PDA

View Full Version : Flocking groups?

squarewulf
09-28-2016, 08:03 PM
I don't have access to lightwave right now but I have a project I have to start work on immediately when i get to my work station, and I remember flocking does not allow groups (unless i'm wrong of course).

Is there no way to group a flock to a goal, so I can have two or more flocks going to two or more goals? Or can i bake a set flock so I can compile my scene with different variations of baked actions?

prometheus
09-28-2016, 09:38 PM
That shouldnīt be impossible..

Flock master..
then add a new generator
add goal..move away...test it by calculate motion
repeat with adding another new generator, then goal and move that to another direction..
Now...calculating will just leat all the flocks to one goal, so try full evaluation, that should let the two flocks go to two goals.

Then it depends on strength and radius of the goals, as well as location..so even one flock from one generator can split away towards two goals as well.

Thomas Leitner
09-29-2016, 12:44 AM
....Now...calculating will just leat all the flocks to one goal, so try full evaluation, that should let the two flocks go to two goals.

Then it depends on strength and radius of the goals, as well as location..so even one flock from one generator can split away towards two goals as well.

Hi,
I donīt think there is a way to separate one flock from an other (if they live at the same place). "Full Evaluation" is used to evaluate mesh deformations per frame.

....Or can i bake a set flock so I can compile my scene with different variations of baked actions?

You can save out your flock to a PFX file and load it back to any emitter (ParticleFX). So you can have as many flocks as you need.

ciao
Thomas

Kinetic Shapes
09-29-2016, 05:26 AM
Sadly no grouping. I started a thread on it when building up sides of a logo, but it got blown up when the forums went down. I hope they have included grouping for flocking in the new release whenever it comes out.

prometheus
09-29-2016, 07:01 AM
Hi,
I donīt think there is a way to separate one flock from an other (if they live at the same place). "Full Evaluation" is used to evaluate mesh deformations per frame.

You can save out your flock to a PFX file and load it back to any emitter (ParticleFX). So you can have as many flocks as you need.

ciao
Thomas

That is most likely correct, I was disregarding the true group intention here and just tested on two groups living nearby eachother, not grouping emminating from the same spot.

mummyman
09-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Sadly...flocking is in need of a big update. Huge potential and amazing things can be done with it, as-is.. but seems like it was an amazing tool, then, well, was just left unfinished.

prometheus
09-29-2016, 08:29 AM
Sadly...flocking is in need of a big update. Huge potential and amazing things can be done with it, as-is.. but seems like it was an amazing tool, then, well, was just left unfinished.

Yes..I think so to, flocking is one of the least used features I think for me in the newer lw version, I donīt like that I canīt see the direct seem when calculating..even if that may be faster.
Particle fx linking isnīt possible unless pfx out it, or baking the flocking to null agents, which renders any tweak of the flocking useless afterwards when you ..let say want a flock of kinematic body collide with bullet, for that I use old particle system, so if they could update flocking to work directly with fx linking of kinematic bodies without baking.

the hole behaviour option could be more AI intelligent as well.

pinkmouse
09-29-2016, 05:56 PM
...but seems like it was an amazing tool, then, well, was just left unfinished.

The story of Lightwave...