PDA

View Full Version : MAX objects to Lightwave objects?

cove
09-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Over recent months ive downloaded some free MAX format objects hoping to be able to convert them to
Lightwave objects or a format that Lightwave eccepts.
Looked at some free convertion software but none seem to list MAX format in there format list.
Do you know of any software that will convert from MAX to lightwave or other format?. Thanks for any info.

Exclaim
09-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Over recent months ive downloaded some free MAX format objects hoping to be able to convert them to
Lightwave objects or a format that Lightwave eccepts.
Looked at some free convertion software but none seem to list MAX format in there format list.
Do you know of any software that will convert from MAX to lightwave or other format?. Thanks for any info.
Wings3d might help. Wings can export Lightwave objects, and it can import 3ds files.

rustythe1
09-24-2016, 09:39 AM
he means max files not 3ds, the only way is via 3dmax, and usually it has to be the same version as the object was created in, eg if it was 2015 it probably will not load into 2014, also a lot of max models are also vray dependant, you just need to find someone with max willing to load and save them as obj or 3ds as both come into lightwave fine, vray materials however will not, don't think there is a single bit of software that imports max files (even maya etc) I am sure autodesk purposely employ people to export tons of archviz elements in max format just to force the software,

erikals
09-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Max is boring that way, but personally i installed the Max trial (it's gigantic, 9GB) and then converted a few files.

rustythe1
09-24-2016, 10:29 AM
yep, for other formats though, micrmouses accutrans is good, and free, and supports a lot of formats, even keeps lightwaves layers, lots of export options.

erikals
09-24-2016, 10:49 AM
looks cool, won't read a .Max / Maya file though.

so, Trial is the way for those.

not sure how often you can install a trial?

cove
09-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Thanks all for advice given.
Looks as if the best advice is to download trial version of MAX and do an import and export.
Hopefully there will not be any restriction on exporting of files.
Think ill look for more MAX files before downloading the trial version so i can take advantage of the 30 days trial period.

"rustythe1"
Thanks for extra info about MAX files being linked to particular versions.
All i can do is download the latest version and see what happens.
If the latest version dose not work then ill have to see if there is an earlier version to download.

erikals
09-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Hopefully there will not be any restriction on exporting of files.
no restrictions. http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

all the files i had exported fine with the trial.  :]

js33
09-24-2016, 01:48 PM
Max is one of those **** stains on the 3D world. You are either all in with Max or don't use it or its files at all.

erikals
09-24-2016, 01:59 PM
very true http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

but ain't we all like that ?

:hey:

jasonwestmas
09-24-2016, 05:48 PM
very true http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

but ain't we all like that ?

:hey:

Most of us, but not all.

Rayek
09-24-2016, 07:25 PM
yep, for other formats though, micrmouses accutrans is good, and free, and supports a lot of formats, even keeps lightwaves layers, lots of export options.

Accutrans is NOT free - please consider the developer's hard work.

And yes, Accutrans is a really helpful 3d object converter.

rustythe1
09-25-2016, 02:20 AM
I did pay for a commercial lic

Snosrap
09-25-2016, 08:18 PM
AFAIK all 3rd party converters require 3DMax to be installed locally for 3DMax conversions to take place.

erikals
09-25-2016, 11:58 PM
yes, that's AutoDesk policy alright. :)