PDA

View Full Version : RH SALE... 25% off till Oct 23 plus Nodal tuts special

RebelHill
10-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Hey all.

Well, it's been about a year since my last sale... so I figure it's more or less time for another.

So, for the next 3 Weeks, I'm having a 25% off special on ALL items, which includes the recent face rigging master course. This'll be the first time that series has entered into sale, so if you've seen it previously and been tempted, now's the time.

Additional to this... I'm holding an extra special reduction on the RH Nodal tutorials... they've been around for a while, and I know a lot of you are still yet to get comfortable or practiced using LWs node system, so there's a whopping Half Price super special on those for the duration of this sale, a total steal and a wonderful gateway to nodally goodness for all those currently not entirely up to speed on such things.

So, there it is. Many thanks, all.

bazsa73
10-02-2016, 10:49 AM
October 23th, great day for a rebel...

pinkmouse
10-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Can't speak fort the rigging stuff, but the Nodal series are well worth the cash even at full price, so half price is a complete steal and anyone would be foolish not to invest.

jabbermike
10-05-2016, 12:26 AM
Hi,

is there a special way to get the half price super special? Paypal still says 25 GBP.

Cheers,

Mike

SquishyAni
10-06-2016, 04:28 PM
The rigging tutorials and Rhiggit are absolutely worth full price, so getting them on sale is a must for anyone serious about actually learning ANY sort of rigging. I have been using Rhiggit for over a year now, and it is very robust. I can get my Rigs setup easily, and additionally since learning the tutorials, I understand how to tweak them even more if I want.

This may sound like a shameless plug, but these animations were completed using RebelHill products and tutorials. See for yourself that Character Animation is completely doable in Lightwave thanks to these products.

Flex's Extreme Workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GnjRTH6cgM

Skyrik's Assignment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leaqcb4lxeY

kyuzo
10-07-2016, 02:52 AM
Hi,

is there a special way to get the half price super special? Paypal still says 25 GBP.

Cheers,

Mike

I was wondering the same thing... Is £25 the full price or the discounted price?

mav3rick
10-07-2016, 04:41 AM
The rigging tutorials and Rhiggit are absolutely worth full price, so getting them on sale is a must for anyone serious about actually learning ANY sort of rigging. I have been using Rhiggit for over a year now, and it is very robust. I can get my Rigs setup easily, and additionally since learning the tutorials, I understand how to tweak them even more if I want.

This may sound like a shameless plug, but these animations were completed using RebelHill products and tutorials. See for yourself that Character Animation is completely doable in Lightwave thanks to these products.

Flex's Extreme Workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GnjRTH6cgM

Skyrik's Assignment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leaqcb4lxeY

really impressive stuff... for all of those interested in CA in lw i am highly recommending RH tools. they are really highly polished and carefully developed with CA artist needs in mind

Jaqen
10-07-2016, 05:26 AM
An expression of wonderful confidence in the future of LW by all here.
...and what if LW dies?

Spinland
10-07-2016, 06:39 AM
...and what if LW dies?

If there were never another update after 2015.3 it would still be an important part of my workflow. How could it die? :D

Jaqen
10-07-2016, 07:00 AM
"How could it die"
Perhaps you are a senior person.
You might understand that younger persons need convincing.

ianr
10-07-2016, 07:40 AM
"How could it die"

Okay run with this, R.H. aka Craig, has in his search to give great C/A,

brought back the best methods he could find to stir into LW C/A. By deep

forensic inspection of Maya's, Softimage's CA Tools to name but a few!

That is why they are held in awe like 'Tablets from the Mountain' by Wavers.

Also Ryan's excursion into IK @ Liberty£d.com are other jewels to behold.

P.S. If you wanna look at Dstorm's plug in contribution to...Anime In Japan

that will blow you away as well. All in All, LW now is pretty well supported in CA.

But there's always more to come ,we'll see after the NeXt release?

RebelHill
10-07-2016, 06:25 PM

No special trick... all the prices listed on the site are the sale prices.

