PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 update disaster!

rustythe1
09-22-2016, 04:57 AM
anybody else just had the windows 10 anniversary update?
for me it has screwed up lightwave! slowed down to a complete crawl, click on file, load and it takes for ever to open a window, it looks like windows have added something to the active window (it changes to a different colour when its active) but this seems to be impacting drastically on lightwave, both modeller and layout 2015.3
anyone else having these issues?

rustythe1
09-22-2016, 05:05 AM
to add, it appears drop down menus and requesters are not rendering, you can click on the area a dialogue should be and after a time something happens, big bodge from MS by the look of it

rustythe1
09-22-2016, 05:37 AM
defiantly an MS problem, found other users reporting the problem, it affects just about all software not just lightwave, the only way to view a dialogue or window is to hit Printscreen, WTF

MichaelT
09-22-2016, 06:48 AM
I had to fix nearly 9 bugs, but had to revert the last one (or it would have been 10) because it was connected to a deep issue that trashes windows if I try fixing it (it is connected to yet another problem regarding system accounts) Anniversary is a royal mess. I won't go into what I found, but if you can, don't install anniversary. They even removed some rights from users having pro versions, to enterprise only. Many surrounding auto updates, and prevention of adware & adverts from being installed by Microsoft. They are really dedicating themselves when they walk down the wrong path. It would be hilarious, if it wasn't so sad.

rustythe1
09-22-2016, 07:18 AM
I think the update thing was changed a little while ago, the anniversary update was actually a forced on, I did not even make me aware it was happening, a lot of changes, any way I am usually good at putting two and two together an I have found that the problem is the Asus software so this will probably affect a lot of people running it, this is what I posted there,
Hi,
today I windows 10 decided to install the major anniversary update, this is a major update with a lot of changes (a bit like going from 8 to 10) unfortunately I had major problems with new windows, drop down boxes, dialogue boxes not rendering, all you got was an empty frame with the desktop showing through, and the pc was very slow although the processor was not under any load,
hitting print screen then renders the window contents so they are there, just not visible,
display drivers are up to date etc, its a ROG rampage V,
after trawling the windows forums I managed to put two and two together as there are many reports of this with no fix, and I have found AI suite 3 is the culprit, after uninstalling all problems vanish, reinstall it and they come back,
I have a vague suspicion that its linked to the new one drive print screen feature added in the latest 10*update*as the print screen button has a direct effect on a one time fix.
if this is shown as a wide spread problem can we please have a fix to AI3 as its a feature I use a lot for 3d rendering when I need to slow down the pc a little to prevent over heating on animation renders.

kyuzo
09-22-2016, 07:47 AM
I upgraded to Windows 10 on our laptop. Some things broke, I didn't like it, so within a fortnight I'd gone back to Windows 7. Sounds like I made the right decision!

Sorry to hear about all your problems though, sounds like a right disaster...

rustythe1
09-22-2016, 09:15 AM
and typically because it is software compatibility it will be up to asus to fix, and as they never made ai suite 2 updated for older i7 boards not likely going to happen, I have a 980x that now cant be clocked or use turbo boost as it can only run standard MB drivers in windows 10

prometheus
09-22-2016, 09:26 AM
I decided not to update to windows 10, too uncertain..and I prefer others going the unknown path before I do in cases like this.
So IŽll keep my win 7 for a while.

Michael

Danner
09-22-2016, 11:13 AM
I usually build PCs from chosen parts, but when I'm in control of a brand machine the first thing I do is remove all the bloatware, I dunno about others but Asus and Acer install a lot of really useless and conflicting crap.

Philbert
09-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Strange. I ran the update the other day. I see no problems at all.

RudySchneider
09-22-2016, 12:32 PM
I've heard other people express their frustration with the Windows 10 update. An IT guy at work suggested I instead do a clean install of Windows 10, because the media was readily available from Microsoft for free (prior to the upgrade deadline). I followed his suggestion and haven't had any problems with Lightwave or any other application.

rustythe1
09-22-2016, 12:53 PM
I usually build PCs from chosen parts, but when I'm in control of a brand machine the first thing I do is remove all the bloatware, I dunno about others but Asus and Acer install a lot of really useless and conflicting crap.

