PDA

View Full Version : Animated Paper Help

gfto
10-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Is there any way to recreate this in LW?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scgWkOUqAh8

I've used the bones and curve conform methods but this needs to do more than just follow a bone or spline curve.

Even morphs dont seem to do the trick.. It appears to need physics/ FX and weight maps or such.

Can anyone add their input?

Thanks!

pinkmouse
10-09-2016, 02:52 AM
First thought, that's a very "cartoon" stylized paper fall, real paper doesn't actually fall like that, so I'm not sure realistic dynamics would be much help.

I would try a spline curve with bone chain, but set it up so the paper/bone chain moves back and forth along the spline. Then set up the spline to simulate the first part of the curving fall, and once the paper has passed each point in the spline, move that point to the place it needs to be in the next curve, and so on. You could add a morph of the paper edges curling up as and when you thought appropriate.

Might work. ;)

bazsa73
10-09-2016, 03:38 AM
I would use spline control along with bone chaing and maybe different displacement maps blended together.

hypersuperduper
10-09-2016, 04:40 AM
You could conceivably build an invisible track for it with no friction and use soft body dynamics combined with forces. But if you can get spline control with a bone chain to work that is probably the best option. I imagine the tricky part would be moving the spline to new positions for the next "swoop" without the paper moving around all weird. Perhaps you could have the paper deformed by a bone chain that is tied to the spline control bone chain using same as item constraints and at every apex of the curve before the paper reverses for another swoop bake the bone positions and blend out the influence of the spline controlled bones while you move the spline nulls to set up the new swoop and then blend them back in smoothly. Add some endomorphs for any paper deformation that is not along the main bend axis (corners and such) And you should be able to get it to work.

wibly wobly
10-09-2016, 08:37 AM
What about just using an offset null to move most of the papers pos and then use some bones to deform the paper?

jeric_synergy
10-09-2016, 12:45 PM
(loving the variety of solutions proffered! Exxxxcellent!) :thumbsup:

MonroePoteet
10-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Nice setup, wibly wobly! By adding more geometry around the edges of the Paper object and subpatching it to allow deformation, you could use the Lazy Points displacement plugin to waft the paper around as it follows the path. Using your scene as a base, I removed a couple of "too quick" transitition keyframes which overly deformed the paper, and added a "settle" point by duplicating your last point, double-sided the surface, and added the Lazy Points deformation plugin under the Object=>Properties=>Deform tab. Looks pretty good, IMO.

Modified paper_fall scene and object attached.

Nice!
mTp

wibly wobly
10-09-2016, 02:58 PM
@ MonroePoteet for sure it was far from perfect. I just used the youtube link as a rough guide for the animation to get the point across. To me it seemed like a pretty simple way of getting the basic positions down without over-complicating things. You could do whatever you want with the paper after it's basic movement is working however you want. Moving a piece of paper around like in the video provided would be pretty hard to do. I really don't think LW's dynamics could do anything close to that kind of movement. Having the software do it for you can be really great sometime, other times just doing it by hand is the only way to make it look the way you need.

hypersuperduper
10-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Here is an the spline control solution I suggested. It was a fun little puzzle to solve and I couldn't help myself. I just used a few favorite sets in the graph editor to organize the different curves while working. Were one to do this more for real it would probably be a good idea to set up some expressions or something to consolidate the controllers into a few more usable ones.

It works well enough though.

MonroePoteet
10-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Hey ww, Absolutely no criticism intended: well done, and thanks for the post! I just took one looks at the animation you did and thought: Lazy Points. A tweek here and there...

mTp

hypersuperduper
10-09-2016, 05:31 PM

here's the invisible track and simulation variation. also works pretty well, actually better than I would have thought.

MonroePoteet
10-10-2016, 08:18 AM

here's the invisible track and simulation variation. also works pretty well, actually better than I would have thought.

That does work well, nice animation. It may be tough to get Bullet's friction to change to reflect the loss of air friction vs. gravity as the paper goes vertical though. I.E. when the paper is vertical, it slips through the air under the force of gravity, while when it's horizontal, it acts like a parachute.

Regardless, nice animation and seems workable.

mTp

wibly wobly
10-10-2016, 08:22 AM
@MonroePoteet Hey no worries. No ill feeling at all here and I apologize if I came across like there was. I used to draw for a living and your work gets torn apart all the time working in animation. If someone has a better idea or way of doing something that the client likes better. Go for it.

hypersuperduper
10-10-2016, 09:19 AM
That does work well, nice animation. It may be tough to get Bullet's friction to change to reflect the loss of air friction vs. gravity as the paper goes vertical though. I.E. when the paper is vertical, it slips through the air under the force of gravity, while when it's horizontal, it acts like a parachute.

Regardless, nice animation and seems workable.

mTp

Thanks. This works for the kind of cartoony loopy paper animation in the video I think, but it wouldn't work as well if the paper were to also float down as you suggested , although you could likely fake it by moving the track itself. You could also export the animation as an mdd and then mess with the timing a little and even use chronosculpt to add little corner flourishes and stuff.

MonroePoteet
10-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Here's the wibly wobly animation with Lazy Points in "hand drawn" style using the Sketch Image Processing plug-in.

mTp

gfto
10-10-2016, 05:57 PM
First of all, You guys are amazing! The suggestions are very detailed and helpful.. Before posting my query, I did the bone chan with the more in the z-axis trick and used a null to rotate the chain once the paper reached the end, and then morphed it in reverse to achieve the motion — but the movement wasn't as fluid as I would've liked.

I thought this may be a bit challenging and I just wanted input. I am going for the cartoony stylization and I'm sure with a few tweaks it will be acceptable.

I appreciate all of you!