Cheers.

samurai_x
10-07-2016, 10:21 PM
"How could it die"

Lol. That was seriously funny.

Jaqen
10-07-2016, 11:55 PM
Obviously I did not make my point clear, I was probably being overly diplomatic and not wanting to offend.
To be straightforward, there is doubt about the survival of LW - (see other threads).
If I was a 3rd party developer, I would also sell off what I could while I could.
Consequently, I say to new users wait till LW3DG proves it is a viable company with a future, then buy whatever you want.

Kaptive
10-08-2016, 01:36 AM
Obviously I did not make my point clear, I was probably being overly diplomatic and not wanting to offend.
To be straightforward, there is doubt about the survival of LW - (see other threads).
If I was a 3rd party developer, I would also sell off what I could while I could.
Consequently, I say to new users wait till LW3DG proves it is a viable company with a future, then buy whatever you want.

It's very easy to sew seeds of doubt in the mind...
I do not see LW vanishing. This forum is a bit over-analytical, and through boredom, the future of LW has been discussed ad-tedium for probably 10 years. I mean, i've literally heard the same stuff for 10 years, and LW is still here and still rocking.
So don't get too caught up in what people here say in that regard... it is a waste of brain power. IF LW3DG come out and say "it's over!" ...then fair enough, otherwise it is just old women sitting around a table stirring a pot... (no offence to old women).

Also, investing in anything from RH, for me has been worth it. And even if Lightwave WAS cancelled, I'd still be using it for a good while yet, so no reason not to to invest really.

Just sayin. :)

rustythe1
10-08-2016, 01:59 AM

if you were a third party developer you probably have had 2017 for about a year now as it is clear many other third party developers have from their change logs :)

MichaelT
10-08-2016, 02:07 AM

It would help RH better if that topic was discussed elsewhere. This isn't a thread about LW being viable or not.

rustythe1
10-08-2016, 02:49 AM
exactly, I would probably recommend everyone go out and learn nodes as its a fair bet that any update to lightwave will increase the need for knowledge in this area, i for one will be getting the node tutorials as its an area i still bypass when i can, but more and more i am seeing the power of nodes opening up so many hard to reach features, and its an area i expect that will translate easy over any new features that add them

Jaqen
10-08-2016, 03:00 AM
...not if LW dies.
Y'all seem incapable of thinking beyond.

pinkmouse
10-08-2016, 03:04 AM
Indeed, Nodes in LW11/12 is still a valid workflow, and some things are still much easier in LW than Houdini. Not all, but some. :)

- - - Updated - - -

...not if LW dies.
Y'all seem incapable of thinking beyond.

I think "beyond" all the time, and you'll have to prise my copy of 11.6.3 out of my cold, dead hands, whatever happens.

Jaqen
10-08-2016, 03:04 AM
It would help RH better blah blah
I'm not interested in helping "RH".
I want to help new users make the right choice.

RebelHill
10-08-2016, 03:48 AM
I'm not interested in helping "RH". I want to help new users make the right choice.

Sadly, helping anyone in such a regard is something you can't do, because all you have is groundless speculation and no actual information.

MichaelT
10-08-2016, 04:18 AM
I'm not interested in helping "RH".
I want to help new users make the right choice.

*sigh* whatever.

MAUROCOR
10-08-2016, 04:28 AM
It would help RH better if that topic was discussed elsewhere. This isn't a thread about LW being viable or not.

AGREED!

Jaqen, you don“t have to buy but please, don“t put the face of the fool.

Spinland
10-08-2016, 05:38 AM

No kidding. WTAF? :confused:

ianr
10-08-2016, 10:27 AM
,Well it's obivous you have an agenda, other fish to fry.

I think that we have been civil enough with you Jagen,
prove to us your first name is not T R O L L.

Show us your Lightwave Mesh or Skiddaddle.
BTW your first name is not Brad ,is it?

