PDA

View Full Version : physis/dynamics in LW?

bluehand
12-14-2003, 12:52 PM
is there a way to apply physics or dynamics in LW. For example, have a ball rolling down a slope.

T-Light
12-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Look in the manual for Motion Designer.

You'll also find demonstration scenes in LightWave\Scenes\md

Have fun

:)

Dodgy
12-15-2003, 09:17 AM
And don't forget the new dynamics system in LW 8 (coming soon hopefully), or you can buy impact for doing hard bodies.

RyanRaner
12-15-2003, 10:46 AM
I saw on the LW8 page that there is "Cloth Dynamics". Am I correct in assuming that they mean that someone can model a layer of clothes onto a character, and LW will let the clothes "fall" into the character, stay above the skin and work?

pixelranger
12-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Yes, but that you can do allready. LW 7.5 has got softbody-simulation through "Motion Designer".

What version of lw do you have? I think cloth dynamics have been (allthough not allways equally good/stable) in LW since LW 6.0.

Anyone? Am I totally lost here, or am I right? I can't seem to remember... Anyway, the answer you are seeking is "yes" :)

Matt
12-15-2003, 10:59 AM
that's right, and it's much, much more powerful in version 8 when it arrives.

RyanRaner
12-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Well I have tried motion designer and it seems to be good for crashing lightwave. I tried the tutorial in the Newtek tutorials section, and while the scenes\objects provided in those work fine, using the same method on any thing of my own produces awful results.

Like the sail object will work ok, but if I do the same thing to a model of a shirt or something, instead of falling to the ground, it just floats in the air, and sometimes just inflates like a balloon.

So due to that I really never bothered too much with motion designer and with loose clothes I would go with some expressions instead, but it never looks as nice and fluid as it could using the dynamic functions.

hrgiger
12-15-2003, 04:37 PM
Well, don't blame Motion Designer for your own inexperience. You can't expect to open your manual, do a tutorial and be a motion designer guru. Granted, Motion Designer is a mysterious program at times and it takes a lot of experimentation to get the results you're after sometimes, but it can do some great things. I think the dynamics in 8 will be a very welcome addition over the current system.