PDA

View Full Version : Little Help And Advance With Recreating Logo For friend....

KryptonianKid
10-06-2016, 12:44 PM
A friend of mine... wants the new Lucasfilm logo opening from Star Wars The Force Awakens but in different wording, I have the logo designed with the name and ready in 3D, the problem I'm having is the setup for lighting for the scene... Here is the video of the logo I'm talking about... I'm struggling to get the light setup that would have been used to light the Lucasfilm logo.... especially at the beginning as it fades in and the light can be shining and sparkling...

Any help would be most appreciated... Many thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H368H5cTqVM

pinkmouse
10-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Hmm. Looks like textured luminous polys moving in front of a reflective logo might be a good start, then play with the Bloom and Glow options, perhaps with a little post work in Fusion or AE.

prometheus
10-06-2016, 11:46 PM
yes..I think pinkmouse may be on to it, or just use anitmate texture overlay in the reflection channel.

KryptonianKid
10-07-2016, 05:35 AM
Hmm. Looks like textured luminous polys moving in front of a reflective logo might be a good start, then play with the Bloom and Glow options, perhaps with a little post work in Fusion or AE.

Ok I'm not that hugely great with Lightwave.... as I haven't really done a lot of 3D work in a long time, so what kind of setup would I need to achieve the textured luminous polys in front of a reflective logo?

KryptonianKid
10-07-2016, 07:39 AM
I've attached the logo in question I'm trying to get the lighting effect like the Lucasfilm....

pinkmouse
10-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Your logo is nice, but a bit basic with no bevels or suchlike, so I suspect the best way would be a luminous texture applied directly to it. I'll have a quick play later, gotta get some stuff done first.

pinkmouse
10-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Quick play whilst on the phone:

Look Ma, no lights! :D

KryptonianKid
10-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Cool but I'm looking more in line with the new Disney Lucasfilm version... have to say I've been stressing myself out for nearly 2 days trying to work this thing without any success :(

pinkmouse
10-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Your model will never light like that, as I said above. To get that kind of effect, you need all the edges rounded over, or at least beveled, to catch highlights and reflections. If I were paid to do this, I'd probably convert your imported design into a subD object, a good few hours work in itself, before I even looked at the lighting and texturing.

KryptonianKid
10-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Your model will never light like that, as I said above. To get that kind of effect, you need all the edges rounded over, or at least beveled, to catch highlights and reflections. If I were paid to do this, I'd probably convert your imported design into a subD object, a good few hours work in itself, before I even looked at the lighting and texturing.

When I've tried bevelling out the logo I get horrible defects, e.g bevelled polygons etc become flipped.

jeric_synergy
10-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Driveby comment: sometimes it's best to start w/flat art and bevel OUTWARD rather than inward. Depending on the geometry, you may get fewer errors.

Ma3rk
10-07-2016, 07:24 PM
You might want to check out Video Co-Pilot's Element 3D and the free Sabre plug-in

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/saber_plug-in/

prometheus
10-08-2016, 05:03 AM
When I've tried bevelling out the logo I get horrible defects, e.g bevelled polygons etc become flipped.

seems ok here, but turn off smoothing for that bevel surface..it will look horrible otherwise, do not bevel out too much and have just a little inset, by default design, you R and A is overlapping..so that is one issue, as well as one concunction in the A letter that would need manual fix.
bevel the mai logo separately, ltd after that.. and do it just on the front face or front edge not the whole object at once, and for the ltd part, you just canīt use the same amount of inset...you need much lower there. 6mm x 6mm might do.

prometheus
10-08-2016, 05:22 AM
using textured environment (in this case a simple turbulence fractal texture and referencing to a null that is rotating a bit, and the same in the logo filled reflection channel referencing a control null as well, and then I used corona filter for the glow.
the sample wasnīt beveled though, I did that later unfortunately. and the light should also need variation to go dark to light to dark again, also a bit too much corona perhaps, a better reflection could also be used..perhaps hdr images...so the reflection would need improvement as the corona need too..it should only sparkle little and at certain angles.

KryptonianKid
10-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Ok thanks everybody.... I think i'm going to go with using Saber and render and do the logo in After Effects... :)

prometheus
10-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Ok thanks everybody.... I think i'm going to go with using Saber and render and do the logo in After Effects... :)

If you got sabre or is willing to invest in it, that may be a good thing..it looks great.