DesertRat
10-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Back on track...thanks RebelHill for the awesome sale! I just purchased the Nodal tutorials. For those who don't know about RebelHill's tutorials, they are top notch A+ work packed full of information, plus professionally presented in an affable, easy manner (occasionally causing this viewer to chuckle at the dry wit, if I may...) Most of his series have the first 12 or so lessons for FREE if you want to get a feel for his teaching style.

The only reason I haven't purchased the Nodal tutorials until today is because I'm a dumb artist seemingly stuck in 'layers' mode thinking forever. Thanks RebelHill for your dedication to the community and taking the time to explain so many of Lightwave's secrets.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Great deal. Highly recommended.

jeric_synergy
10-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Back on track...thanks RebelHill for the awesome sale! I just purchased the Nodal tutorials. For those who don't know about RebelHill's tutorials, they are top notch A+ work packed full of information, plus professionally presented in an affable, easy manner (occasionally causing this viewer to chuckle at the dry wit, if I may...) Most of his series have the first 12 or so lessons for FREE if you want to get a feel for his teaching style.

The only reason I haven't purchased the Nodal tutorials until today is because I'm a dumb artist seemingly stuck in 'layers' mode thinking forever. Thanks RebelHill for your dedication to the community and taking the time to explain so many of Lightwave's secrets.

The Nodal series changed how I work w/LW. Don't be ashamed to go back (repeatedly in my case) to refresh your memory on how things work-- vector math is not intuitive to most people. I keep telling myself.

Jaqen
10-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Show us your Lightwave Mesh or Skiddaddle.

I don't have a mesh to show because I don't know how to use LightWave or Blender.

MichaelT
10-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Yet a man have much opinion about a tool he self confessed to not know. A man should not waste his breath to silence the void.

gamedesign1
10-08-2016, 07:24 PM
I don't have a mesh to show because I don't know how to use LightWave or Blender.

I am not asking this to annoy you or disrespect you at all, but why have you recently joined a forum about software that you don't use or have any optimism about it's future?

Exclaim
10-08-2016, 08:38 PM
exactly, I would probably recommend everyone go out and learn nodes as its a fair bet that any update to lightwave will increase the need for knowledge in this area, i for one will be getting the node tutorials as its an area i still bypass when i can, but more and more i am seeing the power of nodes opening up so many hard to reach features, and its an area i expect that will translate easy over any new features that add them

Thank you for mentioning that! I've been looking for such resources.

SquishyAni
10-09-2016, 05:43 AM
Yet a man have much opinion about a tool he self confessed to not know. A man should not waste his breath to silence the void.

:ohmy::lol:

ianr
10-09-2016, 06:01 AM

Thou Art WaverPoet laureate of the Month in my Book.:jam:

jabbermike
10-09-2016, 09:32 AM
No special trick... all the prices listed on the site are the sale prices.

Cheers.

Thank you!

TheLexx
10-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Regarding nodes - are they workable to the mathematically challenged ? Are we talking basic maths education or advanced/degree level ?

pinkmouse
10-09-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm just about as mathematically challenged as they get, and I love them. I occasionally find myself going to school homework help websites just to pick up on something I'd forgotten about. :D

stiff paper
10-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Regarding nodes - are they workable to the mathematically challenged ? Are we talking basic maths education or advanced/degree level ?

I got as far as lesson 6, which is all about vectors. At that point I had a choice; I could go off and learn about the whys, hows and what-fors of vectors and then get back to the lesson, or I could give up on trying to understand any of it.

I gave up. I've no interest in vectors. I've no interest in math. I've no interest in nodes. I just want to make things in 3D. Lightwave used to allow that without having to learn anti-intuitive crap like nodal workflows. I bought RH Nodal because I thought I should make the effort to learn about LW's nodes, but for me it was a complete waste of money.

Everybody except me loves it, though, so plainly I'm an outlier. Maybe the only outlier on this particular thing.

The really funny thing is that RH Nodal finally convinced me to abandon LW after twenty years. The LW Group seem very keen on nodal workflows, and I'm not, so I'm afraid LW is no longer for me.

rustythe1
10-09-2016, 04:48 PM
I got as far as lesson 6, which is all about vectors. At that point I had a choice; I could go off and learn about the whys, hows and what-fors of vectors and then get back to the lesson, or I could give up on trying to understand any of it.

