PDA

View Full Version : Can goo be modeled in Lightwave?

Bernie2Strokes
10-06-2016, 02:00 AM
Hello all you happy people!

For Halloween :devil: I'm hoping to model out a close-up of a monster peeping through my Facebook cover. I'm hoping to test the features like FiberFX and more. But I'm curious to know if goo or slime can be well modeled in Lightwave. Can anybody gives me references of Lightwave being used for good old Ghostbusters-style slime? :stumped:

jwiede
10-06-2016, 02:10 AM
Using pfx/hypervoxels for representing liquids tends to yield "globby" results, but that might be acceptable for that kind of slime. Look up "hypervoxel" and "water"/"liquid" perhaps for tutorials?

MichaelT
10-06-2016, 02:15 AM
Yes it can..

https://vimeo.com/6929556

Bernie2Strokes
10-06-2016, 02:25 AM
Yes it can..

https://vimeo.com/6929556

Thanks!

Bernie2Strokes
10-06-2016, 02:27 AM
Using pfx/hypervoxels for representing liquids tends to yield "globby" results, but that might be acceptable for that kind of slime. Look up "hypervoxel" and "water"/"liquid" perhaps for tutorials?

I was aiming for a still image but Layout can dish that out anyway.

jwiede
10-06-2016, 02:31 AM
(deleted as OP mentioned wanting it as a still, not anim)

Bernie2Strokes
10-06-2016, 02:56 AM
(deleted as OP mentioned wanting it as a still, not anim)

Sorry. I should have explained this more. For months I've been planning on changing my Facebook cover to have images that follow this artistic guideline:

Image must act like a viewfinder to something of realistic space.

One way of achieving this is by having a foreground object close to actual size and detail from the real world. For example if I were to frame the cover as a door's mail slot then everything we see through it should be of realistic distance and height from it. Or you could just scan a collection of stamps and passenger tickets and frame it within 851 x 315 px. It's like a trompe l'oeil for Facebook covers. It's October so I want to try a monster peeping through.

I guess an animated version of this would be fun but I don't have a website to apply to it too. If you can make a screen saver of something crawling across the screen that would be fun!

jwiede
10-06-2016, 03:20 AM
Can you use animated GIFs? You don't necessarily need it to be a long animation, after all.

Danner
10-06-2016, 03:28 AM
If you prefer to do it in modeler you can use metaballs.

Bernie2Strokes
10-06-2016, 03:57 AM
Can you use animated GIFs? You don't necessarily need it to be a long animation, after all.

I don't think you can use an animated gif for a Facebook cover. They've only achieved that for the posting areas.

- - - Updated - - -

If you prefer to do it in modeler you can use metaballs.

I'll give it a try.

Hmm. Anybody ever watch the 1988 version of The Blob? Not sure if anybody wants to see that creep in through a mail slot.

Anyway, here's a rough sketch of what I'm trying to do. Maybe I'll make the monster a werewolf. That could explain the drool dripping around the mail slot. Not sure if it should open inside our outwards.

MonroePoteet
10-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Here's a quick sample scene using two sets of Hypervoxels, one for the drool / slime, and one for the steam rising off of it via a ParticleFX emitter.

The drool / slime was modeled as a Spray Points cloud which was dragged with Magnet, Pole, Stretch, Move etc. to the right shape for the mail slot and drippiness. The HV's on it are Surface HVs stretched based upon a Gradient distance from the object to make it drippy with a Transparency gradient on Incidence Angle.

That point cloud was then copied to a separate layer, Merge Points to substantially reduce the point count, and then used as a Particle emitter for the steam, whose HVs are Sprite HVs with negative gravity, Expand & Dissolve texture effect, etc..

The "monster" is a total fakery, only good for a still.

Hope it helps!
mTp