PDA

View Full Version : Preview of what's coming next for Zbruksh

hrgiger
09-30-2016, 03:07 AM
Tomorrow during the opening day of the Zbrush summit, there will be a presentation at 8:00 PST, the Pixologic team will be giving a demo of Zbrush Core the new streamlined version of Zbrush but they will also be presenting what's coming next for Zbrush.

Full Schedule:

http://summit.pixologic.com/events.php

rustythe1
09-30-2016, 06:12 AM
its funny, because they did a demo of some of 5 back in 2014 summit or siggraph and some one said it was just around the corner, and then nearly 6 month later 4r7 came out, wonder how that feels? :)

hrgiger
09-30-2016, 08:20 AM
its funny, because they did a demo of some of 5 back in 2014 summit or siggraph and some one said it was just around the corner, and then nearly 6 month later 4r7 came out, wonder how that feels? :)

You sure about that? I've never seen Pixologic talk about and certainly not demo zbrush 5. They showed version 4R7 then and the only mention of 5 was that they said version 5 will be 64 bit only. I've looked back to the press releases for the 2014 summit and that is the only mention of 5 there is and this would be first I've heard of it.

rustythe1
09-30-2016, 09:10 AM
yes, it was a live streaming event and the guy did keep saying he probably shouldn't be showing it but he was (it seemed a bit put acted as if it was the intention to show but was a good way for them not to have to follow up promises however it was a fully working version, they did also go on to demo some of the features that were planed for a final 4 revision that was supposed to be released directly after, however I think 5 got delayed and then they added 64bit beta to 4r7 and made it a full upgrade)

hrgiger
09-30-2016, 09:27 AM
You seem to be the only person who knows about this, I can't find any reference to that anywhere. And I pretty much soak up all information zbrush related so not saying youre wrong but I'm surprised in the last two years I've not seen any mention of that on the forums or elsewhere on social media. Video or it didn't happen.;)

DCjr
09-30-2016, 02:01 PM
yes, it was a live streaming event and the guy did keep saying he probably shouldn't be showing it but he was (it seemed a bit put acted as if it was the intention to show but was a good way for them not to have to follow up promises however it was a fully working version, they did also go on to demo some of the features that were planed for a final 4 revision that was supposed to be released directly after, however I think 5 got delayed and then they added 64bit beta to 4r7 and made it a full upgrade)

I seem to remember that video. I was watching it live.

bobakabob
09-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Nice quote on the Polycount forum about ZB 5:
"ZBrush releases have always been non-annual / random, unlike most other 3D apps. They'll show it when they think it's ready." Sound familiar...? If it's OK for Pixologic...

hrgiger
09-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Nice quote on the Polycount forum about ZB 5:
"ZBrush releases have always been non-annual / random, unlike most other 3D apps. They'll show it when they think it's ready." Sound familiar...? If it's OK for Pixologic...

Zbrush upgrades have been free since as far back as I can remember (maybe always?) so that's actually the reason people have no right to complain.

bobakabob
09-30-2016, 06:05 PM
Well we got quite a few nice updates with LW since 10 and they didn't exactly break the bank.
Yes, ZB has been incredible value. I bought in around V2 and still have the box, disc and beautiful manual. Never looked back. Interesting to see if they'll charge for R5.

samurai_x
09-30-2016, 09:25 PM
Livestream
http://livestream.com/pixologic/events/6387612

hrgiger
09-30-2016, 10:33 PM
So next version of Zbrush is 4R8. Includes new gizmo handle (which you can create your own), new brush options, vector displacement brushes, and real time booleans.

bobakabob
10-01-2016, 04:40 AM
Are they replacing the old translate tool or is the gizmo an addition?

hrgiger
10-01-2016, 05:03 AM
Looks like in addition. They showed using the transpose line when adjusting the number of instances that were used as booleans cutters.

bobakabob
10-01-2016, 06:26 AM
That's good, once you get the hang of it the transpose tool is fast and flexible.

sadkkf
10-05-2016, 02:23 PM
I missed the live stream, but watched the video. I found it interesting how during the Square Enix segement with the Japanese artists the interface was still in English. I'm very new to ZB and don't even know if international versions exist.

hrgiger
10-05-2016, 02:36 PM
I missed the live stream, but watched the video. I found it interesting how during the Square Enix segement with the Japanese artists the interface was still in English. I'm very new to ZB and don't even know if international versions exist.

Kind of curious about that myself although the new version 4R8 adds multi-language support so I'm guessing this is the first version that has it?

gerry_g
10-05-2016, 03:31 PM
might just as well be in Chinese half the time, can't wait for the death of transform/transpose tool

bobakabob
10-06-2016, 06:46 AM
The transpose tool is fine and has a nice efficient feel once you get used to it - it's just not intuitive to new users bearing little resemblance to conventional "Move" and "Rotate". I remember being flummoxed years back, then it eventually clicked. So not surprising Pixologic are tweaking the UI, they want to popularise ZB.

Those live Booleans look amazing. At present Boolean subtractions aren't interactive and involve a bit too much button pressing.

sadkkf
10-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Kind of curious about that myself although the new version 4R8 adds multi-language support so I'm guessing this is the first version that has it?

Um...4R8? I thought they said R7 was the last version before 5.0.

hrgiger
10-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Um...4R8? I thought they said R7 was the last version before 5.0.