I gave up. I've no interest in vectors. I've no interest in math. I've no interest in nodes. I just want to make things in 3D. Lightwave used to allow that without having to learn anti-intuitive crap like nodal workflows. I bought RH Nodal because I thought I should make the effort to learn about LW's nodes, but for me it was a complete waste of money.

Everybody except me loves it, though, so plainly I'm an outlier. Maybe the only outlier on this particular thing.

The really funny thing is that RH Nodal finally convinced me to abandon LW after twenty years. The LW Group seem very keen on nodal workflows, and I'm not, so I'm afraid LW is no longer for me.

its actually the way all 3d, and 2d is going, I think its even creeping into blender if I am not mistaken,

pinkmouse
10-09-2016, 06:45 PM
... At that point I had a choice; I could go off and learn about the whys, hows and what-fors of vectors and then get back to the lesson, or I could give up on trying to understand any of it..

Fact is, you can use the nodes themselves to teach yourself most of it as you go along. Just create a couple of nulls and plug stuff in and see what it does. Learn by playing, you don't have to use RH's purely theoretical methods, (though I understand why he teaches it that way).

Jaqen
10-09-2016, 09:57 PM
I got as far as lesson 6, which is all about vectors. but for me it was a complete waste of money.
It's free on youtube.

stiff paper
10-10-2016, 02:14 AM
Learn by playing
Look, I'm no longer a LW user, so my opinion now has no relevance. That's not me being sarcastic; my opinion really isn't important now. Also, this is now a derail and the guilt prickles. Still, and for all that, here's my reply:-

For everything else in LW I simply read what it said in the manual about it and then could I do it. I've never "played" with anything in 3D in the way you suggest. That's not how I learn.

This thread from 2011 still sums up everything I think about nodes:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?121900-Node-Displacement
I don't get into it until a couple of pages in, but if you have a spare half hour I think much of the thread is worth reading.

An aside: Dan Ritchie commented somewhere in a thread recently that he considered nodes to be an interface on top of what is, essentially, programming. It made me laugh. It only took five years to find a single person that agreed with me about that. (Dan likes nodes just fine, by the way.)

pinkmouse
10-10-2016, 02:22 AM
Look, I'm no longer a LW user, so my opinion now has no relevance. That's not me being sarcastic; my opinion really isn't important now.

Fair enough.

An aside: Dan Ritchie commented somewhere in a thread recently that he considered nodes to be an interface on top of what is, essentially, programming. It made me laugh. It only took five years to find a single person that agreed with me about that. (Dan likes nodes just fine, by the way.)

I agree as well. Now you have two! ;)

Jaqen
10-10-2016, 04:06 AM
Nodes are a graphical representation of conditional computer statements.

Spinland
10-10-2016, 04:18 AM
I've no interest in vectors. I've no interest in math.

Not a criticism, just an observation about how far 3D modeling has come. When I studied 3D modeling and texturing in college (both at the undergrad and graduate level) I didn't get to touch my first mouse on a modeling workstation until after coursework on the math (especially vectors) behind the scenes, because that's the bulk of what 3D display and transform is. We had to calculate transforms on paper, demonstrate understanding of the equations for things like bump mapping, and all the trimmings. We even had to write our own 3D manipulation and display programs on a Sun workstation in C. Back then the field was still part of Computer Science.

Now it's matured to the level where people take the math for granted. That's not a bad thing, just illustrative of how quickly technology evolves.

ETA: when I began my studies it was't even called 3D modeling, the term was interactive graphics. Now all you kids get off my lawn.

kyuzo
10-10-2016, 06:10 AM
I'm with you Spinny...

My first computer was an Acorn electron. To get it to do ANYTHING, we had to learn programming. These days, anyone can just press 'start' and click on an app. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but there's a lot of foundation knowledge that isn't understood by the vast majority of computer users.

