PDA

View Full Version : Merge Trigon X - Why wont it work with my particular geometry?

short223
10-05-2016, 11:31 AM
I have some imported geometry from numerous conversions. Brought into LW (v2015.3) that is created with all triangles. Want to use Merge Trigon X like I have always done before but for some reason, this particular set seems immune to the plug in and does nothing and I'm not sure why. Is it the orientation of the triangles? something I can't visibly see? I have an extracted set of the polys for anyone to examine to see if they can determine why the Plugin will not work for the geometry.

Thanks!

daforum
10-05-2016, 11:35 AM
You might have to merge the points of the imported geometry first before Merge Trigons X works.

Hope it helps :)

short223
10-05-2016, 11:39 AM
You might have to merge the points of the imported geometry first before Merge Trigons X works.

Hope it helps :)

points have been merged. not the issue...

daforum
10-05-2016, 12:04 PM
...ahh, I see!

Have you opened the Polygon Statistics window to see if there is anything extra lurking on the object?

dpont
10-05-2016, 12:11 PM
All triangles are discontinuous in the UV map,
so they can't be merged to avoid UV Map destruction.
clear the UV Map then it works.

Denis.

short223
10-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Didn't check to see if there was a map included. I knew there had to be something hidden. Many thanks Denis!
Chris

Snosrap
10-05-2016, 09:06 PM
In the future just use "Merge Triangles" - it's native to LW under Construct/Reduce/Merge Triangles.

Danner
10-06-2016, 03:26 AM
Sometimes "Merge Triangles" doesn't work, sometimes Merge Trigon X doesn't work, so if one fails I always try the other. I didn't know about the UV not allowing it to merge, makes sense, good to know.

spherical
10-06-2016, 04:46 PM
An issue that I run into with imported files is that often there are polys on many, many layers. This prevents the merge. Only placing all polys that are actually related to each other on a layer with their brothers lets the merge work. Sometimes, I've had to put everything on one layer and separate sections to other layers after the merge.

Andy Webb
10-07-2016, 02:59 AM
An issue that I run into with imported files is that often there are polys on many, many layers. This prevents the merge. Only placing all polys that are actually related to each other on a layer with their brothers lets the merge work. Sometimes, I've had to put everything on one layer and separate sections to other layers after the merge.

Yes this is what I usually have to do to get it to work.