Yep, that's what they said. I'm a little disappointed to not see version 5 yet but it seems after they made the decision to put out Zbrush Core, they decided on a 4R8 to tide people over until 5 was ready and people would have probably been upset if they hadn't. They also made a few enhancements to the toolset like the new gizmo and had to bring the regular version in line with Core. My 2 cents anyway.

sadkkf
10-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Yep, that's what they said. I'm a little disappointed to not see version 5 yet but it seems after they made the decision to put out Zbrush Core, they decided on a 4R8 to tide people over until 5 was ready and people would have probably been upset if they hadn't. They also made a few enhancements to the toolset like the new gizmo and had to bring the regular version in line with Core. My 2 cents anyway.

Interesting.

hrgiger
10-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Interesting. So R8 is out now? I don't even know how to upgrade yet. They're still selling R7 on their site.

No date given on R8 but sounds like it should be anytime soon.

rustythe1
10-06-2016, 11:44 AM
well I don't think 4r7 was released until jan 2015 after it was announced in 2014 summit (could be wrong but the release blog is dated the end of January) so might be a few months, probably around the same time as 2017 is released

samurai_x
10-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Zbrush is english in japan. Not sure if there are euro versions.
Its almost a prerequisite to know it like maya and vray if someone wants to work in the CG industry.
English is not a barrier, language is easy.

http://i1.wp.com/3dnchu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Saya2016a_telyuka.png?w=457

http://i0.wp.com/3dnchu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Saya2016b_telyuka.png?w=457

js33
10-06-2016, 11:29 PM
Is that your model and render? It is very nice. I thought it was a picture until I scrolled down.

OlaHaldor
10-06-2016, 11:55 PM
I've never owned ZBrush, but I've been using it at school and lately, at work. But I've always wanted to spend more time with it and learn more. Looking at Core I was thrilled at first, but the feature list killed the thrill pretty quickly.

I talked to Pixologic support about "what happens if ZBrush 5 comes out soon? Do I get a free upgrade or do I get a discount?". It's been rumored ZBrush 5 will be a paid upgrade, or so I've been told. The support guy said "If it comes out within a year after your purchase you will get it for free". Whether it means I got a full year of "grace period" or if it's not a paid upgrade, I don't know.

hrgiger
10-07-2016, 06:43 AM
I've never owned ZBrush, but I've been using it at school and lately, at work. But I've always wanted to spend more time with it and learn more. Looking at Core I was thrilled at first, but the feature list killed the thrill pretty quickly.

I talked to Pixologic support about "what happens if ZBrush 5 comes out soon? Do I get a free upgrade or do I get a discount?". It's been rumored ZBrush 5 will be a paid upgrade, or so I've been told. The support guy said "If it comes out within a year after your purchase you will get it for free". Whether it means I got a full year of "grace period" or if it's not a paid upgrade, I don't know.

Well Zbrush CORE might not have everything you want compared to the full version but if there's an upgrade path, it might be an easier learning curve than trying to take on the full version. It really took me a good year of fiddling with Zbrush before it really clicked with me.

From what the support guy told you, that implies that version 5 will be a paid upgrade. And I have no problem with that. I've now received a ton of free upgrades over the last several years so people certainly have nothing to complain about if they're now asking for a upgrade cost.

wyattharris
10-07-2016, 09:13 AM
I've heard the clamor about ZB5 since 4r1 was released and I've never quite understood it. There have never been any confirmed features or major changes that 5 was going to have other than 64-bit support. (I follow ZB news very closely) We literally have no idea what is going to be in 5 and Pixologic seems more than happy to keep rolling whatever features are slated for 5 into version 4.

So just curious, why look to 5 when 4 is so fantastic?

hrgiger
10-07-2016, 09:26 AM
So just curious, why look to 5 when 4 is so fantastic?

Well for one stability. 4R7 is probably the most unstable version I've used. Its not awful, just in comparison to earlier versions, its less dependable.

But in general, as great as Zbrush is, there are many aspects to improve on. Zsphere retopology, UV tools, workflow, native rendering, a move beyond poly painting for texturing...

wyattharris
10-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Hmm, I've had no stability problems in the 4r7 line.
But to the point, all those things you listed, what gives you the idea 5 is going to address any of it?

That's more the point. Every time they announce the next version people say, "Yeah that's great but (sigh) its not 5," as though there was some killer feature they were waiting for. Again, 64-bit was the only feature they ever officially tied to 5 and we've already gotten that.

hrgiger
10-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Hmm, I've had no stability problems in the 4r7 line.
But to the point, all those things you listed, what gives you the idea 5 is going to address any of it?

None at all. But given that its likely the first paid upgrade, its been almost two years since the last release (and typically zbrush releases are more frequent than that), do you think the zbrush 5 update is going to be insignificant? Its not a matter of not appreciating current zbrush. Its in my opinion the best 3D tool on the market. But there are things to address as with any other program and people, including myself, are hoping some of those things get addressed eventually whether that be version 5, 5.2 or Zbrush 20. But the sooner the better. And given that 5 is (supposed) to be the next release, that's why people focus on it.
The new enhancements in the soon to be relreased 4R8 are nice but nothing that solves any particular difficulty I've faced in Zbrush. I do a lot of manual retopology and it got so tedious with the current toolset that I ended up buying 3DCoat for the sole purpose of doing retopo (and found UV work to be much easier in 3DCoat also). Both zsphere retopology and the retopo brush each have their own annoying aspects. Zremesher is great but still can't always replace manual retopo.

Zbrush 5 will be 64 bit only. And while 64 bit came with 4R7 as an option, it was explained on release that the 64 bit version of 4R7 is experimental and use at your own risk kind of thing. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the 64 bit version contributes to some of the stability issues I've encountered.

MichaelT
10-08-2016, 06:11 AM
I actually had the 64bit version crash on me once. But that was the only time, and I am not entirely sure it was the fault of the application either. I just had my new machine, and had not yet tuned the fans properly, and more than likely the CPU simply overheated in that one instance.