My son is now old enough to start to learn programming, so his introduction will be BASIC. And just for the mental exercise, I'm gonna push my own (fairly meagre) programming abilities, and try to replicate what what achieved with regards to 3D graphics in Elite. In the past week I've researched and learned how to handle vertices and polygons, and how to calculate polygon normals and back face culling...
And this brings me back to RH's nodes tuts...

In the past week, I have had to learn a lot about vectors that I didn't previously understand. Much of which will help me figure things out within the nodes framework in LW. So I reckon it's a fairly safe bet that Craig will be getting more of my money before the week is out...

MichaelT
10-10-2016, 06:47 AM
He should offer a bundle for all the tutorials in one go.. I'd buy it.

Spinland
10-10-2016, 06:49 AM

Damn skippy! Too late for me but that would be a killer bundle.

ianr
10-10-2016, 07:37 AM
Anyone like the workflow Nodal link to Sliders in Fusion...?

Should we have that type of flow style around a big VPR window

driven by real time gpu's?

Oh! sorry guys!

I was daydreamin', it"s a sunny afternoon & LW NeXt AfteR

...flashed up on my Meta-screens.

MonroePoteet
10-10-2016, 08:12 AM

I'd appreciate such an offer of all RH tutorials in one package: my primary LW development system has no Internet connection (so I don't have to run an anti-virus, etc.), so having to download, organize, and transfer the individual tutorials while I'm experimenting is a little cumbersome.

mTp

RebelHill
10-10-2016, 08:20 AM

Both and neither...

Nodes are just an interface, a way of setting a value to a given input... no different than typing an entry into a prompt/requester. The difference is that they give you access to a whole bunch of other stuff, and the ability to connect those things together to build much more "irregular" inputs (as compared to entering a single number, colour, etc). So there's really no minimum level of technical skill that you need to have, if your know how is more basic, you'll be able to do more basic things, is more advanced, you'll be able to do more advanced things. The main advantage to nodes, is that the interface and methodology works the same anywhere nodes appear... so learn some clever method for doing something interesting with textures, you'll find that the same trick can be repurposed (or extended) to do something similarly clever with displacement, or object motion, or any number of other things.

Also, because it all works this way, it doesnt matter if you start off with less technical skill, you can make a start, doing what you're able, and as you learn more advanced ideas and concepts, you'll be able to grow within the same workflow, without having toswitch over to some more advanced method/interface within LW to let you take advantage of those increased skills.

HarverdGrad
10-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Both and neither...

Nodes are just an interface, a way of setting a value to a given input... no different than typing an entry into a prompt/requester. The difference is that they give you access to a whole bunch of other stuff, and the ability to connect those things together to build much more "irregular" inputs (as compared to entering a single number, colour, etc). So there's really no minimum level of technical skill that you need to have, if your know how is more basic, you'll be able to do more basic things, is more advanced, you'll be able to do more advanced things. The main advantage to nodes, is that the interface and methodology works the same anywhere nodes appear... so learn some clever method for doing something interesting with textures, you'll find that the same trick can be repurposed (or extended) to do something similarly clever with displacement, or object motion, or any number of other things.

Also, because it all works this way, it doesnt matter if you start off with less technical skill, you can make a start, doing what you're able, and as you learn more advanced ideas and concepts, you'll be able to grow within the same workflow, without having toswitch over to some more advanced method/interface within LW to let you take advantage of those increased skills.

If anyone is considering the training.. watch a few demo's he's got, and also read the above statement. If it clicks with you, congratulations- you'll find his training great.

Personally, I purchased his rigging training- and I couldn't get past two video's. He moves fast, and everything is "One simply has to do this..", and I'm left scratching my head.

No offense RH, my brain just isn't as advanced as everyone else's here.
Regards~

kadri
10-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Regarding nodes ; i couldn't get into nodes in Lightwave at first.
When i begun to use Terragen it "clicked" somehow.
Maybe because the nodes that are more seen as "Math" are arranged under "Functions" in Terragen
and are thus addressed as "Blue nodes" (those nodes look blue in the node preview) from users.
You can make many things without those blue nodes. But if you know them you can make many things that are outside of the standard nodes.

