PDA

View Full Version : My 3D Coat PBR tutorial

yaschan
09-28-2016, 10:33 PM
I made a PBR texturing tutorial on 3D Coat 4.7. Here it is.
http://www.creativewithjaakko.com/2016/09/29/pbr-texturing-in-3d-coat/
Also I made a video in Youtube which was kindly shared by Pilgway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrjgZgUuIMA
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrjgZgUuIMA)

I hope these are useful to someone.

djwaterman
09-28-2016, 10:56 PM
This is really nice, can you go further and demo how to save out the object and import it into LightWave. I have my own techniques for converting the maps but I would like to see how other people do it. Also, I never figured out an easy way to update maps, it seems you have to save out the entire object again to create a bunch of new maps.

yaschan
09-28-2016, 11:30 PM
This is really nice, can you go further and demo how to save out the object and import it into LightWave. I have my own techniques for converting the maps but I would like to see how other people do it. Also, I never figured out an easy way to update maps, it seems you have to save out the entire object again to create a bunch of new maps. Thank you a lot. That's a good idea. I must do tutorial on that!

lertola2
09-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Thank you. This is very interesting.

erikals
09-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Thank You!  :bowdown:

yaschan
09-30-2016, 12:23 AM
Big thanks guys. I'll be doing Lightwave tutorials too, soon.

OFF
09-30-2016, 01:18 AM
Thank you!

yaschan
10-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Thank you!

As I keep making more 3D tutorials, all of them will appear here.
http://www.creativewithjaakko.com/3d-tutorials/

bobakabob
10-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Such a great tutorial, I can no longer resist investing in 3DCoat. Many thanks yaschan... more info on integration with LW would be greatly appreciated.

gerry_g
10-06-2016, 02:54 PM
is it just me or does the metalness component ever really convince in LW it always looks flat and lifeless, I've seen many setups to approximate PBR tried most of them and not one of them ever struck me as being the real deal.

erikals
10-06-2016, 03:53 PM
no expert, but maybe the flat look in LW is because of lack of HDRi and good lighting in general?
+lack of Tone Mapping.

again, no expert.

gerry_g
10-07-2016, 06:22 AM
"no expert".........apparently not, go set one up and see for yourself

erikals
10-07-2016, 08:41 AM
wow! Gerry the Humble!

thanks.

djwaterman
10-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Here are examples of using the metalness maps in LightWave.

yaschan
10-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Have you guys used Substance Painter Compound node in Lightwave? This can be used for any PBR textures in LW.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/substance-painter-in-lightwave/

gerry_g
10-08-2016, 06:01 AM
OK the problem I am having with metalness as a surface component is that that it is treating general bare metal the same as scuffs and scrapes knocking them out of the surface material with the one alpha, scuffs and scrapes are often chisel like grooves with a surface angles that reflect differently to the bare metal around it. Djwatermans example looks good but the only reason the metal is brighter is because it has a higher defuse value it's not really any more specular just brighter, in an HDR setup specula is nixed in favour of general reflectiveness as the higher dynamic range is capable of covering both reflection and specular highlights but the problem is I still need to bias my surfacing to account for or target what should be specular and what should be general reflection and a lot of these setups seem to me bland and simplistic, ok for games engines but not ideal for outputting more high end imagery.

ActionBob
10-21-2016, 08:54 AM
I think the PBR Metalness workflow is nice for quick and easy things, but like anything else, I think the maps generated by these programs (substance, 3d Coat, Quixel, Etc...) need massaging to take them from looking good to looking great.

If you wanted different reflective / spec values for the scrapes (aside from actually modeling those details or generating a normal map), wouldn't it be easy to just go back in and do a little painting on the alpha (where cuts and scrapes are) to give them an enhanced (boosted) value in comparison to the bare metal? Maybe double the cuts and scrapes alpha with something like multiply mixing to really up the contrast on those or mute the values to get what you are after?

I think a PBR "metalness" workflow allows a lot of not so great texture artists to get a nice starting point. But the really great texture artists are those that will still go in and massage the maps that were created "automagically."

Years ago, I taught a photoshop class at a tech school. One of my students at the beginning of the course was so eager to show me his Photoshop portfolio. When he presented his "work" to me, I was able to go to each image and list the filters he used to produce what was very generic / uninteresting work. I know this seems harsh, but by the end of my course, when he had other courses in drawing and learning of composition, he learned that filters and the like can be very useful and produce interesting effect, but you need to exercise complete control over them. He was much improved by the time he left my class and thanked me for having him look at things a different way.

Anyway, I am getting long winded. Simply put, I think these paint programs offer a HUGE time saving benefit to product a very good starting point. But if you want to get away from the generic feel and look that is so prevalent now, you still have to put in the extra painting and tweaking time. They are a start... The end point is still up to the artist. I am, however, happy to have these tools available.

-Adrian

gerry_g
10-21-2016, 03:28 PM
yeah after I wrote the above I looked at the Substance Painter setup for Lightwave which is way more sophisticated and as a result looks more accurate, my main issue with the one used here is the base metalness shader looks wrong it needs a kind of anisotropic look like the Dupont metalness node, the one here looks like nothing more than diffuse + reflection most of the time and just doesn't cut it, then again the Substace one uses a material node as its base which brings in lighting and shading issues so neither are satisfactory as a real PBR solution.