PDA

View Full Version : EPS files are a bust, how about DXF?

charlesian2000
10-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Hi Guys,

Hopefully this will germinate some discussion.

After attempting to get .EPS files to work other than using illustrator, and failing terribly, I thought maybe a DXF import...

Well this appears to be a bust as well.

Using Inkscape to get convert a bitmap into a vector, and then opening it in Autodesk 360 where it opens fine and looks ready to go. I download the DXF file and load it into modeller, all looks well...

Nope nothing, no geometry.

Is there something glaringly obvious that I am missing?

Regards Charles

clintonman
10-03-2016, 08:46 AM
The splotchdog website has a plugin for importing svg files from Inkscape. Maybe you can import dxf to inkscape, export svg and use the plugin to load into modeler
http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:cuv&catid=11:lightwaveplugins&Itemid=161

rustythe1
10-03-2016, 08:55 AM
if you have LWCAD it imports DFX, with .EPS they need to be version 8 or before if inkscape gives you the option, https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/epsf-loader/ dstorm also has an eps/ai importer however you will need to install 32bit lightwave to run it

rustythe1
10-03-2016, 10:12 AM
yes I did, it happened the other day too, still bugs on the forum, and the order will now confuse you

jeric_synergy
10-03-2016, 10:15 AM
I think you posted in the wrong thread.

prometheus
10-03-2016, 10:42 AM
You can export out svg (ordinary) from inkscape, import svg to blender, and in blenders curve settings check 2d if you want a flat poly, svg is great in blender in terms you can edit bezier handles..unlike eps export to lightwave modeler.
so from inkscape, to blender...then export out to obj format and then load in blender, it works.

prometheus
10-03-2016, 11:09 AM
The splotchdog website has a plugin for importing svg files from Inkscape. Maybe you can import dxf to inkscape, export svg and use the plugin to load into modeler
http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:cuv&catid=11:lightwaveplugins&Itemid=161

thanks for the heads up there..I wasnīt aware of that plugin.
I donīt think he needs dxf, that was probably just an export route from autodesk to get in to lightwave, but as you mentioned..thereīs the svg import plugin, so itīs enough to export to svg from inkscape, and then load to modeler, I tested and it works, though you get polylines..which you need to cap by selecting all points and make poly.

or use blender to cap with a simple make 2d, then save obj and import to lightwave.

Danner
10-04-2016, 09:18 AM
I've had good luck with EPS from illustrator, just export as v8 as stated above. Lightwave can also cap and boolean the drawing but it doesn't always do it correctly. If the original file is a .dwg floorplan I clean it as much as I can with FreeCad or DraftSight then export as R14 ASCII DXF, then import with LWCAD.

prometheus
10-04-2016, 08:42 PM
I've had good luck with EPS from illustrator, just export as v8 as stated above. Lightwave can also cap and boolean the drawing but it doesn't always do it correctly. If the original file is a .dwg floorplan I clean it as much as I can with FreeCad or DraftSight then export as R14 ASCII DXF, then import with LWCAD.

It think the premise is he hasnīt illustrator, thus using inkscape, but there isnīt anything wrong with eps from llustrator, providing using version8 format as mentioned..If you have illustrator that is.
Otherwise the plugin svg plugin from splotchdog works when exporting from inkscape and import to lightwave, or just import svg directly to blender and save out to obj then import to lightwave.

Matt
10-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Are you sure the EPS is v8 or below?

prometheus
10-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Are you sure the EPS is v8 or below?

Maybe I am not the person you aim your comment to..who is who it you refer to?
the thread starter hasnīt explicit mentioned it didnīt work in illustrator, just that he asked for a way Not with illustrator, which to me indicates the issue isnīt illustrator export to version 8 or something..but rather that he may not have acess to illustratror..thus using inkscape.
There is however no problem at if nothing is wrong with the system that is, if he happens to have illustrator v8 is the one he should use, otherwise use the splotchdog svg importer to lightwave, and export out from inkscape to svg..or load it directly to blender which has svg import, then save out to obj.

charlesian2000 should on the other hand jump in and aswer back to see if it is resolved and what he ment...otherwise it will just be pointless guessing.

jwiede
10-06-2016, 03:28 AM
Maybe I am not the person you aim your comment to..who is who it you refer to?

Safest to presume thread replies are to OP, unless contextually directed or quoted to indicate otherwise.

OnlineRender
10-06-2016, 06:13 AM
btw Illustrator is slowly removing export formats from previous version , it will not be long before v8 is totally obsolete

Bernie2Strokes
10-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Sorry, but is the author of this thread saying Lightwave 2015 doesn't accept eps vector files from Inkscape? I no longer have Adobe Illustrator and have only started learning Inkscape.

lertola2
10-06-2016, 06:34 AM
btw Illustrator is slowly removing export formats from previous version , it will not be long before v8 is totally obsolete

What formats have they removed? As far as I was aware Illustrator can export to any of its previous creative cloud versions. And I doubt they would remove such a useful feature as Illustrator 8 export.

OnlineRender
10-06-2016, 06:44 AM
/\ well the legacy formats slowly are being devolved , I think if memory servers right IE8 is the last now in the list? , not saying it's going to happen in the immediate future but it's a consideration

prometheus
10-06-2016, 07:36 AM

I wonder if svg is simply a superior format?
at least itīs quite nice when opening in blender, since you still got bezier handles to acess and edit, not just freezed curves or polygons or polylines, that would suggest that lightwave need a way to properly support
those features in a similar way as blender, the splotchdog plugin only gives a value of resolution for the import, and when it is imported..it comes in with option to set bezier resolution from 1-1000, I donīt understand why it is called bezier resolution though, could just as well be poly or curve resolution, I associate bezier with a curve representation that can be altered...I dunno.

the imported svg file came in as transparent, from inkscape to lightwave, so you may need to adjust that, depending on how it was created in and exported from inkscape.
from illustrator to lightwave via svg..not so good looking, got artifacts, or should I say an additional marker that is supposed to be bezier data controls..but not working in lightwave, so I would have to try various settings..though that would be only to nail it down to be working..which really isnīnt needed since eps would be better from illustrator to lightwave..at least with that kind of svg support in lightwave.
svg from illustrator to blender, same there..it is excellent and you can adjust the bezier curves after import to blender, so svg from inkscape to blender,or from illustrator to blender is much better in my opinion.