PDA

View Full Version : Anisotropic trouble

Philbert
09-22-2016, 10:37 AM
I'm working on this new watch face design for the Samsung Gear Fit2 and I'd like to have some anisotropic spec on the 3 blue circles but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm using the shader node and even looked up an old tutorial William Vaughn did. Any ideas? I also tried it on the black face background and it didn't work there either. I'm fiddling with all the settings, turning the nodes checkbox on and off and it looks the same whatever I do.

MonroePoteet
09-22-2016, 11:46 AM
For anisotropic surfaces, be sure to move / rotate the Light around to produce the Specular effects. Anisotropic, Specular and Bump are used to "fake" small details in a surface's reflection which won't show unless there's Light to be reflected. Move the Light so it's positioned and rotated to reflect in the surface to see the anisotropic effect.

Attached is a quick sample scene. The anisotropic effect here is a combination of the Anisotropic shader node and a Bump / Specular Turbulence procedural with a very small (1mm) X size to add the "brushed" effect. Turning off the Nodes shows just the Bump contribution, and disabling the Procedural Texture in Bump and Specular shows the Anisotropic node contribution.

Again, moving the Light around to see the effect is critical (in VPR or F9 Render).

mTp

Philbert
09-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Thanks I'll take a look. I'm concerned that moving the light will mess up other parts of the scene but maybe I can add a light that only affects that one surface.

Philbert
09-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Ohh! In the light the checkbox for "Affect Specular" was off. As soon as I turned that on I got the effect. The scene is using sIBL which must have turned off the checkbox.