiphone Dot 134768

More than enough for beginners like me. A nice way to add a more organic touch to virtual productions.

jeric_synergy
10-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Sweet. Me likee.

++++

Syflex, which was just an impulse purchase. I have no immediate need for it, but I couldn't resist the unbelievable price.
Crap: I popped over there to check out the price (???), and the first thing I saw was "Syflex for Cinema 4D is coming soon!"

:cry:

Spinland
10-13-2016, 01:04 PM

So sweet. Those are great guitars, with depth and tone.

My Seagull is kind of mad at me these days because I spend so much time playing with my glittery new floozy.

Today I added the files necessary to make this beauty sound just like a Martin D28, for only US$80. Try buying the real thing for that. Yeah, yeah, I get that the purists are having aneurisms over this kind of thing, and I really don't care. I'm having fun. :jester:

Spinland
10-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Out of respect for the Grande Dame who has been a faithful companion for decades, here's my trusty old Seagull acoustic:

Her first live performance was when I performed with my new brothers-in-law at my wedding in 1980, and she'd already been a companion for nearly 10 years by then. The body was a seasonal construct by La Si Do guitars, a division of Art & Lutherie in Canada. She only sounds better with age. The fretboard and action were customized by a local luthier. I really love this guitar, but right now there is so much fun to be had in the midi/digital realm that I ask her to forgive me as I explore and play. :jam:

vncnt
10-13-2016, 01:22 PM
So sweet. Those are great guitars, with depth and tone.

My Seagull is kind of mad at me these days because I spend so much time playing with my glittery new floozy.
Aaaahhhhhhhh

... and I really don't care. I'm having fun. :jester:
Music is all about having fun!

Spinland
10-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Aaaahhhhhhhh

Music is all about having fun!

Fuggin eh. I'm glad I make my living with CGI/VFX. If I had to put food on the table with my music it would lose the magic. :)

nmh
10-14-2016, 01:02 AM
MODO. And not waiting for a LW update anymore..

erikals
10-14-2016, 02:05 AM
we've been told that it'll be out when it'll be out.

until then... ... ...

next up might be a DeNoiser plugin...

forgot to add SynthEyes Intro earlier in on... not sure if i later wanna go Pro down the road...

yaschan
10-14-2016, 06:54 AM
I bought Native Instruments Maschine

Spinland
10-14-2016, 06:57 AM
I bought Native Instruments Maschine

:dance:

cagey5
10-14-2016, 01:37 PM
A new watch.

tyrot
10-14-2016, 05:03 PM
a long rope ... now looking for a chair ..

c.1
10-14-2016, 06:53 PM

A Laney IRT 15 all tube amp, it glows red becuase the devil is inside:devil:

jeric_synergy
10-15-2016, 12:23 AM
Wait a minute.... >>I<< don't glow red. WUWT?

c.1
10-15-2016, 12:57 AM
Wait a minute.... >>I<< don't glow red. WUWT?

But I think I have seen you in there, like Jack Butler (Steve Vai) from Crossroads, just waiting to get out.

Amurrell
10-15-2016, 09:26 AM
MODO. And not waiting for a LW update anymore..

Took advantage of the 40% off deal, huh? It's very tempting.

c.1
10-15-2016, 10:39 AM

I need to buy one of these too, so maybe Newtek can hold off on a LW release until I can find one:rolleyes:

erikals
10-15-2016, 10:43 AM
a long rope ... now looking for a chair ..

yes, it can be very tiresome, looking for a rope i mean. once i searched a whole building, and finally had to sit down.

nmh
10-16-2016, 06:56 AM
Took advantage of the 40% off deal, huh? It's very tempting.

yes

Greenlaw
10-16-2016, 06:37 PM
I got an Epson Surecolor P600 printer. It's a 9-color 'fine art quality' printer and can print images up to 13" x 129" (over 10 feet!) The color quality is jaw dropping gorgeous.

This printer replaces our old Epson Stylus Photo 2000p, a 6/7 color printer that printed up to 13" x 4 feet, which we used for over 10 years to print proofs and fine art giclée print. It finally gave up the ghost last summer so when my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I sheepishly said maybe a P600 with a CIS kit.

I was surprised when she actually got it for me. But she's probably going to use it more than me because she paints and draws way more than I do these days. The CIS kit is nice too--not clunky like the one I added to the old printer.

I guess this should 'inspire' me to start painting again. Maybe I should have asked for a new computer. :p

Kryslin
10-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Carbide wood turning tools for my wood shop.
Transmission repairs for my car.