was not a brand machine, i built the machine myself and has a full win 10 licence not a shop copy, AI suite is used to alter clocking on the fly without going into bios so that's the only thing from them installed, you can temporarily de clock an overclock from ai suite if things are getting to hot,

rustythe1
09-22-2016, 12:58 PM
I've heard other people express their frustration with the Windows 10 update. An IT guy at work suggested I instead do a clean install of Windows 10, because the media was readily available from Microsoft for free (prior to the upgrade deadline). I followed his suggestion and haven't had any problems with Lightwave or any other application.

yes, it seemed quite wide spread, and no fixes as people assume it was a MS bodge, however the cause is completely unrelated to the symptoms so very hard to find the cause, but actually its technically now ASUS's problem even though it was windows that messed it up,

m.d.
09-22-2016, 01:58 PM

Just FYI for anyone looking...
The win 10 upgrade is still freely available through the Microsoft accessibility upgrade

Just google it if you need it...intended for people needing accessibility, but it is the exact same as regular win 10, and no questions are asked.

They intentionally left a very wide door open for anyone who missed the deadline

m.d.
09-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Also just a boost for win10....it has some major performance advantages especially in usb3

All prior Windows builds requires 3rd party USB3 drivers, now win10 has its own vastly superior drivers

My 12 tb raid 5 array connected to my dual boot desktop will run 184MB/sec in win7 and 240MB/sec in win 10.....identical hardware, just different drivers

So there are quite a few win10 advantages over older versions

MichaelT
09-22-2016, 04:40 PM

Clean installs are reported to work better afaik anyway.

jasonwestmas
09-22-2016, 07:33 PM
So far the latest update has broken all of lightwave's licensing capabilities. So I reinstalled Lightwave 2015.3 and that appeared to fix the licensing issue. I haven't noticed anything else.

Kryslin
09-28-2016, 12:37 AM
I ran into the "Cannot write to the system hidden partition" problem during my upgrade to Win10. After making a drive image of my C Drive, I went and changed the partition size from 100MB to 400MB, and Win10 installed just fine. Three additional updates got the right video driver, the classic windows games (sans Ads), and the correct audio drivers. Lightwave itself loads faster, renders a little bit faster. I'll be going in and shutting down as much as the tracking as I can here this weekend.

Jaqen
09-28-2016, 02:48 AM
Just for the record, my installations were all fine.
I made no special preparations and simply followed the instructions.

coremi
09-29-2016, 12:20 PM
Windows 10 is awesome but... You have to make a clean install. To make a clean install there are 2 posibilities: 1. you have a brand new Windows 10 licence or 2: you upgrade from windows 7/8 to windows 10. If you upgrade there are a lot of issues, so all you have to do is upgrade to windows 10 then activate your licence, your computer info will be stored at microsoft and the make a clean reinstall of windows 10 and will activate automatically. There are very few issues with windows 10, i have installed and setup at least 300 machines in networks with shares, domain etc.... About sharing, it is diferent from windows 7, read about it. Folders share is same but drive share is different.

Rayek
09-29-2016, 02:24 PM
I considered upgrading my Windows 7 Pro installation to WIndows 10 (I mean it was free, right?). But then I read that my hardware setup would disallow an update, and I realized I would have to re-install everything - something that would take me at least two or three weeks between work and life. And some of my hardware may not be supported at all by Windows 10.

My current system is super stable, and fast - why break something that works? So I decided against it for now. Perhaps in a year or two.

genesis1
10-05-2016, 05:24 AM
Reasons I haven't upgraded to Win 10

Microsoft openly stated that pervasive data collection will be present in any Windows version starting from Windows 10 and as a host of research on the Internet shows, this data collection cannot be disabled using official means.
Secondly, Microsoft has stripped us of controlling Windows updates.
Thirdly, as Microsoft has stated multiple times, Windows 10 will not have any service packs, Windows 10 is the final version of Windows, because Windows 10 has become a service, it will be updated over time to bring new features and remove the old ones. Windows 10 you might have updated to in July 2015 will be a different OS than Windows 10 plus all its updates a year later.

Found this quote from a prior MS employee online: Full Disclosure:

'' I worked at M$ from 2014-2015.

MS has some very talented programmers. They're not very common, but they exist. The problem is that the entire company is completely and totally focused on developing an absurd number of new features and products, giving them completely unrealistic deadlines, and then shipping software on those deadlines no matter how half-assed or buggy it is.

