PDA

View Full Version : How to do a simple radial array with instancer

nnasr.rm
09-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Hi,
I have a plane that i want to a radial array of in light wave layout. I want to use instancer because I want to adjust the number of instances and random rotation dynamically without each time doing it with the radial clone script and having to delete and readjust and delete every time I want to do a change.
I tried all kinds of settings in instancer but I can't simply seem to radial duplicate my plane. I need it to use it's pivot as a center.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

prometheus
09-22-2016, 10:34 AM
add a null at origin, name it instancer, enter itīs property and instancer tab, add instancer, then double click and open , and add your other object (plane) set mode to array, give it a few instances and change radius, thatīs it.
not sure if you set it up right? you do not add instancer on the object you are suppose to instance, for that you have to create a null, or use another object to serve as an instancer.

Sensei
09-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Make object in Modeler,
remove polygons,
and then use points as source of positions for instances.

jeric_synergy
09-22-2016, 10:59 AM
First off, this question should be in 'General', not 'Community'.

2nd: it sounds like you are possibly trying to instance the object on itself. TMK, that doesn't work (maybe it does). A more reliable way is to have a 'host' object that defines how the instanced objects are replicated. Or you could LAYOUT CLONE your plane and use the original as the host and the clone as the instanced object.

Let's say your plane is 3x3 divisions, meaning 4 points on a side. If you use the POINTS distribution mode, instances of your plane will appear at every point in the host object. VISIBLY, this might be very hard to see-- you might set up with spheres first to get your practice. Instances appear with their pivot points at the designated spot, in most case, minus permutations you add.
++++++++++++++++

Reading your post again, Try this:

load your plane
make a null
add an instance generator to the NULL
add your plane to the instance list
in the TYPE dropdown, select RADIAL ARRAY.
make the RADIUS bigger than your object.

prometheus
09-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Make object in Modeler,
remove polygons,
and then use points as source of positions for instances.

That will not allow for change of amount of instances per say, unless you make a disc with enough points, then you would have to control amount by the settings.
I would recommend just using the array..itīs there, and no modeling needed.
using points may be trickier to change amount of instances over time, which you may need nodes for (I think) and use weight, there is no envelope for point amount in the instance tab.

otherwise, create a disc, add pfx to it, and use object vertices or object normal and control particle amount with the particle frame rate and envelope, then choose particles in the instance tab, that way you can control amount of instances by enveloping the birth rate..and instances pop in over time.

MonroePoteet
09-22-2016, 12:26 PM
Personally, I like the versatility of the "points object" for instances. Attached is a sample scene with a really quick, clunky airplane and a jittered disc with 24 points for the Instancer point source. By using "Points" and "Max Points" in Instancer on the instance point object, you can control the number of instances with Weight (e.g. in this scene, Weight is set to 50% for 12 instances).

The instance point object can also be deformed. In this scene, I use a moving Turbulence procedural to move the planes kind of randomly as they fly by. Note that when you deform the points object, you have to move the frame slider (e.g. left-arrow then right-arrow) to see the Instancer reflect the new point positions.

Hope it helps!
mTp

jeric_synergy
09-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Personally, I like the versatility of the "points object" for instances.
Absolutely, and in case it's not obvious, there doesn't even need to be ANY polygons in such a host object, it can JUST be points. Or particles.

A null is just a quick way to get there if one is going to use simple distributions like ARRAY/RADIAL ARRAY. --Or even "PIVOT", which seems limiting but I imagine has some uses. Somewhere. Somehow.

:stumped: Actually, I'd like to know when that is useful. I remember there are cases where ONE instance makes sense, but I can't call it up right now.

prometheus
09-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Absolutely, and in case it's not obvious, there doesn't even need to be ANY polygons in such a host object, it can JUST be points. Or particles.

A null is just a quick way to get there if one is going to use simple distributions like ARRAY/RADIAL ARRAY. --Or even "PIVOT", which seems limiting but I imagine has some uses. Somewhere. Somehow.

:stumped: Actually, I'd like to know when that is useful. I remember there are cases where ONE instance makes sense, but I can't call it up right now.

I use clone instances when doing rock parts and move around and rotate manually and manually place it where needed.
As for starting with a null as instancer, if nothing else is needed for array or rectangular arrays, itīs the simplest way, also ..you can parent stuff and keep order of things with that.
Also..it may be simpler to clone instance some trees as well, if you manually want to place them on some specific area and keep them changable within scenecontext, rather then rely on points that you canīt manipulate in layout, or geometry you wouldn need to change in modeler.

heres a very simple particle setup with birth rate envelope so the instances is actually working on particles set to object normal and with the particles birth rate.
You could with particles instead of points also trigger the birth to be set to event, so a collision object moving through or around the disc will trigger the particle and instance birth, and the other way around you could erase them with collision set to erase.

prometheus
09-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Personally, I like the versatility of the "points object" for instances. Attached is a sample scene with a really quick, clunky airplane and a jittered disc with 24 points for the Instancer point source. By using "Points" and "Max Points" in Instancer on the instance point object, you can control the number of instances with Weight (e.g. in this scene, Weight is set to 50% for 12 instances).

The instance point object can also be deformed. In this scene, I use a moving Turbulence procedural to move the planes kind of randomly as they fly by. Note that when you deform the points object, you have to move the frame slider (e.g. left-arrow then right-arrow) to see the Instancer reflect the new point positions.

Hope it helps!
mTp

yes..that is nice, for airplanes I would probably use particles though, also good when you add a wind with animation path and let the particles flow through that with a set of planes or indepence alien vessels :)
The use of points and displacement would fit better with insects and beeīs I reckon, try switch procedural and use ripple instead and they will swing back and forth :) though I am sure you are aware of that.
The question is when and where to use what method.