PDA

View Full Version : So, no more Maxwell render for Lw

S0nny
10-07-2016, 04:25 AM
It looks like NextLimit definitively dropped the support for Maxwell V4 plugin for Lw.
Another bad news imho, as the situation wasn't serious enough for lwers.

3dworks
10-07-2016, 09:49 AM
yes, unfortunately. i tried to make them reconsider the decision, but apparently they opted our platform out, together with softimage. if i understand correctly, they don't see enough customers to use or buy maxwell. pity to see that, also because i used maxwell for many years and was one of their promoters on our platform. i can understand the marketing decision, but honestly, i'm missing loyalty to the current users. maybe at a certain point a third party developer will decide to develop a new LW plugin for maxwell, but at this point it will be an extra cost factor. time to say goodbye to maxwell for now. i guess the existing bugs in the current 3.2 plugin will never be fixed, either...

cheers

markus

S0nny
10-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Looking at how much interest there is this thread I guess NextLimit is right: it's a shame because now that Maxwell is going to be GPU it will gain much more interest just because it will probably have human render times, like octane etc.

Anyway, I guess they have the right numbers to do the math, they dropped Houdini also, but they keep, ehm, FormZ (!), which I thought it didn't existed anymore. Mystery.

fishhead
10-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Actually, I got the impression that they never really had been done very much in raising the awareness of the sheer existence of a version for LW very much...
I and also a number of others just seemed to have noticed that had existed in the first place when someone brought up that there were rumours the support for LW would be ending with the next version... :-\

p.s. itīs not even listed in the community plugin database when you search for Maxwell, or "render" for that matter ...

rustythe1
10-07-2016, 12:52 PM
it was originally created for lightwave, and two things, it has a standalone version so could you not just import something like FBX or obj, and there is a blender version so again you could take the FBX, obj MDD route being as blender is free? that's if you were desperate to use it,

Bernie2Strokes
10-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Looking at how much interest there is this thread I guess NextLimit is right: it's a shame because now that Maxwell is going to be GPU it will gain much more interest just because it will probably have human render times, like octane etc.

Anyway, I guess they have the right numbers to do the math, they dropped Houdini also, but they keep, ehm, FormZ (!), which I thought it didn't existed anymore. Mystery.

I actually plan to use Maxwell Render with my Form Z Pro 8.5

It's a shame the next one won't be used for LW, but I can't wait to see what it can do for the former.

3dworks
10-08-2016, 03:35 AM
hi bernie, also using FZ and LW here, nice to see i'm not the only one ;-)

btw. the maxwell plugin for FZ is very well done and better supported that the LW plug ever was. i'm in the same situation, but rarely used maxwell to directly render in FZ. the strong point of maxwell was for me to have an all platform system. create an MXS in FZ, use it as an instance inside LW or even in C4D. with the LW plugin being discontinued the most important element in this chain is gone for me. at this point i will not upgrade but expand my use of octane with LW. as for rendering right inside FZ i found the thea solution quite interesting and less expensive than a V4 upgrade of maxwell. i also really like the way it is integrated 100% into FZ, whereas the maxwell plugin always uses an extra viewport.

cheers

markus

cheers

markus

jwiede
10-08-2016, 02:32 PM
hi bernie, also using FZ and LW here, nice to see i'm not the only one ;-)

btw. the maxwell plugin for FZ is very well done and better supported that the LW plug ever was. i'm in the same situation, but rarely used maxwell to directly render in FZ. the strong point of maxwell was for me to have an all platform system. create an MXS in FZ, use it as an instance inside LW or even in C4D. with the LW plugin being discontinued the most important element in this chain is gone for me. at this point i will not upgrade but expand my use of octane with LW. as for rendering right inside FZ i found the thea solution quite interesting and less expensive than a V4 upgrade of maxwell. i also really like the way it is integrated 100% into FZ, whereas the maxwell plugin always uses an extra viewport.

Yeah, have both Thea and Maxwell for FormZ, and find choosing between Thea and Maxwell depends on whether I care about accurate materials representation. If so, I know I can rely on Maxwell even with complex coated materials, and even if renders take a bit longer, they'll be highly accurate representations of materials and how light interacts with them. If I'm more concerned with overall light/shadow but less so about materials, or just need animatics with better-than-OGL quality, then I find Thea more optimal. Occasionally, it'll depend just on day and/or date (shrug).

I'm sure that familiarity plays into my still favoring Maxwell a bit more, as well as that Maxwell is still a bit more stable (IME) than Thea w.r.t. FormZ. Having "universal coverage" with Maxwell across all pkgs I owned, as you mention, was definitely a huge benefit and why I got into Maxwell originally as well. I have a bunch of 3D pkgs, favor each for certain things, so free cross-platform support was a big deal.

I'm not at all surprised NextLimit dropped LW support. IMO, the writing was on the wall: When so many of the V3.x features added to Maxwell weren't usable by LW (Render Booleans, Custom Alphas, Maxwell Sea, "deep image" support, UDIM texturing, OpenSubDiv, OpenVDB, Vrcam supoort, even Procedural Emitters, IIRC) without getting into messy third-party plugin dependencies, I'm sure it began to raise doubts inside NextLimit about LW's viability as host.

S0nny
10-10-2016, 03:31 AM
I didn't realize there are so many FormZ users around, I started using it at Univeristy around 1999, but soon I discovered Lw and I didn't touch it anymore.

Anyway, yes, Maxwell studio is still there, but it's just another sw house that officially drops interest in develope something for lw. Maybe there's room in the future because of Next is in the air, who knows.

Btw v4 sould be out today, let's see how fast this gpu render goes.