The idea is that everything is serviceable over the internet now, so they can just "fix it later", except they never do. This perpetuates a duct-tape culture that refuses to actually fix problems and instead rewards teams that find ways to work around them. The talented programmers are stuck working on code that, at best, has to deal with multiple badly designed frameworks from other teams, or at worst work on code that is simply scrapped. New features are prioritized over all but the most system-critical bugs, and teams are never given any time to actually focus on improving their code. The only improvements that can happen must be snuck in while implementing new features.

As far as M$ is concerned, all code is ****, and the only thing that matters is if it works well enough to be shown at a demo and shipped. Needless to say, I don't work there anymore.''

I'll stick with Win 7 pro. Works well for me, and runs LW and other software good enough for me. That's just my personal preference. If Win 10 works for you, then go for it.

MichaelT
10-05-2016, 06:43 AM
The employee was there a very short time. Doesn't mean the info is incorrect, but it does make is less reliable. As it all too often comes out comments like this from disgruntled ex employees.
That said, Microsoft have enabled telemetry from Windows 7 and up (mandatory) In fact they (this summer) stated they would enforce many of the things present in Win10 on earlier versions going back to Windows 7.

Do what I do, disable Windows Update process from even being allowed to start at all. Make it your choice to update.

I know you don't have Windows 10, but those who have might find this one interesting: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 (it's free)

lardbros
10-05-2016, 07:30 AM
Sounds to me like a person with very little knowledge... and we all know that is dangerous!
Also sounds very much like someone who did an internship, and doesn't fully understand the business... I'd take that with a pinch of salt really.

jasonwestmas
10-05-2016, 07:58 AM
yeah I hear a lot of don't do this and don't do that because X amount of things are faulty or unconscionable. The best review of something is when the pros and cons are weighed together. There will always be trade-offs obviously. Like all software, do what is best for the project at hand. Switch things up if things aren't working the way you want them to.

bobakabob
10-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Staying with W7 as it works (with a system image for backup)
A clean install of W10 and software which may or may not work sounds like a world of pain. Earlier versions of Maya and Premiere Pro for example, are unlikely to function. I intend to shell out for a new workstation once W10 has settled down as I'm not sure there are too many advantages.

prometheus
10-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Staying with W7 as it works (with a system image for backup)
A clean install of W10 and software which may or may not work sounds like a world of pain. Earlier versions of Maya and Premiere Pro for example, are unlikely to function. I intend to shell out for a new workstation once W10 has settled down as I'm not sure there are too many advantages.

That may be the approach I end up with too, I think win 7 works for me good enough, I donŽt wanŽt to mess with it, and I reckon I will look at a new workstation maybe 2-3 years from now and at the same time tracking other users feedback on the errors or the goodies of win10 during that time.

Rayek
10-19-2016, 11:57 PM
Windows 7 may have been the last Windows I have installed. I am planning to slowly make the switch to Linux - after working with Linux Mint for a while on a dedicated partition, I have to say I like it much more than either Windows 10 or the latest incarnations of MacOsX.

A couple of applications are keeping me from making the switch right now (no InDesign, one or two other Windows applications I use in my work), and I gather in a year or two or three I will be working on a Linux distro, with perhaps VirtualBox to run an older version of Windows.

We will see where the wind takes us.

Areyos Alektor
10-23-2016, 11:32 AM
"LightWave" works fine in "Windows 10". As I just said in another topic :

In "Windows" to avoid any problems better is to install "Newtek" software in a "Newtek" directory (or other) but outside of "C:\Program Files" and think to run in Administrator mode (in the properties of the application).

And if we want to go further just to avoid exotic usernames and put plugins in a specific root directories.

In terms of performance and stability system must be updated and drivers too ! From a technological point of view "Windows 7" is completely outdated (multiscreen, multi-window, SSD, network, management of 3D screens, etc...).

And not to mention the applications which no longer support "Windows 7" officially.
Example "DaVinvi Resolve" :
http://www.atreid.com/davinci-resolve-studio-version-12.5-mac-pc.html

Greenlaw
10-23-2016, 04:49 PM
FWIW, Lightwave 2015.3 appears to run fine on all our Windows 10 computers with the recent anniversary update. I'm working with some heavy scenes right now and it's been reasonably fast--at least it's not noticeably slower than before the update.

Maybe the graphics driver needs to be updated?

JohnMarchant
10-25-2016, 03:14 AM
Running LW 2015.3 in Windows 10 latest fast ring edition, no problems what so ever. The only thing you need to sort out is the permissions part. Someone else has already stated that one solution is to install in C:/NewTek, not in the default C:/Program Files. Its a work around and quicker to sort out permissions.