PDA

View Full Version : DP filter and Surface ID color order

S0nny
10-06-2016, 02:05 AM
Hi guys, I need to do some cc in animation using the surface ID buffer from DP.

Everything's fine except there are two surfaces near each other which have a very similar ID color assigned that makes difficult to do Keying by color range in AE.

What's the logic behind the color choice in surface ID input? Renaming or changing surface properties apparently do nothing to, I'd like to make those color very different or a better randomization.

Any suggestion?

Otterman
10-06-2016, 02:14 AM
had the same issue myself a couple of days ago. I spent ages trying to tease out each required Surface ID in after effects using the method you described above but it was taking ages and was not going me the results I needed so I ended up re-rendering a new matt pass which took hardly no time at all.

Be interested to know how other people approach it.

S0nny
10-06-2016, 02:44 AM
I was thinking about a second ID pass only for the surface I need. I'll probably end up with many of this passes because the changes per surfaces I'll need to do, it's not very efficient.

Edit: I'm not the expert in comp, but using Keylight 1.2 instead of color range we havemuch more settings to play with, and got it works well with the incriminated surface ID pass just clipping the mask with blacks and whites.

The question still remains anyway.

dpont
10-06-2016, 04:34 AM
One way to get color from Surface ID buffer
is to input it in the hue of a Color Tool node,
you may also add it in the other input for extending
the range of color.

You may try also to input Surface ID buffer in a random node
before converting to a color.

Denis.

S0nny
10-06-2016, 05:05 AM
Thanks Denis, this is actually how I do it, and it works really good.

The problem I have is in animation for the surfaces I need to work with in after effects: when in the surface ID have a too much similar colors it can be difficult to make a precise mask in keying.
For example, a simple buffer here (the one I'm working on is more complex, I can't post here):

As you can the ball which takes a green color moves over another surface which have a very similar green color. This makes difficult to create a keying mask based on color range.

I partially have solved the problem with Keylight 1.2, but my question is, what's the logic on how surface ID choose how to assign colors to surface? It seems to me that the color order is not based by the name or the surface properties, but by something else.
If I understand the logic maybe I can do something to make surface ID assign a different color to that specific surface without creating another matte buffer.

dpont
10-06-2016, 05:38 AM
Did you try the Surface Mask node to create a mask directly in DPFilter?

Denis.

S0nny
10-06-2016, 05:48 AM
Nope, but it's a very good idea!

Here the setup, it works perfectly now:

Thanks Denis for the precious works, as always

Otterman
10-06-2016, 06:19 AM
well that's something I will tweak in my production pipeline, should make life a little easier.

Sonny, thanks for sharing your findings and denis as ever, thanks for all your hardwork.

Julez4001
10-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Nope, but it's a very good idea!

Here the setup, it works perfectly now:

Thanks Denis for the precious works, as always

Sonny
Can you upload an .lws file and\or display the properties of the color tools?

dpont
10-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Sonny
Can you upload an .lws file and\or display the properties of the color tools?

..Varying hue of a grey ..gives a grey,
you need to select a color, a pure red is a good choice
for such usage.

Denis.

S0nny
10-10-2016, 02:24 AM
Sorry for the late, here's the test scene.

I changed the mask color to black so you can see how it works, since it masks just one surface, but the beauty of this system is that you can even choose the color you want for any surface of your object. Can be time consuming but I guess it can be usefull.