PDA

View Full Version : Improvements that are a MUST (at least I think so)

PepeladZ
12-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Hi ALL,

Not sure if this will be in LW8 or not, but I have a few notes and suggestions for improvements.

SURFACE Editor (Usability Improvements):
----------------------------------------
1. Copy settings from one channel to another (for example from 'Color' to 'Transparency').

2. In the 'List of Surfaces' it should be possible to see what Channels have texture ('T') option enabled and have ability to 'sort' Surfaces based on their Name or particular Channel (Color, Diffuse, etc). Could be implemented as group for columns in the list of surfaces.

3. When assigning a texture ('T') and choosing an Image from drop-down list, images in this list should be sorted 'by Name' (not in the 'order of load').

IMAGE Editor (Usability Improvements):
1. The list of images should have 'Sort by...' option or at least all loaded images should be sorted by their names (not in the 'order of load').

GENERAL
1. Let people choose what is transparent (Black or White) in the Image () alpha channel. In most apps Black color is Transparent, however in LW transparent is White.

2. (probably bug-related note) Alpha channel in images (bitmaps) is not 'detected' although the texture file has alpha channel and surface 'Transparency' channel has proper settings. The render shows NO transparent areas (Raytrace Transparency is turned on).

Thanks for listening.

JML
12-15-2003, 09:44 AM
And how about master materials ?
that would be pretty cool.

changing one texture affecting 10 others..

PepeladZ
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Not sure about master materials... but for people who work with TONS of textures (like me and my friends in game development) finding a proper texture to assign to a new surface is STILL a pain.
3 long years past but the feature like 'Sort by' for Image Editor is still somewhere and waiting...

Captain Obvious
09-11-2006, 04:52 PM
And how about master materials ?
that would be pretty cool.

changing one texture affecting 10 others..
++

I hate setting up surfaces in complex scenes in Lightwave. In LW, I generally divide different stuff into different object files because I find it's easier to work with, but if I have one surface shared between several files, I have to copy/paste between them constantly. I hate it.

avkills
09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
How about Nodes that have a global check; then they show up in every Nodal surface if you need them?

-mark

JML
09-12-2006, 05:59 AM
that thread is old, 2003..

but I still would find master materials useful :)

PepeladZ
09-12-2006, 04:03 PM
++

I hate setting up surfaces in complex scenes in Lightwave. In LW, I generally divide different stuff into different object files because I find it's easier to work with, but if I have one surface shared between several files, I have to copy/paste between them constantly. I hate it.

At least Surfaces can be edited by "Object" or "Scene" and they are AUTOMATICALLY sorted "by Name".

This may help a bit: in LW9 (not sure about LW8.x) you can copy setting from one material and paste it to many selected at once, even if Surfaces in Surface Editor are shown in "edit by "Object" mode.

erikals
09-19-2006, 07:02 AM
+ability to save a Disp map surface. There is a workaround, storing the info in a Texture surface (F5) instead, but it doesn't store all values.