ANS
10-17-2016, 06:09 AM
GTX 1080, and I plan to get MODO in next month. So, obviously, probably no more LW for me ;/

erikals
10-17-2016, 06:59 AM
a new graphics card, since i made another card shortcut for the 3'de time.

probably a used GTX 660Ti

ActionBob
10-18-2016, 08:03 AM
GTX 1080 (need new power supply so I can put my dual 980's back in to make octane scream). I also purchased Houdini Indie and upgraded to Terragen 4. Now I just need to buckle down and realize some project ideas and render them out.

Oh, and some firearms related minutia... :-)

So, waiting for LW doesn't bother me at all. I have lots of other stuff to learn and entertain myself with.

-Adrian

c.1
10-18-2016, 07:31 PM
So, waiting for LW doesn't bother me at all. I have lots of other stuff to learn and entertain myself with.

-Adrian

Yeah, me too, to tell the truth I have a very serious condition known as GAS.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome
I keep buying guitars, basses, pedals, amps.....ect..ect
I know I am not the only one with GAS, there must be some LWers with GAS as well.
There is no known cure either, an angry wife can help alleviate it somewhat but that is usually only temporary.

jasonwestmas
10-18-2016, 07:50 PM
welp I'm getting into 3D printing creating minitures, while doing short-story writing, storyboarding, mocap rigging/editing, board game design, and learning some redshift with a new gtx 1070. . . Expensive. . .Too much to do for me to wonder about lightwave.

Also been playing Xcom and Gears 4.

tyrot
10-18-2016, 09:57 PM
3d printing ? what is your 3D printer?

jasonwestmas
10-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Checking out the Trinus. Been waiting for it to arrive while I get some models ready.

http://www.trinus3d.com/

jwiede
10-20-2016, 07:15 PM
I got an Epson Surecolor P600 printer. It's a 9-color 'fine art quality' printer and can print images up to 13" x 129" (over 10 feet!) The color quality is jaw dropping gorgeous.

This printer replaces our old Epson Stylus Photo 2000p, a 6/7 color printer that printed up to 13" x 4 feet, which we used for over 10 years to print proofs and fine art giclée print. It finally gave up the ghost last summer so when my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I sheepishly said maybe a P600 with a CIS kit.

I've been eyeing that same printer for a bit, so would appreciate any comments you have from use, and/or any deep reviews you've found on it. I've read most of the "typical PC review" bits on it, but haven't really found one that discusses how well it (f.e.) works for art-type printing with media other than photo paper.

Greenlaw
10-21-2016, 06:55 PM
I've been eyeing that same printer for a bit, so would appreciate any comments you have from use...

Sure. I still need to create printer profiles so no serious printing yet (tied up with another project at the moment,) but will post a review on my website in a few weeks. Right now I'm using the factory ink that came with it but I hope to install the CIS system before too long.

The CIS I got is this one:

Marrutt CIS for Epson Surecolor P600 (http://www.marrutt.com/find-my-printer/epson-surecolor/epson-surecolor-sc-p600-printer/epson-surecolor-sc-p600-printer-ink#continuous-ink-system-cis)

We went with the CIS because it was on sale for about half-price. Looking back, however, I wonder if we shouldn't have gone with the refillable cartridges instead. I'm not sure yet but I suspect this CIS requires the printer's cover to be removed and I don't really want to do that. Will know for sure when I get around to using it.

jwiede
10-22-2016, 03:28 AM
Sure. I still need to create printer profiles so no serious printing yet (tied up with another project at the moment,) but will post a review on my website in a few weeks. Right now I'm using the factory ink that came with it but I hope to install the CIS system before too long.

The CIS I got is this one:

Marrutt CIS for Epson Surecolor P600 (http://www.marrutt.com/find-my-printer/epson-surecolor/epson-surecolor-sc-p600-printer/epson-surecolor-sc-p600-printer-ink#continuous-ink-system-cis)

We went with the CIS because it was on sale for about half-price. Looking back, however, I wonder if we shouldn't have gone with the refillable cartridges instead. I'm not sure yet but I suspect this CIS requires the printer's cover to be removed and I don't really want to do that. Will know for sure when I get around to using it.

Was the CIS just a cost-saving strategy, or was there something you preferred about Marrutt inks over Epson inks (as in, is it the ability to formulate your own custom hues/shades)?