I still don't like nodes but they are powerful. But i think the less popularity of Terragen (especially the hobby users)
relative to "Terragen classic" is because of this node approach that old users couldn't adapt to.

I think using since many years mostly only layer kinda aproaches, it is hard to change to nodes for many users.
Terragen with only a node surface at the first look (actually you can use it without nodes but not many are aware of that), forces you to learn them.
In Lightwave they looked more like another addition you don't have to use.
After i learned to use them in Terragen, Lightwave nodes became less alien to me.

Astrocom
10-12-2016, 09:58 AM
I have almost never gone beyond modeling as I am mainly involved in product modeling but am now ready to explore the concept of animation in LightWave. Without much understanding and experience in rigging, Is just purchasing RHA sufficient for me to kickstart my animation journey or do I need to go through with both RHR and RHA?

RebelHill
10-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Well, rigging and animation are 2 very different, though highly connected things. You dont need to know anything really about rigging in order to learn animation, but having a decent rig will help make the task easier (for instance... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TodIEAZPao ). Similarly, to build a good rig doest (strictly speaking) require knowing aimation... but since that's the point of a rig, it'd be hard to build one that served well the needs of an animator if you didnt know something about it.

If animation is what you're after going into, then it's just as well to start there, and then explore rigging itself later if/when you find yourself in more need of those skills.

TheLexx
10-15-2016, 01:19 PM
I finally took the plunge and just bought every single thing by RebelHill (thanks for the sale prices RebelHill).

jabbermike
10-16-2016, 04:38 AM
Thank you!

3,2,1... bought

RebelHill
10-16-2016, 08:24 AM
I do hope you guys are happy with your bits.

As a reminder to everyone else... it's the last week of the same now, time enough to grab some goodies yet.

Cheers all.

jeric_synergy
10-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Fact is, you can use the nodes themselves to teach yourself most of it as you go along. Just create a couple of nulls and plug stuff in and see what it does. Learn by playing, you don't have to use RH's purely theoretical methods, (though I understand why he teaches it that way).

Indeed. One of the "meta-lessons" you can learn from the RH nodal series is, "You don't really need to know what you're doing before you start", or "Messing about works too".

This is hard for adults, not so much for children.

As you watch the lessons, you can see where RH either screws up, or screws up intentionally to make a point. Sometimes just slappin' connections in there gives you a lead on what you need.

I will say, especially for nodal MOTION, getting a simple book on trigonometry can be extremely profitable. Being able to manipulate sine waves is especially useful for repeating or cyclic motion/actions.

+++++++++++

As to the necessity of nodal interfaces: nodal approaches allow users who can use them to build tools that do not exist. If you want to do something that the application doesn't have "canned" a nodal approach allows you to build a tool that will accomplish that goal.

Expressions are similar in technological expertise required, but are not graphical in nature. People never seemed to get as emotional about Expressions as they do about nodes, but maybe that's because they just give up on it immediately, thinking "it's programming" -- which it is. Getting a sine wave out of an Expression is not quite as simple as grabbing a SIN node, and there's a thousand stinking little trip wires ("What? I have to capitalize the 3rd letter???" "What, I missed ONE damn parenthesis?") in them compared to nodes.

Nodes give animators more handles to grab in their Scenes. If you want to ignore all those handles, your animations will be limited.
+++++++++++++++

I have almost never gone beyond modeling as I am mainly involved in product modeling but am now ready to explore the concept of animation in LightWave. Without much understanding and experience in rigging, Is just purchasing RHA sufficient for me to kickstart my animation journey or do I need to go through with both RHR and RHA?
I will say that RH's rigging offerings are MOST useful to character animators, not so much for product animation. While you can rig, say, a series of vents on a Harrier to move together, or better, all the bits of a landing gear assembly, the main thrust for the rigging vids are animals, including people.

The node series is GENERALLY useful, as nodal editors exist in many parts of LW: Surfacing, Displacement, Motion, and a couple more that escape me right now.