PDA

View Full Version : Things have changed here and I need help with something

JMCarrigan
10-04-2016, 05:10 PM
I'm at a loss because it has been a very long time since I was here and things have changed. Where do I go with a problem with Lightwave 11.6.3?

Just in case, I just would like to know if there is a a help file newer than Lightwave 10 help. I am trying to set up some luxigons and the Help file shows things that are no longer there. Thx

JMCarrigan
10-04-2016, 05:56 PM
Does anyone ever use luxigons? i.e., I have a "saucer"that I wish to ring in lights. It would be nice to attach lights to many polygons rather than set up one light at a time.

ernpchan
10-04-2016, 06:03 PM
I just made a box and converted it to luxigons and then converted that to lights in Layout. I did this in 2015.3 so I see no reason why you can't do it in 11.6.3. Luxigons have been around for a long time.

hrgiger
10-04-2016, 06:11 PM
I've looked at the docs from 10.1 and the new 2015 docs and don't see much difference. Luxigons are pretty straight forward, what issue are you having?

MonroePoteet
10-04-2016, 10:19 PM
I just tested basic Luxigons in V11.6.3, they work fine. Remember that Luxigons are *polygon* based, so if you want them at specific locations, in Modeler:

1) put Points where you want the Luxigons (e.g. the edge of the saucer)
2) convert them to 1-point Polygons (Create=>Polygons=>More...=>Make 1-Point Polygons)
3) change to Polygon selection mode and select the 1-point polygons
4) use Setup=>Layout Tools=>Add Luxigon (choose any Light properties - it'll be ignored in Layout) to add the Luxigon to the selected 1-point polygons.
5) Save the object and send / load it in Layout

In Layout, first thing is to set up a Light to be used as a template for cloning the Luxigons. I almost always use a Point light with Lens Flare enabled. Then, just select the object containing the Luxigons and use Items=>Add=>Convert Luxigons, specifying the template Light you created earlier. You can then remove the template Light (or disable it in Scene Editor).

Note that you can use multi-point polygons for Luxigons: the cloned Lights will be placed at the geometric center of the multi-point polygons.

Good luck!
mTp

Sensei
10-05-2016, 02:34 AM
If you're using GI, you don't need luxigons.
Simply make some polygon with surface with high enough luminosity.
Majority of people use GI these days, you know..

JMCarrigan
10-05-2016, 08:34 AM
Thank everyone for their responses. If I can't figure it out now....well.....:foreheads

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I've looked at the docs from 10.1 and the new 2015 docs and don't see much difference. Luxigons are pretty straight forward, what issue are you having?

I'll have to get back to ya. Thanks.

mummyman
10-05-2016, 09:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VAVqeaxrYM

an old, old tutorial thingy

JMCarrigan
10-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Thanks. In trying to follow the tutorial in 11.6.3, I discovered that there are no Luxigons under add light. There is however a script under utilities that does it for me. As soon as I choose to leave the things I am doing to "make" disclosure happen, etc, I'll check things out as far as my saucer shape. Thanks again.

MonroePoteet
10-06-2016, 07:58 AM
I use the default V11.6.3 menu layout, and it's under Setup=>Layout Tools=>Add Luxigon..., as mentioned in step (4) above.

For me, I use Lights rather than luminious polys and GI as Sensei suggests primarily to get Lens Flare - in other words, I'm usually interested in the Lens Flare effects to show the positions of these "real" lights in my scene rather than just their illumination.

mTp

JMCarrigan
10-06-2016, 04:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VAVqeaxrYM

an old, old tutorial thingy

Got it in no time after everyone's suggestions.