I suspect the CIS allows the case to close (Epsons have "top open" sensors, IIRC, maybe they disable it), but hoses def. snake between the external reservoirs and the internal cartridges. Personally, I'd be too paranoid of introducing some micro-contamination into the external reservoirs that eventually clogs up a jet nozzle. Do they have filters between the external and internal for that? I definitely like the idea of much larger total volume reservoirs when doing lots of printing, but doubt I ever use enough personally to merit CIS over RCS. Still, as you note, CIS is also cheaper. Hmmm.

jwiede
10-22-2016, 03:44 AM
3d printing ? what is your 3D printer?

Didn't mention mine, but if it helps, I have two: One nominally began life as a Printrbot Simple, and now is approximately a Makers Kit Simple plus a ton of mods, custom heated bed, etc. My other began life as a MakerFarm Prusa i3V 8", but after adding RADDS electronics (32-bit), custom DRV8825s, Bulldog extruder (moving to Titan extruders), and going from Hexagon (1x) to E3DV6 (2x) hotends it too has evolved past its origins by quite a bit. I'm a very strong proponent of building your first printer from kit, just so you truly understand how everything works, and what areas are value-sensitive versus the ones which are not.

Jason, I'd be very interested in your experiences with the Trinius. I kind of question the X/Y lead screw design (versus belts) w.r.t. printing speed, but otherwise it looks well-structured (linear bearings, etc) for such an inexpensive printer, yet offers some nice optional features (like heated bed). The laser option has me quite skeptical (IME, without proper air filtering/venting laser cutters/engravers in the home are a dicey safety proposition, as toxic smoke and small fires are both quite common), but then again, we all die eventually. :devil:

meshpig
10-22-2016, 04:11 AM
Light Studio and Maxwell Render. Kinda hard to keep LW in the frame, what with MX v4 not supporting LW and not even a lookin for VRay.

Greenlaw
10-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Was the CIS just a cost-saving strategy...?

Yes, mainly cost saving. When we had our SP2000, we eventually switched to a CIS for that printer (I think it was Ink Republic,) which worked really well. But after a while, Epson stopped producing the cartridges entirely, which sent the prices through the roof, and I was glad we had switched over.

The SP2000 wasn't designed to keep out dust so I didn't think too much how the hoses dangled out, but the P600 has a new housing which does more or less seal the printer from dust, so I'd prefer to keep the cover. (Well, the P600 is not exactly 'sealed' but it's a lot better covered and protected anyway.)

I think you might be right that the new CIS should allow me to close the cover or at least disable the switch. I believe it was mentioned in a promo video I saw many months ago. I really should go back and review that and look through the docs when I get a chance.

Personally, I'd be too paranoid of introducing some micro-contamination into the external reservoirs that eventually clogs up a jet nozzle. Do they have filters between the external and internal for that?

The CIS on our old printer worked well for several years. (We used this printer for at least 11 years because I remember proofing the 'Hello Frankenstein' poster art on it.) I think so long as you keep using the printer, and use high-quality inks, clogging shouldn't be an issue. (The Marrutt inks are supposed to be equivalent to the Epson inks. I'll still be making custom profiles for them of course.)

As for dust, the inks were kept in sealed bottles that were further contained in a sealed plastic box, so dust contamination from that end generally wasn't a problem. For the printer itself, we had a fitted cover for it when it wasn't used. (We have a custom-fitted dust cover for the P600 too.) The Marrutt system didn't come with a box but I can probably modify the old box to work with it, if anything just to keep the inks together and better organized.

The old printer did eventually clog up a couple of years ago and this happened because we went through a period were the printer wasn't used for several months. (It's recommended that these printers get used at least once a month.) I managed to unclog the printer using a special flushing kit, and it worked fine for a while but then it got clogged again early this year. After that, I noticed some of the nozzles got misaligned (probably got caught when I removed a strip of blotter paper) and we decided it would be more practical to replace the printer than to get it repaired.

jasonwestmas
10-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Jason, I'd be very interested in your experiences with the Trinius. I kind of question the X/Y lead screw design (versus belts) w.r.t. printing speed, but otherwise it looks well-structured (linear bearings, etc) for such an inexpensive printer, yet offers some nice optional features (like heated bed). The laser option has me quite skeptical (IME, without proper air filtering/venting laser cutters/engravers in the home are a dicey safety proposition, as toxic smoke and small fires are both quite common), but then again, we all die eventually. :devil:

Great! glad you are interested. I'll post back once I get some prints going. I got the enclosure as well as the heat bed for ABS and laser (for fun). Also a LCD screen so I can print out on my deck with a SD card if I need to.

c.1
10-30-2016, 11:42 AM
It looks like many of us will be adding some additional "3rd Powers" products to this list.